The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 13, 2007, 01:58 AM   #51
bcarver

Yes

I think if the shot was good I would take it. I assume that I would be hunting a bigfoot and not just happen to see one and shoot it.
Hunting anything challenging is sport. I feel that "sport hunting" is an acceptable use of wildlife resources.
For example: Calling a turkey to within shotgun range can be challenging.
Shooting a turkey that wanders into a field during deer season is not "sporting".
Stalking and shooting a feral bull in thick cover is sporting.
Shooting an angus bull in the pasture is not.
Not a bunch of rules to this thing.
A true sportsman will know before he pulls the trigger if it is "hunting" or shooting.
Old June 13, 2007, 02:11 AM   #52
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Hunting anything challenging is sport
I couldn't disagree more. I am afraid I just do not see anything "sporting" in hunting. Hunting is a means of providing food. Anything beyond that is just machismo.

Now if some comes and tells me the story of how they stalked and killed an elk with nothing but their bare hands and the natural items around them or dropped naked from a tree onto the back of a feral pig and chew it's juglar vein with their teeth I will think that was quite a feat. When they sit in a tree stand and take out an animal from a safe distance with a sophisticated weapon I am not at all impressed.
Old June 13, 2007, 07:21 AM   #53
pesta2

Personal I am going to try to bag the Mothman. Try to take this bad boy down as it is flying 100 mph.
Old June 13, 2007, 07:57 AM   #54
roy reali

Nba

If they do exist, and are eight feet tall, I would toss them a basketball. Who knows?
Old June 13, 2007, 08:01 AM   #55
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
The latest genetic studies show that the human race was down to about 5 breeding females at one point. If we could make it through that sort of near-extinction, just about anything could.
Uh, not exactly. That research shows that they can discern 5 genetic females and that scientists believe there were that few. However, when it comes to evolution, just where those 5 supposedly were is dubious. At what point is the human species a species?
Old June 13, 2007, 08:35 AM   #56
Hallucinator

No, but I'd try to get him to trim his toenails.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.
Old June 13, 2007, 09:30 AM   #57
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Personal I am going to try to bag the Mothman
That has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

You can't kill the Mothman. Noone can...he is unkillable.

Your best bet is to just think good pro-Mothman thoughts and hope he leaves you alone.

I should know. If anyone has seen the specials about him on the sci-fi channel they will have seen pics of the old abandoned TNT factory and mounds which were supposed to be his lair. I used to have to walk past them and then down miles of old dirt fireroads through the TNT area to get back home as a teen. Often in conditions so dark I had to follow the tire rutts in the dirt by feel to stay on the road.

I left him alone and managed to live out all my childhood years in his backyard without getting eaten. All though he did occassionally kill one of our neighbors cattle and chased another neighbor all the way home from the mason fairgrounds then sat on top of her barn for hours after pulling her phone lines while she and her daughter coward in their home.
Old June 13, 2007, 10:45 AM   #58
ohioleadslinger

I would hurl insults at him ala Monty Python style to keep it confused and disorented and stop it from attacking.
Life Member NRA , OFCC Member
Old June 13, 2007, 10:49 AM   #59
ohioleadslinger

You have got to have WV relatives to really know the mothman threats that are used to scare children into submission!

We were always threatened with being left out for the Mothman if we didn't behave.
Life Member NRA , OFCC Member
Old June 13, 2007, 01:42 PM   #60
ClassicSWC

Sure I'd shoot. Why? Like Burt Reynolds once said "for the money, for the glory and for the fun. Mostly for the money."

Seriously, if you bagged one it would solve a great enduring mystery. The scientists who would end up studying it may come up with some great medical breakthrough for humans. Who'd have though that a couple plants in the Amazon would be so beneficial to us, right?

As for why no one has ever found bones, that's simple. In Pa. we have bears, bobcats and coyotes. In 25 years of hunting I've never seen bones from any of these creatures. I guess they don't exist. Occasionally you'll come across bones from deer. Occasionally. There are over a million deer in Pa., figures you'd come across something. Nobody ever claimed there were a million bigfoots.

