The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 7, 2012, 02:02 AM   #1
Keepin_Jeepin

P6 vs P226

So I have a change to buy a well used P6. Its in perfect mechanical shape just has holster wear on the slide.

I have wanted a P226 for some time, but I cant tell what the difference is between that and the P6. Best I can gather is the P6 is a nothing special police version. Am I right or do I need to be corrected? His asking price is 350.
Old December 7, 2012, 02:09 AM   #2
lechiffre

The P226 is full size double stack (15) magazine.

The p6 is a compact single (8) magazine.

They are both the same in terms of operation.

The P6 is the police version of the P225.

do the interns get glocks ?
Old December 7, 2012, 02:16 AM   #3
Hammerhead

Yup, big differences. Both are excellent pistols.
The P6 I owned & wish I still had was a real gem.
Old December 7, 2012, 02:56 AM   #4
Keepin_Jeepin

Oh wow, my mistake. Thanks for the clarification. Because of the wear on the finish I think 350 is a little high on it.
I may offer 275 or 300. Thanks guys!
Old December 7, 2012, 04:38 AM   #5
dayman

The p225 (and so I assume the p6 as well) is in pretty high demand. Even with some holster wear $350 seems like a decent deal to me. I've had a hard time finding one for under $450.
They don't make them anymore, and the demand for easily concealed single stack 9's is pretty high right now. Talk him down if you can, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy it at $350 unless it's pretty beat up.
Old December 7, 2012, 11:15 AM   #6
darkroommike

My P6

Just my 2 cents, P6 vs. P226, the P6 is slightly smaller, thinner through the butt, and easier to conceal, also has a slightly more rounded butt. Magazines are expensive but if you persevere you can find used surplus mags occasionally for around $20 each, I bought four when I had the chance. DO NOT buy the ProMags stick with the SIG Sauer product.

Differences between the P6 and commercial P225? P6 hammer has a strange little notch in it, it's a dropped weapon indicator. P6 has a MUCH stronger double action pull-have a set of Wolfe springs to install when I get the yard whipped into shape. P6 sights are plain black, no dots but commercial take off sights are cheap-have a set to put on, SIG and "brand-X" tritium sights are also available. SIG Sauer sights are numbered, higher numbers aim higher, that means you can raise of lower POA by changing either front or rear sight to a higher or lower number. SIG SAuer sights are pretty good, the rear sight is rebated so the notch is in shadow and gives a pretty good picture.

It shoots pretty well SA, not quite as nice as my buddy's CZ75 compact (which I shoot better than he does, BTW, but that's 'cuz I just shoot more).

So far I have the pistol with two mags for $350, $80 for four more mags, $25 for springs and $15 for sights. I'd like to put a set of wood grips on mine, but the cost is prohibitive, can't make myself invest $80-150 for grips for a $300 pistol. The factory plastic stocks are nice and thin (I have smaller hands) but aesthetically unappealing, and Pachmayr is again making wrap around rubber grips. It's much less pretty than a commercial P225 but it does the same job for much less money, too.
Old December 7, 2012, 02:41 PM   #7
chris in va

Any issues with hollowpoints in your P6?
Old December 7, 2012, 04:29 PM   #8
AK103K

Having owned a couple of both, Id take the P226 without hesitation. The P6's are good guns, but need some attention to bring them up to speed, and they really are not all that much smaller than the P226.

Ive carried both, and never noticed a difference, and I doubt youd be able to tell if someone slipped one or the other in your holster without you looking.
Old December 7, 2012, 07:05 PM   #9
pat701

Both great pistols. P226 is a classic pistol that other pistols are compared with.
Old December 7, 2012, 11:21 PM   #10
darkroommike

Ammo issues

My P6 is primarily a range beast and I feed it only FMJ (so far, just found some relatively cheap HP's to try, my eventual goal is to reload it with cast). That said, it's easy to check the date on the pistol and the barrel, later barrels have a better ramp for HP's.
Old December 8, 2012, 12:16 AM   #11
doofus47

350 isn't bad. I paid 325 for a P6 with a some noticeable wear a few years ago. Nice pistol once you down-rev the hammer spring for easier DA.
I love my P6, but it would be nice to have more rounds as well. The P6 works flawlessly, but if you want to carry w/out a second magazine, P226 is the way to go.
I never had a P226, but I have never heard anyone complain about a 226.
Keep saving pennies. Buy both eventually.
Old December 8, 2012, 12:20 AM   #12
Hiker 1

$350 isn't bad - the gun world is catching on to the value in the P6 and the prices are rising. They are all Euro-cop imports, so they've been carried often and fired little. Excellent guns. I've been very happy with mine.
Old December 9, 2012, 07:45 PM   #13
smee78

I enjoy mine, I do want to put some lower weight springs into mine for DA shooting but as far as the price goes, I dont think its bad. I have always had a soft spot for a single stack 9mm.