The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 8, 2012, 09:27 AM   #51
rickyrick

That euro4 pig looks very athletic, very impressive definitely no fat American feral pig.
Old March 8, 2012, 01:37 PM   #52
Keg

Wild Boar Facts: Wild Boar Skin and Coat
59. The skin of wild boar is very thick, with pads of subcutaneuos adipose tissue but very little blood supply. It is in effect an armour virtually rendering the boar immune to insect or viper bites (unless attacked in more vulnerable points), or punctures from spiney plants within the woods in which it lives.

60. The boar is nearly completely covered (with the exception of parts of the head and the lower parts of the legs) with rigid bristles.

61. These bristles, mixed with a finer and softer fur undercoat, enable the animal to thermally isolate its body from external temperatures.

62. On the forehead and shoulders the boars mantle forms a type of mane, more evident on some sub-species than others.

63. When the animal is irritated or frightened the mane becomes straightened, rendering the appearance of the boar larger and more solid than reality.

64. The boars winter coat is thick ("folto") and dark in colour.

65. During the spring months the majority of the undercoat and bristles are shed and the boar takes on a lighter colour.

66. The general colour of a boars coat varies according to population and region. The colour ranges from tawny-brown to grey-black.

67. Whitish, although not albino, boar have been known to occur in central Asia. In western Russia ther are many red boar, and in Manchuria there are many examples of nearly black boar.

68. Very rarely (about three boar in every 100 years) adult boars with large and dark mantles are recorded. Such boar are mutations from the more recent crossing of boar with domestic pigs.

Just something I found on boar in Europe/Asia.....
Old March 8, 2012, 01:46 PM   #53
Keg

Pure European Hogs

As of 2008, RBL entered the pure European hog business. This new line of animals comes from Brutal Boar Creactions owned by Cody Weiser of Hallettsville, Texas. His stock is believed to be the best bloodline in the U.S.

We will have young stocker pigs for sale, as well as trophy boars when available. This bloodline is known for large tusks and the ability to acheive tremendous size. These monsters will make great wall mounts to add to your collection. They will test the skills of even the best boar hunters.

Every ranch has wild hogs, but not many have the pure European giants that we can provide. Let your ranch be one of the first to offer world class boars to its hunters.

This boar is of European ancestry....(notice..no mane)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg appalachian20.jpg (56.1 KB, 25 views)
Old March 8, 2012, 02:16 PM   #54
rickyrick

This is gonna take some research as it seems little true facts exist on the internet. Many accounts maybe true but its pretty watered down for hunting interests.

The pig in hogdogs pic that I referenced is the closest thing to the pigs I seen wild in German forests. Weather or not Russian pigs look the same I have no clue, never seen any in their homeland.
Old March 8, 2012, 02:23 PM   #55
Keg

Rick..It's really not hard to find pics from Europe and Asia......They don't all look alike....Some have manes..some don't....different colors and coats....different coats.....I even found that there are different sub-species....I used to just kill pigs..(I have been more into deer management)..but look at whitetail in Florida..Texas..Canada....They look a little different.....

Used to..a pig was a pig....I wish I had taken pics and kept them yrs ago....
Do striped baby pigs mean anything?
Old March 8, 2012, 02:32 PM   #56
rickyrick

What did the pigs look like before man started poking around with them. Most dogs were similar till we started selective breeding.

As with what your exerpt says "believed" to be purest bloodline.

Last edited by rickyrick; March 8, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old March 8, 2012, 02:41 PM   #57
rickyrick

You can also deduce that the only true Russian, or close to true Russian, can be maintained im north America on closely managed game farms.
Old March 8, 2012, 02:49 PM   #58
BigMikey76

Quote:
We will have young stocker pigs for sale, as well as trophy boars when available.
I don't get it... why would selling hogs to stock your property for hunting make any sense in a state that is, by all accounts I have seen, over run with swine already
Old March 8, 2012, 02:58 PM   #59
rickyrick

Because big city lawyers will lay down fat cash to kill the legendary wild boar.

I hate when I see those ads.

New "high fence" places pop up every week it seems.
Old March 8, 2012, 04:10 PM   #60
BigMikey76

Quote:
Because big city lawyers will lay down fat cash to kill the legendary wild boar.
Seems to me there ought to be a law against bringing in more of an animal that is already a nuiscance... wouldn't it probably be cheaper for them to round up some of the local feral beasties and let the tourists shoot them? I doubt the "big city lawyers" would even know the difference...
Old March 8, 2012, 04:17 PM   #61
Keg

Mickey..like Rick indicated....They will probably go to some high fence place....They won't just be turned loose.....
Old March 8, 2012, 04:18 PM   #62
rickyrick

I've seen ads for hunting ranches wanting to buy feral hogs
Old March 8, 2012, 04:22 PM   #63
Keg

Rick..I want to be educated on these hogs....We're not gonna get rid of em....I hope U don't get mad if I question U..or hogdogs..and even DNS...lol
Old March 8, 2012, 04:22 PM   #64
rickyrick

I'll look it up but I don't think that they can be released unless its a hunting preserve
Old March 8, 2012, 04:24 PM   #65
Keg

I know 2 places in this county that do.....I think about 300-600 acres....
Old March 8, 2012, 04:26 PM   #66
BigMikey76

I normally stay out of these threads, since I don't have to deal with the hog problems directly up here in Nebraska. I may be moving to Texas for work, though, so my interest is increased...
Old March 8, 2012, 04:29 PM   #67
Keg

Let me know where and I might find info on hunting for ya....
Old March 8, 2012, 04:29 PM   #68
rickyrick

Here's an article, I'll find more.

http://agrilife.org/today/2011/03/17...ng-feral-hogs/

Bigmikey, this is one of the better pig threads LOL
Old March 8, 2012, 08:08 PM   #69
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have no idea where the red with horizontal tiger stripes comes from...

Seems it is, for the most part, very prevalent in all the feral populations where I hunted or follow the pursuits of others in many locations. I see mainly red with stripes or black piglets... Sometimes with the hampshire type belts. I've never seen a single pie bald (polky dotts) piglet... I have seen many captured red stripes raised and never noticed their transformation. I have never raised a "weiner" feral myself.

Brent
Old March 8, 2012, 09:08 PM   #70
Keg

Most of our piglets look like this....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Two-wild-boar-sows-with-a-litter-of-piglets.jpg (105.5 KB, 21 views)
Old March 8, 2012, 09:44 PM   #71
Keg

hogdogs..A polky dot piglet....Pigman posted this on FB....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 429485_3536523332863_1265749437_33578101_2106603007_n.jpg (84.1 KB, 24 views)
Old March 8, 2012, 09:57 PM   #72
rickyrick

I run accross a few striped piglets, but mostly red and black. I have no idea where polky dotted pigs come from cause they are always adult. I have some pictures of polky dotted ones too if I get near the computer long enough to upload.

I've caught several sows that have piglets in tow from two age groups, with the older ones being a little less than half grown. Not sure if they are an earlier litter or just some pigs hanging out with the sow and followed into the trap.

Last edited by rickyrick; March 9, 2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old March 9, 2012, 06:03 AM   #73
rickyrick

Oops, I guess you posted that while I was typing the other.

Polky dots are easy to spot, no pun, LOL, in the night. Easy to identify. My favorite ones to find actually. Last year I had the biggest pig I ever saw wild ....I couldn't get it. Polky dot of course. I named it Osama pigladen. Never got her.
Old March 9, 2012, 08:34 AM   #74
BigMikey76

Thanks, Keg. It would be in Ft. Worth, if it pans out. Not sure where the critters hang out in Texas yet... but I'm starting to do some research.

Last edited by BigMikey76; March 9, 2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:57 AM   #75
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

keg, Those red stripes are very typical of feral offspring... I know our barn operation which was in the business of making "feeder pigs" (sold at -30#), we never had a striped red piggy... We had pink yorkshire and belted hamps with a few black pigs and a couple with heavy duroc influence red sows... Our boar was nothin special... Maxed out at about, iirc, 240#... We tried, at minimum, to have a p-up and single axle trailer load per month to auction.

This was in the thumb of Mi. in about 1982... We bought 3 smaller gilts/sows in auction to fill the spot opened by the death of a 350# super brood sow... She got sick and the herd owner couldn't have so much of his "eggs" in one basket.

These 3 sows were all spotted up which was not uncommon in the domestic swine scene... Specially for non-discerning small time feeder pig operations such as ours...

Now here is where this went south...
Auctioneer says "Here we have a lot of 3 fine *Texas* young gals..." Well we got them bought right... They were "spirited" from the moment we went to load them in our now empty trailer...

We got all 3 bred at first heat and 2 of 3 ate the entire litter within an hour or 2 of birth... BAD SIGN RIGHT THERE!!! The 3rd chomped a couple but did not eat 'em... So we grabbed the rest and put them on a pink sow who lost several to freeze.

We decided the whole batch were "sour sows" and just bad motherly brood sows so we got ready to auction them off but fairly as "butcher" pigs so as not to spread the losses to our fellow farmers...

Since we lost 25 pigs to their poor mothering, we loaded the truck with pigs and put these 3 very ornery sows in the trailer...

We arrived at the auction to find the top "half door" of the trailer ajar... NO SOWS!!!

Well we put our "lot" of piggys in a pen and balled the jack back tracking...

We found our 3 sows about 5 miles from our barn... Seems one managed to jump up and bust the top door open and all 3 were out in a hundred feet stretch in front of a fellow farmer's house... He said 2 were dead instantly and one needed shot and he slid them off on the shoulder knowing we would be lookin'...

To this day I am more than 50% sure we bought feral trapped swine that was unscrupulously entered into the ag scene in Mi. cuz we wouldn't suspect it up there...

This was just a couple years before the pork market collapse that, IMHO, caused the latest rash of domestic swine entering the feral world...

The last auction I attended saw pork pigs bringing only$.08#.... YES... after investing 90 days of husbandry and feed into a pig it brought EIGHT CENTS PER POUND!!! Many farmers cut their losses and cut the herds loose... as well as not torturing them with dwindling feed rations, I might add...

Brent