The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 20, 2006, 02:45 PM   #1
Mike Irwin
Staff

Am I going insane or...

am I just nuts?

At the bottom of every forum thread summary page, didn't there used to be a drop-down navigation list for other forums on the site?

I could swear that it was there before I went to lunch, and now it's gone...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 20, 2006, 02:46 PM   #2
Wildalaska

The eyes are the first to go, then the body starts turing numb, speech fails......

WildihavenoideawhatheslookingforbutsoundsgoodAlaska
Old January 20, 2006, 02:53 PM   #3
Handy

No, the feature used to be there.

Strange. It was useful.
Old January 20, 2006, 02:58 PM   #4
tyme
Staff

The forum is too bloody slow. I'm trying to speed it up. That particular feature will probably be turned back on soon.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 20, 2006, 03:37 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Slow?

Odd, I've not noticed any speed lags in forum performance the past couple of weeks that haven't also been mirrored across all internet sites.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 20, 2006, 03:53 PM   #6
tyme
Staff

Really? I've noticed intermittent lag, and there have been a fair number of dup postings in the last week.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 20, 2006, 04:34 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Justin, I've noticed the same thing Mike has. When TFL was slow or completely unresponsive, I would tab over to THR and find the same symptom. It's happened more than once, so I was thinking it has to be a net latency or virus problem and not a TFL problem. Of course, there might be two problems going on at the same time, a local one and an internet one.
Old January 20, 2006, 08:01 PM   #8
pax

Speaking of lag, I keep bumping my nose against the "don't search so soon" feature. It's truly driving me crazy. I'm on dialup, so I habitually open at least two windows so one will have time to load while I read the other. I'll hit a search string in one, leave it to load, and go read the other. When I'm done skimming that one, I'll hit a search string (usually "new posts"), then go back to the first window -- as often as not to find that I was supposed to have waited another 4 seconds before hitting "send" on that one, and now I'm going to be sitting here staring at the obnoxiously slow-loading window while it grinds through the process of reluctantly putting up one itsy bitsy piece of data at a time. Then I go back to the other window and find that that search string got denied too. It's enough to make a girl take up knitting.

pax
Old January 21, 2006, 12:07 AM   #9
Rich Lucibella
Staff

My money's on tyme.
Do not second guess him....I've missed every time I tried.
Rich
Old January 21, 2006, 12:50 AM   #10
hkOrion

pax-

use Firefox. The open in new tab option is awesome. Do a search, then open tabs and they load while you're still viewing the original page. You can change tabs - VOILA! - loaded info.
You got a badge for that gun?
Old January 21, 2006, 11:48 AM   #11
Mal H
Staff

hkOrion, I agree that Firefox is a vast improvement over IE, but that wouldn't solve pax's particular problem. The 60 second wait between searches would yield the same result whether she is using discreet windows or tabs. She would click on the background tab to bring it forward and see the exact same message.
Old January 22, 2006, 01:21 AM   #12
sm

tyme,
I would appreciate if you would sharing what you do discover as I am taking CIS/IT studies. I'm, lurking, listening and learning.

FWIW - I cannot get into THR or APS. For a few days I have noticed this "lag" as you mention. It occurs if I access with 11Mbps , using Firefox, IE or Opera. Does the same thing if using dial-up as I am now @ 52.0 Kbps using Firefox.

Not just VB or other forums, for instance my online texts at Cisco, College WebCT and Moodle, or doing searches using my preferred Teoma, even just perusing Wikipedia...

"Gremlins" - what I call 'em. Oh well I at least have my hardcopy texts and did make 3 batches of brownies...

Steve
Old January 22, 2006, 12:48 PM   #13
Gewehr98

Similar findings here.

Firefox tells me that the URLs are taking too long to respond, and both APS and THR aren't accessible. TFL was a bit laggy until earlier last night.

For what it's worth, I'm thinking the web is under a barrage of DDS attacks again, in the last 24 hours I've received a ton of virus-infected emails supposedly from "[email protected]", and I never visit there nor have they been on my Outlook contact list. Maybe a worm or Trojan attack is blooming this weekend?

Neural Misfires
Old January 22, 2006, 02:09 PM   #14
tyme
Staff

Viruses and spam shouldn't affect TFL's performance at all.

The problem with TFL and large vbulletin boards in general is that myisam tables in mysql are terrible. Another view is that vbulletin is improperly designed, since jelsoft should know that virtually everyone uses myisam tables. I'm seriously considering converting the post table to innodb, even though that will make it impossible to use mysql's full-text searching.

Searches for common words are unavoidably slow, which causes a situation described in the second set of bullet points here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...e-locking.html