The biggest problem you would have, at least here in Pa. with our dipschtick game commission, would be defending yourself against some game code violation that they'd dream up. Could you see some bunny cop trying to take a bigfoot away from some lucky guy? That would be one very short conversation.
Old June 13, 2007, 01:46 PM   #61
Dirty_Harry

Absolutely

If I could figure out whether it was really bigfoot, or just a human, I dare say he would have some .450 marlin coming his way.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old June 13, 2007, 02:19 PM   #62
Musketeer

If I can find it with a gun I can find it with a camera(phone).

I wouldn't shoot it unless threatenned.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old June 13, 2007, 04:20 PM   #63
FirstFreedom

I respect that point of view of P.P about hunting. It's not a "sport", depending upon how one defines sport. But to most people's definition of sport, hunting is not a sport, because it's not an even playing field.

Nevertheless, sport or not, it is a "pastime" - whether it's an enjoyable/worthy/ethical pastime is debatable, and depends on the person's individual values. For me, it IS an ethical and enjoyable pastime (both) - ethical to help control populations, and enjoyable because it's fun and it puts meat in the freezer. But no, it's not a sport. And certainly not necessary for existence. It would not even be necessary for controlling out-of-control populations IF this were still the old days when more people hunted, and a balance was struck. Now, the health of the herd is dependent in part upon hunting, with some species. I kinda doubt that I would hunt deer if it weren't for the need for population control, for all the many reasons for that. As for birds, I'd probably still hunt quail, pheasant, & turkey occasionally even if it wasn't necessary for population control - and in fact, it's not necessary to the health of the "flock" to hunt quail, I don't think. Now hockey is a sport - my team can lose on any given game day, no matter how hard I try. I suppose you can "lose" the hunt, and I often do, but still that's not the key factor to it being a sport - sport is mano a mano, where both parties are equally equipped.

In any event, we should probably let this silly thread die. There is no bigfoot of course, but if there were, no I wouldn't shoot it because obviously it'd be an endangered species.
Old June 13, 2007, 04:23 PM   #64
roy reali

Re:firstfreedom

Game animals do not have that many advantages over us.
Old June 13, 2007, 04:36 PM   #65
FirstFreedom

Ahhh, I see what you're saying....you're turning this around on me:

Quote:
because it's not an even playing field.
Well, good point - they have several advantages in their favor (speed, strength, better nose, better ears, etc.), and we have certain advantages (intelligence, GUNS, BOWS, etc.). Hard to say who has the advantage. But to me it's not a sport unless the other animal is also *trying to kill ME*.

I suppose you could say the game has the advantage since the number of game that escape to live another year each year exceed the number of game harvested each year, but that's more a function of the limits of taking game set by game laws than it is a function of the sheer level-ness of the playing field.
Old June 13, 2007, 05:09 PM   #66
Dave in AZ

probably a little gamy

Seems to me unless you planned on eating bigfoot there is little point in shooting it. However if you were to see it, then be sure to check your water supply to be sure your hydrated and avoiding hallucinations.
Old June 13, 2007, 10:28 PM   #67
ClassicSWC

As for hunting, no one that does it ever called it "a sport". We do it for sport. Kinda hard to explain but there is a big difference. Sort of like explaining what "a sport" is. Football, baseball etc are "a sport", but what about ice skating? Certainly those folks are more talented and athletic than most everyone else. How about darts? Someone wins, someone loses, but anyone can do it. Bowling, Nascar, golf etc. The definition of sport is well like the old saying goes, "I can't define obscene, I just know it when I see it."

As for whether there is a bigfoot. Look at the Patterson film. If you know animals, you know the difference between "living" fur and a costume. Beyond that, realize that whatever walked in front of Pattersons camera weighed between 800 and 1,000lbs. Period, that's a fact. Could they make a costume to look that good, doubtful, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Could a human make those prints. No way in hell. Take a reeaally big guy, say 500lbs. Do you really think he could carry a hidden jacket of some sort weighing 300 lbs or more and look that graceful if he could even walk that far? Nope, not a chance. Who knows what Patterson filmed, but it weren't no human.
Old June 13, 2007, 11:33 PM   #68
FirstFreedom

We have a believer!

