The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 9, 2008, 04:25 PM   #1
cue7467

Looking for a bow INDIANA

I am looking to get a new to me bow this year. I have been considering a Hoyt or a Mathews, both are a little pricey but both are great bows. I am not necessarly looking for a NEW one but would prefer it be only a few years old. A friend called me today asking if i was interested in his Fred Baer Vapor bow he bought 2 years ago, he wants $200 for it. I do not know a ton about bows but have some knowlege. Is this a good bow that will last a long time and what experiances has anybody had with them, also is the price good? Does anyone have anything they are looking to sell or trade? Please let me know.
Old August 9, 2008, 04:56 PM   #2
PacoRocks

i dont know about the fred bear bow but i shoot a hoyt x-tech. Your right about them being pricey theres close to 1200 in mine I use it in indiana during early archery season just outside of vedersberg. It is a quick bow and i always get pass threw shots. I would try and get a fast bow if i were you to make sure you get pass threw shots on the big northern deer. a slower bow will kill just as dead but it is alot easier to follow a deer with a hole on both sides
Old August 9, 2008, 08:38 PM   #3
wpcexpert

What kind of poundage and draw weight are you looking for? I've got one that I could part with. Its an Archery Research AR34. 60-70lb pull, 29" draw length. I bought it new in 2004. It's killed a pile of deer.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old August 9, 2008, 08:53 PM   #4
cue7467

send me some pics please. [email protected]
Old August 10, 2008, 07:02 PM   #5
wpcexpert

Sorry brother, I've been out of the house. I'll send some as soon as I can.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old August 10, 2008, 08:28 PM   #6
whiskey

Check your local pawn shops. Offer them 1/2 o what they are asking and if they say no, say thanks anyway and turn and walk out. If you do get them to a price you like and buy it, take it to a local shop and let them inspect it and tune it for you.
Old August 10, 2008, 11:13 PM   #7
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Gotta watch out for used bows. They could be dryfired and not look like it.

I'm about one paycheck away from buying a Hoyt Katera XL myself. Super fast, very forgiving, very stable, very accurate... awesome bow. I've shot a lot of the others out there, Bowtech, Mathews, and others... like the new Limbsaver Dead Zone. I keep coming back to the Hoyt.
Old August 11, 2008, 10:32 AM   #8
davlandrum

Quote:
Is this a good bow that will last a long time
If you listen to the bow companies you MUST replace your bow every year, other wise you will be humiliated and mocked by every deer in the woods

If you are really looking for long term, buy something new from a local pro-shop that can get you set up correctly. One trick I might consider (depends on if this would hurt your friends feelings) is buy the one from him and then take that in and use it for a trade-in on a new one.

If there is no way you are going to be able to scrape together enough for new, check the pro-shop for used. At least they will have inspected it and will help you get set up correctly (if they are any good).

The only garage sale/pawn shop bows I have bought and "trust" are youth bows, as the poundage is low enough not to be a serious safety issue. And even those, I inspect the heck out of...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart