The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 6, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
steveNChunter

22/45 availability???

I've been around to a few gun shops in the area looking for a deal on a new Ruger 22/45. Nobody has ANY new. At every single place I have been, when I ask the guy behind the counter about ordering one, he laughs at me and says, "yea good luck finding a new one, I cant even put one on backorder right now." Why is this? They aren't in danger of being on any ban list. I've wanted one for a long time just to have an accurate target pistol that's cheap to shoot, but have had other handguns/rifles higher on my list. Now that I'm ready to buy one, so is everyone else.

Does anybody know whats going on with the unavailability of these things?

And how long it will last?
Old February 6, 2013, 08:22 PM   #2
steveNChunter

BTW, 22/45's aren't the only hard to find new .22's around here. They are all scarce.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Dragline45

Ruger has been behind on orders for close to a year now, and has actually not been accepting new orders untill they catch up if I remember correctly. They cant even fill the orders on the SR1911, yet they come out with a commander size variation of it? It's nice they offer a wide variety of guns, but if they cant keep up with the demand and put them out there, then what good does it do. I honestly don't expect to see the new SR45 readily available in shops around here for a year or more.

Quote:
And how long it will last?
Not just Ruger, but I suspect it will take a couple years for things to get back to normal.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:35 PM   #4
steveNChunter

Thats depressing. I am glad to hear that its not just because of the "panic"
Old February 6, 2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Joe_Pike

Ruger, like every other manufacturer, is backed up until doomsday it seems. I think a lot manufacturers have even stopped taking new orders until they get caught up a little. I don't know why anyone is looking for a .22 now anyway, the ammo is nearly as expensive as everything else now and hard to come by.

Quote:
I am glad to hear that its not just because of the "panic"
Well, I think it is because of the panic. I could find 22/45s, and many other .22s, quite frequently until a month and a half ago.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:50 PM   #6
elDiabloLoco

22/45 sighted in the wild

Saw three 22/45's ($345) in the display case of a store today, as well as a collectible Mark II. They had about 10 or twelve S&W 22A's.

Gunstore Guy said the 22/45's were from stock they had left from pre-xmas order, and that the threaded barrel versions had been snapped up within a couple of days of the verbiage of the AWB bill being made public.

They also seemed to have a good supply of 1911 22lr's ( RRA, Chiappa, Colt and Sig) in addition to the 22A's and exactly two Walther P22's.

If you want a threaded barrel, odds are against finding one easily.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:51 PM   #7
Contrast Man

It's a popular gun and Ruger's been pretty bogged down with orders. I'm sure they're making more centerfire semi autos to capitalize on this buying frenzy and put the .22's on the back burner.

I bought my 22/45 a year ago and wound up waiting about 2-3 weeks for it and there was no sense of unrest at that time.
Old February 7, 2013, 12:08 AM   #8
TheNocturnus

I just bought a 22/45 target mark III a few weeks ago. It was the last one in stock at my lgs. I only paid $300 otd for it.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old February 7, 2013, 12:20 AM   #9
KO3422

I think it's a combo of Ruger being backed up, the craziness of the time, and the added influx of everyone wanting to shoot only .22 due to cost.
Old February 7, 2013, 05:48 AM   #10
steveNChunter

Ammo is not a problem for me. I have a few thousand rounds stocked up and one of the local gun stores just started getting a good supply of it again. (Even though its $30 for a 500 round brick of CCI )

But I believe it will get cheaper and more available in a few months, just like any other senseless panic.

I may just buy a used 22/45 or MK but the trouble with that is everybody that wants to sell them wants a new price for one even in fair condition
Old February 7, 2013, 07:57 AM   #11
rebs

I bought a used MK II 22/45 in like new condition with case and paper work for 149.00 + tax before all the panic buying started.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:48 AM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
I've been around to a few gun shops in the area looking for a deal on a new Ruger 22/45.
Get a used one then.

These pistols never wear out and Ruger has an unofficial lifetime warranty. They will take care of you if there is any problem with the pistol.
Old February 8, 2013, 10:58 PM   #13
allenomics

The local gun shop owner may make more money when selling a used gun. That may be the motive, at least in part.

Ruger is probably using its capacity to produce guns that have higher profit margins right now. You might not need to wait too much longer. The 22/45 is readily available where I live.