The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 3, 2011, 12:28 PM   #1
davis21b

? About dies

I have a lee single stage press dof I need to the 2 piece die set or should I get the 3 piece die set 223 caliber?
Old August 3, 2011, 12:32 PM   #2
243winxb

A 2 die set will load ammo just fine. If you feel you need to crimp the rounds, the 3th die, if a Lee factory crimp die is useful. I do not crimp 223 ammo.
Old August 3, 2011, 12:34 PM   #3
JACK308

You are going to need a decapping die to take the old primer out then you will need a powder die and last a seating die so that makes 3 you dont nne a crimper for 223 I dont use one.But I have the dillon 550b
Old August 3, 2011, 01:09 PM   #4
okiefarmer

What does a powder die look like for LEE single stage press? I am missing that one in my set for some reason.
Old August 3, 2011, 02:07 PM   #5
JACK308

well if you had the dillon you would know what IT IS it a smoth die that the powder messure goes on top! OKIE
Old August 3, 2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Miata Mike

I think most users with a single stage press will use a funnel in a loading block.

I myself bought the Lee 3 die set and a pass through powder die for my 4 hole turret. I'm not sure I need to crimp the 55 grain fmj bullets as they feel good seating, but figured a little collet crimp wouldn't hurt in my AR. I would not use the crimp die if I had a bolt action.
Old August 4, 2011, 12:54 PM   #7
okiefarmer

Well Jack, he did state he has a LEE SINGLE STAGE PRESS and AFAIK, LEE does not make a powder die for a single stage press hence mentioning a die he "can't" locate for his press would not make sense. I have a powder die too, in my progressive press, but not in my SS press.

just sayin'
Old August 4, 2011, 01:42 PM   #8
PawPaw

My Lee 3-die rifle sets come with a full-length die, a collet neck-size die and a seating die. It also comes with a shellholder.

The two-die rifle sets come with a full length die and a seating die.

Occasionally I'll order a Factory Crimp die for rifle calibers that I want to shoot with cast bullets.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 4, 2011, 02:23 PM   #9
jonboyc

What exactly do you mean Lee doesn't make a powder die for their single stage presses? The same dies are used for all their presses and there is a flaring/powder through die. In fact I think there's a way to attach the lee powder measure to the powder through die if you wanted to go that route.
Old August 4, 2011, 02:55 PM   #10
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboyc
What exactly do you mean Lee doesn't make a powder die for their single stage presses? The same dies are used for all their presses and there is a flaring/powder through die. In fact I think there's a way to attach the lee powder measure to the powder through die if you wanted to go that route.
The OP asked about RIFLE reloading, specifically for the .223 caliber and said that he's using a Lee single stage press.

It's true that all Lee's pistol sets come with a powder-thru die, but I don't know of anyone who uses them for rifle calibers. If you want a powder-thru die on your Lee progressive press for RIFLE calibers, you're going to have to order their Universal Charge Die, which is not listed as a reloading die, but as powder handling equipment.

When I'm loading cast bullets in RIFLE calibers, I have to make the extra step of flaring the case mouth. That's a well established procedure in cast-bullet shooting. For jacketed bullets it's an extra step that is simply not necessary.

For a single stage press that seems like a lot of extra work.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 4, 2011, 03:38 PM   #11
okiefarmer

OK, I err.

Due to the fact that the 7/8 X 14 thread will fit into a single stage press allows that fact to be true. If you want to stick that die in a single stage press and powder your cases that way, I won't keep ya from it. I find the operation goes faster using shell blocks for rifle or pistol when using a single stage press.

To each his own.

It fits due to standardization, but not designed necessarily to be used in a sigle stage operation.
Old August 4, 2011, 05:39 PM   #12
praetorian97

If you are using an AR variant 223 I would recommend getting the 3 piece with the crimp. A light crimp will help out when the round is being "slammed" into the bore.
Old August 4, 2011, 07:33 PM   #13
davis21b

Thanks for the info. Yes it is an ar15. I was thinking I would go ahead snd get the 3 dies. As for the powder I'm just gonna do the blocks. Any advice yall have though will be appreciated as I am new to reloading.
Old August 4, 2011, 08:39 PM   #14
jepp2

Quote:
My Lee 3-die rifle sets come with a full-length die, a collet neck-size die and a seating die.
That is exactly what the 3 die Lee sets for 223 at Midway have. Chances are you will never use the collet neck-size die when loading for an AR. But buy what you like. But the collet neck-size die isn't going to provide any crimp after you seat the bullet as was suggested.
Old August 4, 2011, 08:57 PM   #15
Jim243

Quote:
My Lee 3-die rifle sets come with a full-length die, a collet neck-size die and a seating die.
There are three sets of dies for the 223, 2 die set the "RGB", 3 die set "Pacesetter" and 3 die set the "Deluxe Rifle Set".

The RGB set includes the decaping/sizing die and the seating die.

The Pacesetter comes with the decaping/sizing die, seating die and the factory crimp die.

The Deluxe Rifle set comes with the decaping/sizer die, seating die and the collet neck sizer only die.

The rifle powder through die is purchased seperately. None of the rifle dies flare the case mouths. If you want to flare a case mouth you need to purchase the Universal Case Expanding Die.

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Univer...nding-Die.html

Jim
Old August 4, 2011, 09:10 PM   #16
jepp2

Jim243,

that was a thorough response that covered it all! I learned more from it, thanks.