The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 20, 2005, 05:46 PM   #1
Russ5924

2 inch barrel fast or slow powder

Got thinking this afternoon have a 9MM with a short 2inch barrel.Should you use a faster or slower burning powder.Don't think I have ever seen this guestion before.With a little longer barrel may not make any difference but a very short it might.With slow burning powder bullet may be out of the barrel before it all burns.This is what I get for thinking
Old June 20, 2005, 06:03 PM   #2
Ben Shepherd

You are correct-generally.

However the slower powders will still get you more velocity than faster powders, just at the expense of more flash/blast.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old June 20, 2005, 08:35 PM   #3
Archie

Depends on bullet weight.

Ligher bullet needs faster powder.
Heavier bullet needs slower powder.

Barrel length really doesn't play into powder speed selection.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old June 20, 2005, 09:28 PM   #4
HSMITH

The powders that give top velocities in a 5" barrel are still going to give the top velocities in a 2" barrel, this has been proven many times. Ben is also right that the slower powders can give more flash and more muzzle blast than the faster powders. More flash isn't a hard and fast rule as some powders flash brilliantly and some don't, but in nearly all cases with increased velocity blast will increase just as it usually decreases as barrels get longer.
Old June 21, 2005, 07:58 AM   #5
crazylegs

Well, I can't verify this but my understanding is that slow powders in a short barrel continue to burn as the bullet exits the muzzle possibly upsetting its trajectory. Personaly, I use light bullets/fast powders out of my short barrel with better results than light bullets/slower powders. However, as mentioned, regardless of barrel length, faster velocities will be achieved with slower powders. The "light bullet/fast powder out of short barrels" equation, works for me in 45 ACP.
Crazylegs
Old June 21, 2005, 03:55 PM   #6
Mark whiz

Well.................
I know in loading for my 2" and 4" .38Spcl revolvers, I tend to get better accuracy out of the snubbie when using faster powders. this is using 158gr bullets - whether cast, plated, or jacketed.

I haven't really experimented with lighter bullets in the snubbie, other than the 145gr Win Silvertips that I load for both............however I've never been able to get what I considered acceptable accuracy out of the snubbie with the 145s. Maybe someday I'll get around to trying some 125s just to see.
I did try a box of factory 140gr XTPs to try and their accuracy was BAD - just too hot for that little gun to handle.
!