The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 30, 2013, 02:07 AM   #1
Bonzeye

How likely is the ban on 10+ round mags to pass?

Are they going to ban high capacity magazines on guns? What are the chances of them doing that?
Old March 30, 2013, 06:05 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Which one? Federal? Or one particular state?
Old March 30, 2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Webleymkv

At the federal level, very low. At the state level, well that depends on which state you're talking about.
Old March 30, 2013, 07:56 AM   #4
bbqbob51

Pretty damn low at the federal level. Otherwise it depends on whether or not you live in a rural or urban "state of mind" state. Gun ownership is higher in rural states so any kind of ban is less likely to pass in such a state.
Old March 30, 2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Torch

I don't mean to sound pedantic but most of the mags which would be banned if they pass a 10 round limit would not be 'high capacity', they would be standard capacity.

The AR was originally designed with a 20 round magazine and the 30 rounder has been standard for decades. The same goes for most other semi-automatic firearms. The original Glock, for example, came standard in 1982 with 17 round magazines.
Old March 30, 2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Mike38

Quote:
Believe it or not members of Congress understand they do have real business that also needs to happen…..
Could have fooled me. What I see likens to Nero playing while Rome is burning.

This latest wave of weapons and magazine ban attempts is a distraction to keep the focus on one thing, and off the important stuff. But hey, it works. Joe Public is falling for it.
Old March 30, 2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Kimio

It wouldn't even be an issue if people actually got up off their duffs and voted and created an even bigger uproar about the infringing of our rights in the first place.

However, I digress, yes, it's pretty low, but that is no reason for us to get complacent. This is just the start, we have at the very least another three years of this crap being flung into our faces.

It's going to be a war of attrition with this administration I feel, we must stay vigilant, especially now. You can bet the gun grabbers are scheming to trying scoot something under the rug in the guise of say a transportation bill or something.
Old March 30, 2013, 09:36 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
What I see likens to Nero playing while Rome is burning.
Actually, Nero sang while Rome burned. The fiddle wasn't invented yet. Believe it or not, neither was the AR-15. The Legions were stuck with inferior weapons, which is probably why the Germans and Persians were such a persistent issue.

Quote:
You can bet the gun grabbers are scheming to trying scoot something under the rug in the guise of say a transportation bill or something.
They can try, but sneaking things like that through is very, very difficult in this day and age.

I don't see the Colorado and/or NY bans passing constitutional muster. Neither do many legislators, which is one of the reasons such language was stripped from this month's federal gun-control bill.

Will there be a vote on the matter? Probably, but I doubt they can raise more than 30 or so votes in the Senate for it. It certainly won't fly in the House.
Old March 30, 2013, 11:38 PM   #9
kilimanjaro

Trouble with the state laws, it takes years to get a case to the Supreme Court, in the meantime, you're in limbo.
Old March 31, 2013, 06:10 AM   #10
rwilson452

The last I heard Reid could only muster 40 votes for the AWB and mag limit. 40 is way short of 60 or even 51.
Old March 31, 2013, 08:19 PM   #11
Rifleman1952

It does not appear likely, that a federal 10 round limit on magazine capacity, will become law. But, in the more liberal states like New York, Massachusetts, Maryland, California, etc, you will see every type of gun restriction imaginable implemented.
Old April 1, 2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Patriot86

That is like asking how likely is it that the world will end next week.
Normally, the answer is very low. But maybe the 4 horsemen are sighted during a final four game and the end is nigh.

But I digress, currently at a federal level it is very low...unless another nut job shoots up a large group of people using a so called "assault weapon". If that happens before the next election then expect a magazine ban, Republicans who are in real competitions will be worried about being painted as "extremists" who "won't protect our children" in the media and enough will defect for it to pass.

If nothing else happens between now and November 2014 we are probably in the clear.

On the local level the chances are much higher. If you live in a state North of the Mason Dixon with a Democratic governor and a Democratic state house or senate you are in dire risk right now. A magazine ban is the low hanging fruit, especially with grandfathering.
As a Governor If you show that (for now) you aren’t coming to take anyone’s guns or magazines the political backlash is not that severe, those people weren’t going to vote for an anti gunner anyways.

Bloomberg again has shown others what NOT to do. The NY Safe act is a good example to all other anti gun politicians that if they bite off more than they can chew they might find themselves without a job come the next election.
Old April 1, 2013, 06:45 PM   #13
stargazer65

http://news.yahoo.com/conn-reaches-d...221504941.html

It seems likely to pass in CT. This bill would Grandfather existing magazines but require them to be registered. How on earth that would be accomplished I don't know. Same with most of the other junk in the bill, unenforceable crap most of it. The rest is feel good do nothing stuff, like a ban on guns with a shoulder thing that goes up.
Old April 2, 2013, 08:03 AM   #14
Patriot86

I have a feeling you will need to turn them into a local police dept. to be "serial numbered". That provision had been in some other crazy bill so I am sure it will make it into this bill.
Old April 3, 2013, 04:24 PM   #15
North East Redneck

At the Federal level it won't happen. Here in Mass, I'd say the odds are quite good a ten round limit will become law. As far as I know, 10+ fixed magazine .22 rifles are exempt from such proposals. Subject to change of course.
Old April 3, 2013, 08:44 PM   #16
sigcurious

At the federal level this is what we're up against. People pushing legislation about things of which they have less than cursory knowledge.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:27 AM   #17
Patriot86

But high capacity assault magazines must only take high capacity assault bullets, so if you ban the high capacity magazines sooner or later people will run out of the high capacity assault bullets that go in them right ?

My brain hurts now...I think we need to pass some laws where a legislator needs to demonstrate at least basic knowledge on a topic such as firearms, the economy, healthcare etc before passing a law about it. It would be like me telling a vet how to heal my cat or telling a chemist how to make better painkillers...that dog don't hunt
Old April 4, 2013, 09:32 AM   #18
Evan Thomas

Quote:
I think we need to pass some laws where a legislator needs to demonstrate at least basic knowledge on a topic such as firearms, the economy, healthcare etc before passing a law about it.
Wouldn't that be nice...

What's actually sort of ironic about this is that when it comes to regulating most things -- health care and the economy are good examples -- people inside the industry (from insurance companies and banks, in those examples) not only influence lawmakers, but in many cases they actually write the legislation. The legislators don't need to know anything, because the industry itself tells them what to think and what to do.
Old April 4, 2013, 09:46 AM   #19
Patriot86

Quote:
What's actually sort of ironic about this is that when it comes to regulating most things -- health care and the economy are good examples -- people inside the industry (from insurance companies and banks, in those examples) not only influence lawmakers, but in many cases they actually write the legislation. The legislators don't need to know anything, because the industry itself tells them what to think and what to do.
We have people in my industry who don't have a freakin clue about the equipment they are selling or how it works, but they have enough people around them who do so they survive. That is a terrible way to go through your professional life though, I couldn't live my life selling stuff I dont understand but thats just me.