The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 17, 2014, 02:18 AM   #1
Kosmo K

9mm 17-19rd in a 15rd state

Greetings, first post. I want to purchase a 9mm (listed at GB in another state) that comes with 2 17rd mags. Problem being I live in a state with a 15 rd limit. At my LGS they are selling all the big name pistols in 9mm and Permenantly altering the mags to only allow 15 rds. Is there a legal way for me to obtain this 9mm pistol? Could an FFL Dealer do some compliance work and make it all legal? Thanks
Old December 17, 2014, 07:52 AM   #2
CowTowner

I'll ask before the legal eagles do. What state are you in?
Have you checked with the local FFL to see if he's willing to accept the gun and alter the magazines for you, if legal to do so?
Do you know a lawyer that can provide the legal advice required prior to the purchase?
I have no doubt there are more questions coming.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old December 17, 2014, 08:12 AM   #3
TimSr

Might it be more cost effective to receive the gun with no magazines, and buy them in your state? Maybe the seller will gve you a price break, and make a separate sale for the magazines if he comes out ahead that way.
Old December 17, 2014, 08:29 AM   #4
Kosmo K

Quote:
Might it be more cost effective to receive the gun with no magazines, and buy them in your state? Maybe the seller will gve you a price break, and make a separate sale for the magazines if he comes out ahead that way.
I'm in Colorado. I thought about that option. Problem is there are no 10 or 15 rounders available for this gun. That's why I would prefer to have the mags made Legal if possible. I'm wondering if dealers even want the Headache of shipping a 17rd gun into This State.

Last edited by Spats McGee; December 17, 2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old December 17, 2014, 09:44 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, Kosmo K!

I've edited your post above to make it a little more readable. I hope that's OK.

CowTowner and TimSr hit the nail on the head. Were I in your shoes, I'd be looking to either: (1) buy the gun with no mags and then purchase 10-rounders somewhere else (either in an LGS or online); or (2) talking to my local FFL about how to go about getting the mags converted before having the transfer made to me. And a quick consult with a lawyer knowledgeable about CO law wouldn't hurt.
Old December 17, 2014, 11:48 AM   #6
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmo K
At my LGS they are selling all the big name pistols in 9mm and Permenantly altering the mags to only allow 15 rds... Could an FFL Dealer do some compliance work and make it all legal?
The problem here is that the CO magazine ban (HB 1224 / C.R.S. § 18-12-302) does NOT provide an explicit allowance for a licensed CO dealer to take possession of a so-called Large Capacity Magazine (LCM) for any purpose. Other restrictive states allow dealers to do so, provided they have the right permits and/or file the correct paperwork. Not so in CO.

The CO A.G. has apparently issued a clarification allowing a CO gunsmith to repair a LCM that's already in CO...

http://watchdog.org/94855/colorado-g...rified-lifted/

...however, the report does NOT clearly indicate that this applies to "post-ban" magazines shipped to CO for conversion.

Are you certain that the LGS is in fact converting the magazines in-house and not receiving them from outside CO?

Have you asked the intended receiving FFL whether it is allowable for him/her to receive the magazines in order to do this work?

Last edited by carguychris; December 18, 2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: reword
Old December 17, 2014, 11:52 AM   #7
doofus47

Welcome aboard Kosmo.
If you didn't do what I did: buy larger than 15 cap mags for any pistol/rifle that you might have on a future list by July of 2013, you're kinda stuck.

You can't take delivery of a 15+ magazine. You will have to have the magazines swapped for 15 or less before shipping to you, OR you will have to have them altered before they are shipped to you. I am not sure if your dealer can receive them and modify them, but I would bet that they can't (and they probably don't want to touch that issue with a ten foot pole for the sake of one sale anyhow).

Since the deadline, I bought a vz2008 and had to have them ship w/out mags. I also bought a SR9c and had to have them ship with 10 round mags instead of the 10/17 combo that the pistol usually accompany a new sr9c pistol.

It's crappy, but I'm sure you feel safer now.
Old December 18, 2014, 01:54 AM   #8
Kosmo K

Thanks for the feedback. I'll talk to my LGS tomorrow and report back
Old December 18, 2014, 12:46 PM   #9
carguychris

Footnote to my prior post...

Please note that it IS possible that the A.G. has granted some sort of exception to allow CO FFL's to take possession of LCM's for the purpose of conversion to a lawfully transferable <16rd configuration.

I just haven't seen proof of this.

FWIW I have yet to track down the actual text of the supposed clarification regarding pre-ban LCM repair; a search of the A.G. and CO State Patrol websites revealed nothing of value.

Last edited by carguychris; December 18, 2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old December 18, 2014, 01:18 PM   #10
HiBC

kosmo,I can throw you one more thing to consider.
I'm in Co,and considering buying a S+W M+P 9c.As a compact,it will hold 12+1.No problem.
However,one of the attractive things about this handgun,the full size M+P mags hold 17.They work,and a grip sleeve is available.But,not in Co.

I think I'm still going to go 9mm and settle for 12+1,forget the 17 rd mags.

An option available to consider is going 40 S+W.The compact mag holds 10,the full size M+P holds 15.Good to go.

I'm just not enthused about setting up reloading for another cartridge.

But 40 instead of 9 mm may solve the mag cap problem for you.
Old December 20, 2014, 06:07 AM   #11
Kosmo K

I didn't get a chance to hit my LGS. The bigger calibers will be more popular until things change