The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 13, 2015, 12:07 AM   #1
Northrider

.17 revolver

I have hit on a new rationale for adding to my safe: since .22lr is still next to non existent here, I am thinking I need to move to a new plinking/small game hunting round: .17 hornet. (hornet so I can reload). Just wondering how owners/shooters feel about their .17's. I know the .17 in revolvers is hmr, but eventually someone will make a pistol in .17 hornet.(I haven't found one yet) Your thoughts?

Shoot Safe and Often
Old August 13, 2015, 10:18 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm, not finding a listing of 17 Hornet in a revolver... does Taurus make one???

I do have a 22 Hornet revolver ( was a Taurus Raging Hornet ) that I pulled the factory 10" full under lug barrel off ( was majorly muzzle heavy ) fitted a 6" Dan Wesson barrel shroud, added a custom 1 in 9" twist 223 barrel... it shoots awesome, & I can shoot from 35 to 68 grain bullets out of the standard 22 Hornet case... I have the reamer, & plan to ream the chambers to 22 K Hornet...

only thing I'd be concerned with is case set back on the 17 with the thin Hornet cases...

I decided to build a 25 ACP revolver as my reloadable 22 equivalent...

Old August 13, 2015, 10:30 AM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

IIRC, there were problems with the .17 wheel guns as the cartridge shape is not revolver friendly.

Here's one report on a simple search

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=733129
Old August 13, 2015, 10:40 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

I think GLEN's posted link addresses most of the issues... however not all bottle necked cases have been found to be a problem... the standard Hornet does work ( although a bit quirky ) even Magnum Research sells a 30-30 BFR revolver...

I think it has been proven that a very steep & short shoulder ( opposite of the standard Hornet case ) will also not set back as readily... I've been wanting to try the K Hornet on my custom gun, but would hate to waste the cylinder if I should run into set back issues ???
Old August 13, 2015, 11:50 AM   #5
Guv

Super Nice little Ruger there! I actually got a couple of 32's, both one H&R 32S&W Long and a NEF (H&R) 32 magnum because of 22 ammo being scarce. A little quality time at the loading bench and not a lot of powder and we're ready to have some fun again.
Old August 13, 2015, 03:38 PM   #6
AKexpat

I have no experience with this type of pistol in a bottle-necked round, but

IIRC, S&W chambered the .22 Jet (a bottle-necked cartridge) in the Model 53 revolver. Accuracy was said to be very good but the cases tended to expand rearward and cause the cylinder to cease to rotate after more than a cylinder full, and it had to have the cylinder cleaned very often.
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old August 14, 2015, 01:59 AM   #7
Northrider

Thanks for all the input, maybe I will just stick with a long gun instead of searching for a revolver.
Old August 14, 2015, 07:53 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

you could also think single shot handgun... I have a factory octogon 10" 17 K Hornet barrel in my Contender stuff... firing used to be a pain forming cases from 22 Hornet... I've been buying Hornady 17 Hornet ammo, as it goes into my chamber & fire forms to the K Hornet nicely...

just saying... if you still wanted to play with a 17 Hornet handgun, I'm sure one of the aftermarket barrel manufacturers could come up with a regulat 17 Hornet barrel for you...
Old August 18, 2015, 08:40 PM   #9
thibaultfelix40

22 replacement

I bought a Savage 26 ? in 32 20 rifle partly for 22 substitution. There are wheel guns available in this caliber and brass,bullets, powder etc available. There's also lots of data. Now you will have to do a little digging for these things but they are there. There are also a pile of 32 SW long revolvers out there. I like these little wheel guns.