Actually, they found and interviewed the guy out in Calif. who got in the suit and played bigfoot, because of the funny way he walked (still walks) - him and his buddies admitted the whole story in great detail after Patterson died. Patterson paid them like $1,000 each to go out and help him make the film - they trekked a good ways into the wilderness on horseback. Just some good ol' boys.

http://www.rense.com/general49/making.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patterson-Gimlin_film
Old June 14, 2007, 12:24 AM   #69
roy reali

Hemmingway Quote

"Three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor racing, the rest are merely games."
Old June 14, 2007, 03:03 AM   #70
SteelCore

If I were hunting and thought that I was looking at some weird, rare creature of any kind, I would certainly not shoot it. I'd take a picture of it if I had a camera with me, and I'd mention it to the wildlife authorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playboypenguin
I am afraid I just do not see anything "sporting" in hunting. Hunting is a means of providing food. Anything beyond that is just machismo.
Well, I'm not a hunter, but I can see how hunting would be a challenge requiring skill, even if one doesn't consider it a "sport."

While I certainly don't think shooting an animal makes anyone more of a man, I don't have a problem with hunting as long as it's done humanely. After all, I own leather jackets, leather shoes, and leather belts, and I eat plenty of meat, so I'm just as responsible for the deaths of animals as any hunter. But my concerns about hunting are when people do it irresponsibly: e.g., shooting wildly at running animals and thus wounding rather than killing quickly; using too weak a cartridge for the game; shooting female animals when they may be caring for their young; and so forth. All of these things are heartless and cruel (synonymous with "manly" in the minds of some). But cleanly killing some big buck or whatever is no big deal. It's a lot more merciful than dying of age-related disease or injuries from a fight.
Old June 14, 2007, 04:04 AM   #71
keita

It all depends on your definition of "sport"....

Hunting is as much as a sport as bowling isn't it?? How about horse riding, windsurfing, shooting....all those are official olympic "sports".... How about hitting DH in baseball, heck, if you hit the ball hard enough, you don't even have to run.

You don't have to be in a life threatening situations to make it a "sport", and you don't have to be an athlete to participate in a "sport", but I would agree that I don't consider hunting a "sport", but I'd categorize it more in line with hobby/pasttime.

I can see some flaming coming, like: "if you don't think hunting is a sport, then you've never really been to a REAL hunt before"....mehhh... I play soccer twice a week, I rock climb, I run marathons.....so if you can keep up with me, then I'll listen
Old June 14, 2007, 06:40 AM   #72
Desertfox

Bigfoot, camera unless threatened. If threatened, I would make swiss cheese out of him.

Hunting for sport. Hunting for food. A little confusing so let me give my 2 cents.

I do not hunt for food. I have a job and can buy groceries. I hunt alot. I take alot of game animals. I eat most of everything I hunt.

If there is something wrong with the animal, I do not eat it. I butcher my own game and we eat it. Yet I do not hunt so we can eat it. I hunt because I love to be in the woods and I love the thrill of the chase and I love the whole experience. I feel it is my duty to the animals and the other hunters to tag and eat everything I hunt and kill.

I do not hunt to eat. I do not hunt to kill. I hunt because I love everything about it. That is my privilege.
Old June 14, 2007, 09:30 AM   #73
ZeroJunk

Obviously pro wrestling was not around in Hemingway's time.

I find it disturbing that so many want to kill something when they do not even know what it is.They will not eat it.And it has done nothing to damage them or their property.Doesn't say much for humans.
Old June 14, 2007, 09:52 AM   #74
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Homo sap's a predator, so hunting is just part of our deal. The more aggressive among us get into the more violent sports as a substitute; others go into business as their form of sublimation.

"Blood sports" would include hunting the African buffalo; I like the description, "He looks at you as though you owe him money." Jeff Cooper covers it well in his "Another Country".

But if physical condition and exertion are part of the deal, along with attributes like eye-hand coordination and a knowledge of all the factors involved, much of hunting is certainly a sport. I guess the competition factor is less formalized, since you don't really have a case of two or more people competing for a single trophy.

Fifteen miles of walking-hunting in mountainous country, with the shooting skills that are requisite and the knowledge of your prey's behavior that is necessary: That's indeed as much of a sport as running around a formalized field with other people.

It's certainly a game, as shooting has been part of the Olympics for well over a century...

Art
Old June 14, 2007, 10:26 AM   #75
Cyrgelman

Quote:
Mothman
And that's another one...

Looks to me as if the Mothman had been real, such a creature's chances of survival in a small West Virginia town during the mid 1960s would have been very small. Surely someone had a 12-gauge with 00 buck, a .30-30, a surplus Springfield, something!