The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 9, 2011, 07:39 PM   #1
Ben Towe

Another new wheelgun...

uploadfromtaptalk1297298142001.jpg
Well I've done it again. Ruger New Vaquero .357 Magnum. Traded the old Rock Island 1911 in on it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old February 10, 2011, 12:13 AM   #2
napp

Sweet looking gun, Ben. Where are the nipples for the caps?
Old February 10, 2011, 12:24 AM   #3
strong45side

You will be very happy with that piece.
Old February 10, 2011, 12:42 AM   #4
Ben Towe

Napp, no nipples on this one I'm afraid..

I haven't even shot it yet and its already forming a little warm spot in my heart. It's a different creature from the new Blackhawk I bought awhile back. The balance is much better of course, but the action is much smoother as well. Do they take a bit more time on the Vaquero or did I just get lucky?

Old February 10, 2011, 09:30 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Do they take a bit more time on the Vaquero or did I just get lucky?
Probably luck, or a previous owner did a trigger job. The Vaquero's are nice, I have an Vaquero and New Vaquero in .45. I would like to find a Vaquero in .44mag, don't see many of those.

Old February 10, 2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Ben Towe

Well, its new, so I guess I just got lucky. I've been lucky twice this week, so now I'm worried...

Nice looking pistols, by the way!

Old February 10, 2011, 02:32 PM   #7
Hardcase

Keep going - third time's the charm, right?
Old February 11, 2011, 02:28 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

Ben - I have a New Vaquero in .357 that is identical to your's . . . all I can say is "YOU ARE GOIN' TO LOVE IT!!!!!". I just shoot 38spl in mine and it just keeps getting better and better. I've owned a number of pistols - both C & B and modern . . . my New Vauero is my FAVORITE!!! Good luck with your's and enjoy it!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 12, 2011, 04:34 AM   #9
Ben Towe

Shot the New Vaquero today. It does not like .357s at all. I shot some Federal Hydra Shoks in it, as well as some Winchester target loads and groups were 8-9 inches left of bullseye. Broke out the .38s and it started shooting much better. Slighly high at about 10 yards give or take with both American Eagle and Magtech. Not sure why it likes the .38s so much better.
Old February 12, 2011, 03:33 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

Ben - I've never shot 357s in mine so I can't say how it would do with 'em. I'vve shot some FMJ and was able to keep fairly tight groups at about 15 yards with them. The best luck I've had is with wad cutters. I've been buying the cheaper wad cutters - mainly because of price. I'm not a competitive shooter - just like to target practice and kill paper plates and pop cans. I've shot about 300 - 400 rounds through mine (I'm guessing) and either it is getting "broken in" or I'm getting better at aiming it - or a combination of both. I think it is a case of just playing around and finding the right kind of food it likes to eat? I'm saving all of my brass and hope to get set up in reloading 38spl this next summer when I get back to MI. As I said, I'm not a competitive shooter like a lot of you are - I've read about those that have had theirs "tuned up" and work done on them. Maybe I was lucky with the one I bought, but it is one of the smoothest cocking and indexing revolvers I've ever shot and it has a great trigger pull - it's one of those that just sort of "melts in your hand" (at least for me). I was tickled pink with it just as it came out of the box. I was able to shoot at some self defense profile targets at an indoor range out here in AZ a couple of weeks ago and I was very pleased with the way it shot - all of them in the "kill zone" at varying distances. Good luck with yours and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 12, 2011, 06:38 PM   #11
Hawg

if you don't mind me asking what did they give you on the RI?
Old February 12, 2011, 07:04 PM   #12
Ben Towe

I guess I'll just have to play around with different ammo to find it's preference. I may just make it a .38 only gun. They're more fun to shoot anyway.

He had $475 on the Ruger and I gave $100 between them, so on paper they allowed $375 for the Rock Island. In reality it was more like $325 because he would have taken $425 for the Ruger. Either way, it was a hundred bucks between them.