The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 4, 2000, 10:43 PM   #1
Halffast

I just bought a Browning A-5 in 16 ga. I was looking on the Browning web site to see if I could find out how old it is, but I could not find a serial number that matches mine. The serial number (at least I think it is the serial number) is stamped on the bottom of the reciever. It is "S 46xx". Am I looking in the right place for the SN? I could find no other numbers on the reciever.

The gun is in about 70% condition. Can you give me any idea what it might be worth. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Halffast

------------------
"I say that big talk is worth doodly-squat." Granny Hawkins from the Outlaw Josey Wales
Old April 5, 2000, 06:52 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

halfast:
Can you provide the other information stamped on the gun? This would help on the identification. Also: Does the stock have a nob type pistol grip.

Noticing your username as halfast, does this mean you cannot stop quick? Just a little humor there.

HJN
Old April 5, 2000, 03:04 PM   #3
Halffast

Harley,

Thanks for your reply. Yes the stock does have a knob type pistol grip. On the left side of the reciever it is marked "Sweet Sixteen", below that is the circled "R" for registered I think, the directly below that is "BROWNING", and below that is a small picture of who I guess to be JMB. On the right side of the reciver is five lines of stamping that reads from top to bottom if the gun is held muzzle up.

Z
(This symbol looks like a musical note with legs)
PV
(What appears to be a down arrow)

Also the reciever is engraved with a floral pattern and there is a zig-zag design as a border around the reciever that looks as it was done by hand as you can see the small imperfections in the pattern.

On the right side of the barrel it says "Made in Belgium". On the left side of the barrel there are three different lines of stamping. The first says "Browning Arms Co. St Louis Mo.", the next on is " * Special Steel 16 gauge shells 2 3/4 " ". The last line is a bunch of numbers and symbols. They are " OK 9(this 9 is smaller than the rest) 932 (a symbol that looks like a sideways Y) O (the musical note with legs symbol like on the reciever) PV". Then there is an "E" over a "LG" over a "*" all inside an oval with a crown on top. This is followed by a "16-70" inside an Omega symbol.

I hope that my desciptions are good enough and that they help you. Again, thank you so much.

Halffast

PS My nickname comes from the fact that I am not fast, but I am not slow either. So I must be.....Half fast!
Old April 5, 2000, 06:49 PM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Halffast:
According to my records your Sweet Sixteen was mfg'd from 1936-1976, by FN, in 16Ga only. The value from your description would be $400.00 there abouts. I cannot determine what year your specific "sixteen" was made.

HJN
Old April 6, 2000, 08:49 AM   #5
Halffast

Harley,

Thank you for your help. I really appriciate being able to get my questions answered here at TFL. This is the best forum on the net. Thanks again, and if I find out more on my 16, I'll let you know.

Halffast

------------------
"I say that big talk is worth doodly-squat." Granny Hawkins from the Outlaw Josey Wales