The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 12, 2000, 07:13 PM   #1
VinceMP

I have seen quite a few poster here and elsewhere thumb their noses at CS. How come?

They seem to be affordable quality knives. I am not much of a knife guy so I really wouldn't know though. Is it the knfe or Lynne Thompson that irks people?

Vince
Old November 12, 2000, 07:32 PM   #2
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Vince, I like Cold Steel knives. A lot. I've had and carried a Recon Tanto, a Voyager, a couple of Defenders and an SRK. I really like their tomahawks and walking sticks, and I'm saving up for one of their kukris for a truck knife.

However, Lynn Thompson just tends to set my teeth on edge. The terrible thing is that I've never met him. Just my impression, I guess.

LawDog

[This message has been edited by LawDog (edited November 12, 2000).]
Old November 12, 2000, 07:33 PM   #3
Joe Demko

Lynn "Tanto" Thompson is a hypemaster. The products are decent quality, but not worth the money in some cases. The tantos, for example, seem to end up spending a lot of time in a drawer judging from what I've seen among my friends who purchased them. They don't seem to be the all-around tool Lynn Thompson would like us to believe. That business about Carbon V steel is also hogwash. Cold Steel produces no knives, all are made for them under contract by other companies. No shame in that, contract work is a long standing tradition in the cutlery industry. Cold Steel simply does not have enough economic clout to have a steel company making up tiny custom runs of an exotic formulation of steel just for them. It is, apparently, just some kind of plain old carbon tool steel. Nothing wrong with that, either. Carbon steel is good stuff. Overall, there product line is OK but you are paying more for the hype. Camillus makes a lot of their knives for them, buy a Camillus and you'll get the same quality for less money. If you like the "tactical" type folders, I'd say the Pacific Cutlery ones are better designs and in the same price range.
Old November 12, 2000, 09:20 PM   #4
guerilla1138

i agree cold steel is a lot of hype.
yes their knives are ok, but spyderco, camillus, benchmade, columbia river knife and tool, emerson knives, outdoor edge, gerber, and buck are all knives that live up to their hype and in my opinion are better than cold steel knives.

you mean benchmade dont you golgo-13? pacific cutlery went bankrupt and tehn restarted again as benchmade in the late 80's if i am not mistaken.