The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2008, 04:40 PM   #1
Big Caliber

Hot 44spl loads?

Data for this question comes from the Hornady handbook, 4th edition, pages 613 & 617. Using the 240 hp/xtp bullet and 9.9 gns. of 2400, the listed velocity is 700 fps. This, using special brass is the maximum listed load. The same bullet and a charge weight of 16.9 gns. of 2400 gives a velocity of 1200 fps as minimum, using magnum brass. Now, using magnum brass, can I safely work up a load that will produce a velocity around 900-1000fps using this bullet and powder combo? I realize there are pressure differences due to case size difference of each caliber. Iv'e read, heard, and been told to never go below minimun loads listed, but also that 44spl loads are permitted in magnum brass in a magnum gun. So can I bridge this gap or am I looking to visit an urgent care room? Oh yeah, the gun in use is a Ruger SBH. Thanks for your input. And can this be done with the 357M components?

Last edited by Big Caliber; August 16, 2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: typos
Old August 16, 2008, 08:17 PM   #2
SL1

"Minimum" and "Start" are NOT the same thing.

Many manuals list "start" loads that are typically 10% less than their "Max" loads to give you a pressure reduction that is safe enough to start with if you intend to work-up to maximum. In some cases the start load may not be 10% less because of ignition issues(e.g., WW-296 / H-110 at 3% reduction), and you should not reduce THOSE. There are also some light max loads for low pressure cartridges that are marked "Do not reduce" because they may leave a bullet lodged in the barrel at lower pressures.

But, most of the time, the minimum acceptable load for a particular powder in a particular cartridge is well below the "start" load. Manuals that show only "start" and "max" loads do not tell you what minimum is acceptable. But, manuals that show a range of velocities and the charges of various powders that give those velocities show a large range of acceptable charges for most powders.

In situations where there are magnum made form slightly elongating standard cartridge cases, (e.g., 38 Special and 357 magnum, 44 Special and 44 Magnum, 45 Long Colt and 454 Casull), it is clear that you can load down a magnum case to the standard cartridge pressure with any powder that is acceptable in the standard cartridge. As you said, there is a little more powder necessary to get the 44 Special velocity in the magnum case because the magnum case is a little larger. But, you can get Special velocities when you put in enough powder to get Special pressures, which are WELL below magnum pressures and surely safe in a magnum revolver.

SL1
Old August 17, 2008, 01:09 AM   #3
Big Caliber

Fascinating, thank you very much. I have tinkered with this before, using only powders that are listed for both calibers. I just wasn't sure if I was pressing my luck, so I though to solicit the opinions of others on this site. Thanks again.

Tags
[email protected]