The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 24, 2004, 04:48 PM   #1
Ironbarr

VT - Rifle Fishing... a hoot..........(?)

Local TV news just showed "two old boys" (old for sure) doing their annual shoot fishing. A couple revolvers were used, but this one old feller had a scope semi-auto rifle - definitely not a .22LR but unknown to me. There were several short scenes of him inserting magazine etc. The last TV clip was him raising his scoped rifle, aiming at some fish (like 6 feet away considering the down angle of the muzzle) and about the time he was squeezing off, the mag fell out and into the water... the TV clip ended as he bent over to find the mag. I let out a hearty laugh on that one. Never showed any fish.

In VA, shooting into and across water is mostly taboo except for foul hunters. VT must be fun.

-Andy

FWTV - For Whatever The Value
...When seconds count, most help is just minutes away.
Old May 25, 2004, 07:48 AM   #2
johnbt

AFAIK there is only one place where it's legal here. Note that it requires a fishing license and not a hunting license. JT

"Shooting with a rifle for suckers and carp from April 15 to May 31 during daylight hours in the shoals of the Clinch River within the limits of Scott County except, that it shall be unlawful to shoot fish on Sunday or within the limits of any town, or from any bridge. Fishing license is required. Creel limit: 20 per day."
Old May 27, 2004, 11:31 AM   #3
Poodleshooter

Quote:
In VA, shooting into and across water is mostly taboo except for foul hunters. VT must be fun.
Nope, VA also allows shoot fishing for carp and chubs in one county down near Lynchburg. I can't recall which one. It's in the fishing regs.
That doesn't count using a bow of course.
edit: I should read the other responses first
Old June 5, 2004, 01:58 PM   #4
gifted

How do bullets deflect firing into water?
Old June 5, 2004, 11:37 PM   #5
Ironbarr

It's a matter of angle and several other considerations (force, weight, shape, for some), but a shallow angle could let them skip much as a stone does. Steeper angle? My experience is that (it looks like) the entry angle changes, but frankly, it may be just light refraction that it appears as such. In movies they seem to continue on the entry angle until dissipated when photographed by under water cameras.

I'm sure we have better informed folks among us... let's see what they may add (or detract).

-Andy

FWTV - For Whatever The Value
...When seconds count, most help is just minutes away.
Old June 6, 2004, 09:55 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I disremember the specific angle of refraction, but if you aim directly at a fish, you're gonna shoot over him. Ya gotta hold under.

, Art