The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 21, 2001, 11:15 AM   #1
Coop de Ville

Been off and on for 10 months now with rotator cuff problems. Just started PT at the sports med facility at work. Some basic rehab, ibuprofen, and ice... hope this works.

A few months back I bought an 870 Police Mag. from a friend. I put some through it 2 weeks back but it really aggravated my shoulder.

Every night I hold it and dry fire and am so damned pissed I can't use it right now. I would love spend the day at the range with it.

The friend also teaches tactical combat shotgun and I've been dying to take his class. I can't take 10 rounds before my shoulder screams, let alone the hundreds of rounds that class would require. Oh well.

Sorry for the rant. Regards, -Coop
Old April 21, 2001, 11:34 AM   #2
44rugerfan

A friend of mine just had rotator cuff surgery. He was lucky and got a good surgeon, should be back to 100% in 6 weeks. Co-worker had same surgery in December, had to go back under the knife a month and a half later ('course she wasn't doing her therapy either) and still isn't 50%. I feel for you having a new toy and not being able to play with it .
Old April 21, 2001, 11:37 AM   #3
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Consider a PAST or some other brand wearable recoil pad. It would cut down felt recoil a great deal.
Old April 21, 2001, 11:48 AM   #4
Coop de Ville

Thanks for the words, I appreciate it.

I took a look at the website. The PAST pads look like they might help a bit. I will check out some vendors for availability.

thanks, -Coop

I found the Magnum-Plus recoil shield at cheaperthandirt, anyone want give a testimonial
Old April 21, 2001, 11:53 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You got my sympathy, Coop. Got a touch of that myself, but only enough to stop me from using heavy hunting bows.

I really like my PAST pad. It may help you, tho I think it's better for bench work. Shooting with a premounted gun and the PAST may work for you until you heal.

Also, why not try shooting from the other side? Use light loads starting out.You may have to close your master eye, but some shooting beats no shooting..
Old April 21, 2001, 01:25 PM   #6
ronin308

My neighbor had similar surgery too...he was an extremely avid bowhunter and before I knew it he was back to pulling his 95# (wow!) draw bow! lol So don't get too down
Old April 21, 2001, 06:11 PM   #7
KA3N

I had surgery for a torn rotator cuff (and torn cartilage) on my right shoulder a year ago, and still occasionally feel the same pain I felt just after surgery. I blame a lot of this on not diligently doing the physical therapy that was required.

I bought a Winchester 1300 Stainless Marine and fired it for the first time last night. (I haven’t fired a shotgun in 25 years). I was really afraid that it would hurt my shoulder, but it didn’t (until today).

The recoil was not bad at all, but then again, I was firing Federal Personal Defense reduced recoil #2 buckshot. (I have 20 boxes of Estate Tactical on the way from Natchez…) Once I realized that the recoil was acceptable, I started doing rapid fire exercises. I’m totally impressed with my new gun – it’s very light (6 3/8 lbs) and extremely well balanced. It was more fun to shoot than I had hoped for.

Today, I’m paying the price – my shoulder is killing me!

[Edited by KA3N on 04-22-2001 at 02:18 PM]
Old April 21, 2001, 10:38 PM   #8
Bam Bam

There is a fellow at the local sportsmans club who cannot lift one arm. He has had to learn to shoot one-armed. Last weekend (4/14/01) he used a 28 ga. O/U to break 25 straight in skeet. If worse comes to worst don't think you have quit shooting. It might be tough to adapt buy it can be done.
Old April 21, 2001, 11:22 PM   #9
Elmo

Can you use this as an opportunity to practice shooting from your other shoulder? Since it's an 870 Police, I assume defense is somewhere in it's list of responsibilities. Weak-side shooting is a great skill to have in this case.

I know I wouldn't be able to just let a new shotgun sit either. I'd fire the darn thing off my foreheard if I had to.
Old April 22, 2001, 06:18 AM   #10
Coop de Ville

Thanks all, for the support, I appreciate it!

Congrats, KA3N, good luck with it!

I should learn lefty style, but I will start when no one's around. In the dictionary next to pathetic is a picture of me shooting weak hand.

It has the short Speedfeed stock w/ pistolgrip, so this helps. The butt is very soft, however, it has a very small surface area, so I like the idea of a PAST shoulder pad.

I am also looking to buy my first rifle (.308) within the next few months, so I think the pad is a good long term strategy anyway.

Being an athlete for so many years, I took for granted a working, functioning body. The pain would come and go. Now it just comes

Thanks for the help, regards, -Coop
Old April 22, 2001, 01:03 PM   #11
David Scott

Coop,

Please please please stick to your physical therapy regimen, no matter how tempting it is to cut things short and go shooting. After getting knocked off a motorcycle in 1981, a doctor had to reassemble my left wrist like a jigsaw puzzle. He and the nice PT lady both emphasized that a re-injury might mean never getting back to 100%. Most re-injuries are the result of impatient patients doing too much too soon. Please don't mess yourself up permanently.
Old April 22, 2001, 01:12 PM   #12
Coop de Ville

Thanks for the words

Today is my second day of PT. I'm using these real cheesy rubberbands and a 2.5 lb. weight to do the required exercises. Plus some stretching stuff. I was a semi-pro powerlifter during college, so this is a bit of a blow to my ego. Truth is, I've let myself get out of shape since then, so maybe this is what I need to get myself back to where I should be...

Best, -Coop