The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 17, 2015, 04:42 AM   #1
Wharfrat197601

S&W, M36

Just bought this for personal carry.

Serial number starts with BAA----

Any clue as to the year the weapon was manufactured?

Thank you.
Old November 17, 2015, 04:47 AM   #2
upstate81

Thats a sweet piece. Im looking at one for myself here shortly.
Old November 17, 2015, 06:16 AM   #3
JimmyR

Check out the sticky at the top of the Revolver forum, it's a S&W revolver serial number search.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...77680&page=283
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old November 17, 2015, 08:05 AM   #4
RKG

Probably 1988.
Old November 17, 2015, 10:22 AM   #5
Wharfrat197601

Thank you. I looked for a thread. What rubber grip would you put on it? It is not the best handling revolver with the stock grips.
Old November 17, 2015, 10:36 AM   #6
wpsdlrg

There are endless options for grips, for your model 36. You'll have to determine what works best for you. You need to determine certain things, before choosing a set of grips. Hand size ? Recoil sensitive, such that you need the maximum amount of cushioning ? Two-finger boot grip style, or a full grip ? Etc., etc., etc.

Nobody can tell you exactly which grip to get. Google is your friend.
Old November 17, 2015, 10:37 AM   #7
David R

I put crimson trace grips on mine.

David
Old November 17, 2015, 10:41 AM   #8
Sharkbite

If you want to keep size to a minimum, the "boot grips" work well and are a huge improvement over the original ones.

If you dont mind going a little bigger then the options are endless. I like the feel of Houge and Pachmayer.
Old November 17, 2015, 11:02 AM   #9
Grant D

My Model 36 is a square butt, and I put black pearl grips on it to match my nickel Model 37 with white pearl grips, then put Pachmary rubber grips on it, and now have put the stock magnas back on it because they just seem to work the best for me for conceal carry.
I have a grip drawer to go along with my holster drawer for all my pistols!
Old November 17, 2015, 11:26 AM   #10
Model12Win

My Dad has a Model 37 in like new condition, made in the 60s

First centerfire I ever shot. Love that little piece. Just love it.
Old November 17, 2015, 12:17 PM   #11
Brit

If that 36 is second hand? I would venture a guess, it has never been fired.
Beautiful!

Once you find your best grip, swap the cylinder release with a modern one, bottom missing, helps with speed loader use. Or get it modified.

Have a Smith gunsmith round off the front of the trigger, big difference.
Leave the hammer on, if you might want to use the single action?
If you feel not? Chop it off.

Holster on belt, Kydex, close to body fit.
Old November 17, 2015, 12:43 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

I know no one will take my advice, but I say leave those grips alone. Hold the gun with your middle finger all the way up into the grip the way it was made to be held, and learn to shoot double action. That will give you better control (and less recoil problem) than any of the rubber grips or any of the filler grips.

Jim
Old November 17, 2015, 01:04 PM   #13
kilimanjaro

Second the motion to leave as is. Putting large grips on small pistols just ruins your concealability and are a crutch for poor handling.
Old November 17, 2015, 02:25 PM   #14
SEKLEM

I almost bought a 60's 36 a couple weeks ago for $450 at Gander Mountain. It was in very good condition, only fired a couple times and had a couple minor marks on it. The bluing was beautiful.
Old November 17, 2015, 06:52 PM   #15
Wharfrat197601

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
I know no one will take my advice, but I say leave those grips alone. Hold the gun with your middle finger all the way up into the grip the way it was made to be held, and learn to shoot double action. That will give you better control (and less recoil problem) than any of the rubber grips or any of the filler grips.

Jim
James, so with my middle finger all the way up into the grip, the middle portion of my index finger naturally falls onto the trigger. Are you advocating double action from that position or would you suggest trying to cheat back my index finger to get the first portion of my index finger onto the trigger for firing? It seems the gun is less stable when I cheat back.
Old November 17, 2015, 07:54 PM   #16
RIDE-RED 350r

I have a m36-7 circa 1991. Nice little carry piece and I left the original grips on it for ease of concealment. All of my other Smiths have either Altamonts or in the case of my 29-2, S&W combat grips. So I usually end up putting grips on that fit my hand better and that I like the looks of as well...but not the lil' 36

I find that my grip on it tends to naturally leave my pinky under the bottom of the grip. I have somewhat large hands but not like a gorilla. I don't find it unpleasant to shoot at all, it's a cupcake.

Another tip: If your 36 is anything like mine and my brother's, you may find that it shoots more accurately with lighter bullets. Never tried 158's in mine, but started at 140gr XTPs which were so-so. The went to 125gr Noslers which shot considerably tighter. I then made up a batch of 38's using 110gr XTP's and haven't yet gotten around to seeing how it does with those. So I have a few of those 125 grainers left that I use for carry.

