The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 27, 2015, 08:47 AM   #1
jd3020

marlin x7vh in 22-250

Hey guys did some thinking last night and decided that i wanted to try and sell my new savage b-mag. I bought it never shot it and decided i really didnt like it as much as i thought i would, so up on the internet it went forsale. After a few inquires about it i had a guy text me that wants to trade me a marlin x7vh heavy barrel in 22-250. Not sure of the round count but it does come with a redfield scope on it. He is also willing to top the deal off and give $150 on top of the gun in trade for my bmag. So my question to you guys is are the x7vh's as bad as the reviews say they are? I hate to trade for a gun that is junk or that i will never be able to sell later on down the road.

"If guns kill people then i can blame mis-spelled words on my pencil"
Old February 27, 2015, 09:00 AM   #2
Doyle

What bad reviews? I have never heard anyone say one thing bad about any of the Marlin X series rifles - other than they aren't the prettiest girls at the dance. Every owner I've ever talked to loved theirs.
Old February 27, 2015, 09:07 AM   #3
jd3020

Thats the reason I have came here. I have never heard of marlin making a bad rifle but when I did the Google search every one was having problems with this series of rifle trying to get them sighted in.

"If guns kill people then i can blame mis-spelled words on my pencil"
Old February 27, 2015, 01:26 PM   #4
baddarryl

I have an x7 in .270 and it has been a fine gun. My only complaint is the magazine is not user friendly to me. There is an easy fix on line, I just have't done it. I don't think you can go wrong.
Old February 27, 2015, 01:36 PM   #5
Doyle

You had me curious so I did some searching and the only negative thing I came up with in sighting it in is that some users have complained that their scopes are running out of elevation because the receiver is milled slightly lower in the rear than in the front. If that is the case, you can easily adapt by shimming either the bases or the rings.
Old February 27, 2015, 05:00 PM   #6
Huffmanite

Have a Marlin X heavy varmit barrel .308. Bought it when it shortly after a LGS that sold Marlin X rifles received it. Bought the heavy varmit barrel .223 version off a fellow range member who decided he wanted a "shorter barreled .223" after owning it a few months. In addition to these two, own a 7mm-08 Marlin XS and did own a 25-06 Marlin X. The 25-06 was my first Marlin X I'd bought when the LGS first began selling the Marlins shortly after they'd been introduced. It shot well for accuracy. Actually all my Marlins have shot well for accuracy out of the box. But, I've never been a big fan of the 25-06 and had it rebarreled to 7x57 mauser about a year ago.

Only problem I encountered with one of my Marlins was with the heavy barrel 308. This particular Marlin was one of the early production rifles done at the Mayfield, Ky factory, where the Remington 770 and now the 783s are also being produced. Problem with my .308 was the lands in last 1 1/2" or so of the bore. After shooting it for the first time, noticed copper fouling running not along the lands near the muzzle, but across the lands. Took rifle to a local gunsmith I knew and had him bore scope it. General appearance of lands toward end of muzzle would possibly make you think someone had run a tap or hardened screw into the bore. I would shorten the barrel about 1 3/4" and recrown it myself. Rifle shot well for accuracy before I shortened it.....still shoots quite well for me.

I'm not a fan of plastic stocks and just shoot paper....so, all my Marlins have a wood stock that I made for them that more suited for shooting from benchrest.

P.S. I've monitored posts about the Marlin X rifles on various gun forums since they were first introduced. Can't say as I ever read any complaint the scope mounts being off causing an elevation problem for long distance shooting and etc. Suggest you check www.marlinforum.com and read thru their Marlin X rifle section.

Last edited by Huffmanite; February 27, 2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old March 2, 2015, 08:47 AM   #7
FiveInADime

The X7s are a good design for a budget rifle. They are now discontinued and you can find them very cheap right now from internet retailers.

I used a stainless X7 for a project rifle in .260Rem.

Edit: I would like to add that my particular example has a good trigger that breaks around 2lbs. Most of them can be set as low as 2.5-2.75lbs.

Last edited by FiveInADime; March 2, 2015 at 09:00 AM.