The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 19, 2000, 03:42 PM   #1
Badger Arms

Does anybody have any first-hand experience with the current crop of Chinese Ithaca 37 clones. I've picked one up and handled it, but would like to hear other's opinion of the gun from firing it and owning it before plunking down the $125 for it... Yeah, I'm cheap.
Old November 19, 2000, 07:38 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Cheap is one thing, Badger, another is supporting the largest dictatorship remaining in the world.That clone,which may be an excellent shotgun, is made by slave labor and the poor folks that make it will never be allowed to own one.

With the many great used US-Made shotguns out there as priced not much higher than $125, I recommend going with them.
Old November 19, 2000, 08:09 PM   #3
twoblink

I'd be interested in an Ithaca clone also. But one thing I have to say, Ithaca has quality that is first rate, and I don't know about the chinese clones being able to say that. And since I am going to putting a 12 or 20 gauge shot in there, I'd like to avoid blowing up my hand, or those other hunters around me, and so I'd be weary of the quality of craftsmanship...

$125 for an Ithaca sounds tempting though...

Albert
Old November 20, 2000, 11:46 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Politics notwithstanding, my understanding is that parts are not interchangable with an Ithaca.
Old November 21, 2000, 12:52 AM   #5
Badger Arms

I still buy Wartime CZ-27's and I don't feel that this supports the Nazis anyhow. I think that granting "Most-Favored-Nation trading status" to China is more a sin than buying a gun made over there. I was under the impression that NORINCO was a State Factory manned by Regular Army soldiers, not slaves. At any rate, I have no ethical problems buying from them.

I don't know that the parts interchange, but wasn't under the impression that they did. No problem there... I just wanted to examine the gun and shoot it myself. I can still find $200 Police Trade-in's often enough that I don't really need another, was just curious. I remember seeing two action bars on the one I examined also. Hmmmm.
Old November 21, 2000, 11:46 AM   #6
Shin-Tao

I tried one. Not mine, I have a Mossy left over from my last job.

Well, I can tell you that this example worked quite well. It felt rougher than an actual Ithica and the finish was simply not up to par. But the thing cycles and fired without a hitch. I don't know about parts interchangability, but I doubt it's possible.

If you want a more affordable Ithica, go try one. The one we played with digested 60 shells at a brisk pace without complaint.

As for Chinese politics, I can tell you that China isn't actualy a Dictatorship. Now, it isn't a Democracy either, but neither are we.
As China becomes more Capitalist and free, and the USA becomes less so, who's to judge?
Old November 21, 2000, 06:32 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Shin Tao, so Tenemin Square was just a classic case of media misreporting?

Or the dissidents still getting sentenced to long prison terms for being politically incorrect about things like human rights?

Badger, if the people working in that factory cannot own or bear arms,they're slaves. Armed people are free citizens, unarmed people are subjects, disarmed people are slaves.

And Most Favored Nation status for China reeks enough to make a buzzard puke....
Old November 21, 2000, 06:52 PM   #8
Shin-Tao

Sorry, but the Chinese do have their own civilian firearms.

Look into it.
Old November 21, 2000, 08:31 PM   #9
Gewehr98

Old and specious argument.

And being the patriotic person that I am, having been on active-duty for 14+ years to date, I suppose I should get rid of those three Norinco 1911A1's I bought several years ago to cleanse my conscience. That would make the Clintons and the Gores happy, which of course, would make both the buzzard and me puke...
Old November 22, 2000, 08:26 AM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Gewehr, there's some pretty ribbons in a trunk in the attic the kids will find someday, some names on a black wall in DC I can put faces to, some memories I will take to the grave w/o inflicting on any other person, and a shoulder that tells me when it will rain. So, don't start with the 14+ years stuff, you ain't the only one...

As for the Norincos, keep them, the damage is done. I did sell off a pretty good and tweaked SKS when I took this course of action, but that was a personal decision.
Old November 22, 2000, 05:05 PM   #11
BigG

Whoa, you mean we are not a colony of China as I thought?
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old November 22, 2000, 09:16 PM   #12
Badger Arms

Let's not buy Beretta's, H&K's, Para Ordnance, or Howa's either. Heck, I don't think people in Belgium can own them either.

So far as government Massacres, what about Waco, Ruby Ridge, and our wholesale slaughter of Indians, Chinese rail workers, and internment of Japanese 'looking' people during WWII. It's all shades of gray. G. Gordon Liddy can't legally posess a gun either. Is he a slave?

I put China somewhere between us and Nazi Germany. That doesn't mean I'll pass up a good value either. How many things do you use that come from China, Dave? Mugs, Clothes, Shoes, Car Parts, Paper, Oranges? Check into it. Your computer monitor might even be made there. Almost certain some of the parts in your computer are. Not person in a country can be a Slave.
Old November 22, 2000, 10:09 PM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I had family interned by the Japs, my step-father flew B-24s out of Guadalcanal and my father went ashore on D-Day; and I had some buddies who didn't make it back from Chosin Reservoir...

Seems to me it's a personal decision. If I refused to buy products from any of several countries for which I have scorn, I'd be doing without a lot of stuff.

Besides all that, I like my old Model 12 better, anyway...

, Art
Old November 22, 2000, 10:20 PM   #14
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Is this topic about a shotgun or about Politics. If it's about politics, we have a forum for that. If it's about a shjotgun, it belongs here. When in doubt, please look to the "intent" of the originator and stick to that...in this case that intent is neither implied, pregnant or dimpled. It's clearly punched.

Rich
Old November 23, 2000, 06:23 AM   #15
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Gordon Liddy is a convicted felon, a Gestapo type that got famous because he was doing a despot's dirty work and got caught at it. His posing as a pillar of moral rectitude as he does now would definitely make that buzzard queasy.

BTW,Badger, the Watergate tapes show him discussing with the other Federal felons the feasibility of using those WWII internment campos again, for the politically incorrect.

And we knowingly buy very little Commie stuff of any sort.

Rich is right, those that want to continue this should move to a political bb. I'm done with it....
Closed Thread