Nice grab on a classic little snubby!
Old November 17, 2015, 08:44 PM   #17
Wharfrat197601

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE-RED 350r View Post
I have a m36-7 circa 1991. Nice little carry piece and I left the original grips on it for ease of concealment. All of my other Smiths have either Altamonts or in the case of my 29-2, S&W combat grips. So I usually end up putting grips on that fit my hand better and that I like the looks of as well...but not the lil' 36

I find that my grip on it tends to naturally leave my pinky under the bottom of the grip. I have somewhat large hands but not like a gorilla. I don't find it unpleasant to shoot at all, it's a cupcake.

Another tip: If your 36 is anything like mine and my brother's, you may find that it shoots more accurately with lighter bullets. Never tried 158's in mine, but started at 140gr XTPs which were so-so. The went to 125gr Noslers which shot considerably tighter. I then made up a batch of 38's using 110gr XTP's and haven't yet gotten around to seeing how it does with those. So I have a few of those 125 grainers left that I use for carry.

Nice grab on a classic little snubby!
What do you think of 130 grain +Ps through it? Like a PDX1 Defender load?
Old November 17, 2015, 11:25 PM   #18
Slimjim9

I have a 36-2 I got used a number of years ago. I can't stand the skinny stock grips. I put Pachmayr Compacs on it and it was soooo much nicer to shoot. Ruined it for pocket carry but it was too heavy for that anyway. I got an LCR357 for that and now keep the 36 as my bedroom gun. I have it loaded with Hornady Critical Defense Lite (yes the pink bullet load) on the chance that female family members might need to use it.

It's been said that a few +P rounds won't kill it, but personally, I'd stick to standard pressure rounds like the Hornday 90 or 110gr or Winchester Defend 130gr.
Old November 18, 2015, 04:01 PM   #19
RIDE-RED 350r

I haven't loaded or bought any +P stuff for my m36. If I want more HP I carry a 357 or bigger. Std 38spl only is what my little J-frame is fed.
Old November 20, 2015, 10:02 PM   #20
michael t

If going to be a carry pistol put the Taylor T grip on it ain't all pretty But make the stock grips work better and keeps the pistol small and easy to conceal Been choice for many many years.
Old November 22, 2015, 07:02 PM   #21
bedbugbilly

Wharfrat - My model 36 is my primary carry and I love it. Mine has serial beginning with BAB _ _ _ _.

I agree with you on the grips. I shot mine for a while with the factory grips . . sort of like holding on to a coarse horse hoof rasp. I switched mine out to a set of Pachmeyer (sp?) grips - I think they were called combat grips. They sort of wrap around the frame. I find them to be very comfortable and I no longer have a problem when putting a 100 or so rounds through it at the range.

I liked my 36 snub so much that I also found and purchased a model 36 with a three inch barrel. It too is a sweet little revolver. I carry on the belt in a Bianchi holster. The 36 snub tucks in tight to the body and is easily concealed under a sweatshirt, shirt tail, jacket, etc. I traded a Ruger 357 LCR in on mine and have never regretted it.

Enjoy your 36!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 24, 2015, 02:26 PM   #22
SMITH910

My 36 looks EXACTLY like that. Since mine (and yours) is in such good condition, I'd use it as a bedside gun as is. Hate to ruin it after years of carry. You can pick up a new model for that duty. Yes, the grip is hard to get used to, but it is beautiful and they don't really make them like that anymore. I paid like $190 5-6yrs ago for mine. It was a policeman's gun and hardly ever shot.
Old November 25, 2015, 09:05 AM   #23
dannyb

I love J frames and k frames. I have a couple of nickel-plated model 36s. One is practically unfired, so I keep that one in its original box. The other usually grabs a ride in the range bag no matter what else I'm shooting.
Old November 27, 2015, 12:38 PM   #24
PolarFBear

Way off topic - but topical

For Wharfrat196001 (or others familiar). Great picture. I would like to add pictures to my posts. How do you do it? I have a digital camera (a really good one). But just don't know how to enhance my posts. Pictures are entertaining but absolutely necessary for questions on reloading or repairs.
Old November 28, 2015, 02:18 AM   #25
Wharfrat197601

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarFBear View Post
For Wharfrat196001 (or others familiar). Great picture. I would like to add pictures to my posts. How do you do it? I have a digital camera (a really good one). But just don't know how to enhance my posts. Pictures are entertaining but absolutely necessary for questions on reloading or repairs.
I just load pics through my cell phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy s5. Takes really nice macros. I load them through Taptalk app which is what I use on most forums. If you do not use your cell phone you would have to upload your pics to a Snapfish or uploaded site then point the forum to the url with your pics. Somewhere in this forum it explains how to load pics.