The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 14, 1999, 06:22 PM   #1
Kodiac

Just recieved a SOCOM knife from a friend - Well - its not a REAL Micro tech knife - but a Knock Off... I have never ever even considered carrying a knock off knife... But this one is pretty dang good. The Blade is made of AUS-8 and has been tempered right... has a bead blasted finish and is razor sharp.
The only thing I dont like about it is the aluminium handle, (I like synthetic) and the Liner lock that my Bear Paw thumb cant seem to close too well.
Other than that - makes one heck of a good carry knife!

Those knock off guys are getting better...

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old May 18, 1999, 02:55 PM   #2
Kodiac

Turns out - I hate it.

It is adecent knife - but I cant stand it...

It is now on my dresser awaiting it's fate.

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old May 18, 1999, 03:23 PM   #3
Morgan

Kodiac, can you be specific about why you hate it?
Old May 20, 1999, 05:33 PM   #4
FTL

How does it compare, price wise, to the real deal?
Old May 21, 1999, 01:30 PM   #5
Kodiac

The real deal costs about 150 us dollars... making it quite spendy. The knock off cost my buddy only 25 I took it from him for 25. The blade while outstanding and worth 25 alone. But that cheap ass handle got on my nerves. A kydex handle like on the Cold Steel knives would have made a world of difference. I cant really put my finger on it - but the knife, as a whole was UNSAT as the Army would say...
I hated it. I traded it for a bunch of Star Wars tickets. It was a good trade.

For a 25 dollar knife - I am sure it was just fine. But I like 75 to 140 dollar knives... namely Spydercos and Benchmades...

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old May 21, 1999, 08:33 PM   #6
FTL

What about Emerson's? They are some fine looking knives but quite pricey.
Also different topic: I almost bought a Smith & Wesson auto about a month ago but the thing wasn't hardly any faster than my thumb on my Benchmade. So for $100, I passed.
Old May 22, 1999, 08:07 AM   #7
Kodiac

I passed on the smith knive for 2 reasons...
1. It said Smith & Wesson on it.
2. They have FAT handles.

For a carry knife - pocket carry that is - the handle should be thin in its profile. Thick is great for a fixed or sheath knife. The king of thin is Spyderco's alloy scaled knives - those are down right skinny.

The AFCK is a little thicker - but the AFCK is the thickest I would pack.

The AFCK gives me a couple things I like, G-10 scales, a sexy blade, and Spyderco's round hole. I could go for Spyderco Military, but I dont see it as being any better than the AFCK, so I will stay where I am in that mark - had I not owned an AFCK - at this point I may have chosen the Military, as I do prefer Spyderco over Benchmade.

Emersons are cool knives - the Ravens are not worth the asking price - I would rate them about the same as a Cold Steel Voyager Tanto... But his higher dollar knives are better. The CQC-7 is very good. I had one for a time - but decided I prefered the hole as an opening device.

I even had a Commander (I often take knives and such as payment for training - if I already had a class going - used to that is, I dont train folks anymore, unless its one on one). But I knew I was going to sell it - so I didn't even open the box. This was when I sold off almost my entire collection of guns and knives to finance my moving from Virginia.

Take about painful! I would rather get a few teeth pulled then do that again! OUCH!

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE