The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2010, 08:21 PM   #1
J.Solo

CCI - OEM Primer Questions???

I'm starting to see CCI - OEM Primers for sale at gun shows.

Box's are marked "NOT FOR RETAIL SALE".

Please comment as to experiences you have had with these primers.

Thanks - J.Solo
Old March 14, 2010, 09:58 PM   #2
Jim243

This looks like a case of BUYER BEWARE oem stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. I would say these may have been stollen from CCI or sold to remanufactures of ammo. You can not sell primers or ammo for that mater without a Federal Firearms Lic. (FFL).

Are they in normal CCI boxes or what??

Jim
Old March 14, 2010, 11:18 PM   #3
That'll Do

The boxes of CCI primers that are marked "not for retail sale" are primers that were sold by CCI to an ammunition manufacturer.

If I recall correctly, you can only buy primers marked as such if you have the proper FFL license, and sign an agreement with the respective primer company that you will not re-sell the primers.

Perhaps FreakShow10mm could clarify if he sees this thread.
Old March 15, 2010, 12:08 AM   #4
riverwalker76

It sounds shady to me. Maybe the dealers are reserving the 'OEM' primers for non-store front sales.
Old March 15, 2010, 10:02 AM   #5
brickeyee

Quote:
You can not sell primers or ammo for that mater without a Federal Firearms Lic. (FFL).
Not true.

You can sell either without an FFL.

Manufacturing ammunition for sale requires an FFL, or making the individual components.
Old March 15, 2010, 10:34 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I believe that the major reason that those boxes are "not for retail sale" is because they lack the usual safety warning that are normally on every box sold to the consumer.

Whether or not that warning is required by law on any primers for retail sale, I do not know.

Typically, just because an item is OEM and "Not for Retail Sale" means nothing to the consumer. Think Microsoft Windows, or PC components in general. "OEM" and "Not for Retail Sale" items are common place. There are trade-offs for buying these items, like lack of support or the ability to use software after computer changes are made, but there are no legal issues.

Certainly, there could be different laws involved with ammunition components so it may not be "apples to apples" so to speak.