The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Which shape do you think is the most appropriate for today's tactical threats?
Weightlifter 10 12.20%
Sprinter 14 17.07%
Decathlete 44 53.66%
Long Distance runner 14 17.07%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 18, 2010, 08:12 AM   #1
JohnH1963

What type of physical fitness is appropriate for today's tactical threats?

There are many ways a person can train themselves, from a fitness perspective, for a certain tactical environment. In regards to today's threats which appear to be in urban environments, which type of shape seems most appropriate?

1) Weightlifter- A strong bulky shape that does not have endurance or speed. Stronger then the sprinter type.

2) Sprinter- A toned muscular shape which is fast and has some strength, but lacks endurance.

3) Decathlete- A shape where the individual seems to be good with endurance, strength and sprint speed, but is not great with any one thing.

4) Long Distance runner- A slender shape where the individual has the greatest amount of endurance but lacks sprinting speed and strength.
Old March 18, 2010, 10:23 AM   #2
KLRANGL

By tactical, do you mean police/military or self defense?
I can see where endurance would be more important for police/military than for self defense, where a self defense situation would require strength and speed for a short duration.
Interesting question for sure...
I myself have always focused more on speed and endurance (they are not mutually exclusive), without focusing on strength so much (genetics wont let me build much muscle ).
Old March 18, 2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Wildalaska

Old fat guys with experience and brains

WildiminshaperoundisashapeAlaska TM
Old March 18, 2010, 10:49 AM   #4
evan1293

Quote:
Thats great...I love it!

For police work, especially for new recruits going through the academy, lean and mean is best. Lower overall weight so that they don't have problems with the runs with yet enough strength to do push ups and the other activities that require upper body strength. For the civillian, the same would probably transfer if your looking to be in good shape and well rounded enough to face a variety of situations.
Old March 18, 2010, 10:52 AM   #5
hoytinak

Quote:
True dat...if pear's a shape then I'm "in shape".
Old March 18, 2010, 10:53 AM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildalaska
+1 Old age and treachery overcomes youth and skill.

In any case, if one is training for a particular activity or occupation, one can consider any unique demands of that activity or occupation. But if one's goal is to simply go through normal life reasonably well prepared, balance is probably most appropriate. No one can predict the future.
Old March 18, 2010, 10:57 AM   #7
output

good cardio
Old March 18, 2010, 11:35 AM   #8
SPUSCG

All around fitness. I mostly lift, but lower weight higher reps, so endurance is built. Run enough to be a decent runner (no 10k runs for me but a few miles is okay at a good pace.) I wouldnt want to be big slow muscle or fast and weak. Ilm going for the middle of the road.
Old March 18, 2010, 11:56 AM   #9
Sixer

Tactical threats?

I don't really consider tactical threats while I'm at the gym. As long as you have good cardio and a build that isn't so muscular it slows you down... you should be good.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old March 18, 2010, 12:12 PM   #10
ZeSpectre

The same physical fitness that has always been wise...cardio.
Old March 18, 2010, 12:21 PM   #11
Stephen_Brady

Dependent upon your overall condition, I prefer sprinting ability. I'm 61, and can still do a 40-meter sprint in 4.3 seconds. At 15, I could run a 100-yard dash in 9.91 seconds.

The point is, in a tactical situation, you need the ability to move from point A to point B in the shortest period of time, and still be able to fire an aimed shot at the end of the sprint.

If I get into a brawl with a 20-year old, I'm likely dead. Fight or flight, and keep your powder dry!
Old March 18, 2010, 12:32 PM   #12
spacecoast

Quote:
I'm 61, and can still do a 40-meter sprint in 4.3 seconds
Yeah, right. Better get that stopwatch checked.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...nning_bac.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash

Last edited by spacecoast; March 18, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old March 18, 2010, 01:37 PM   #13
Blue Steel

The CrossFit concept of broad, general, & inclusive fitness best serves personal defense.

Link: CrossFit Journal March 2003: Police Training by Greg Glassman
Old March 18, 2010, 01:54 PM   #14
spacecoast

Distance runners tend to be rather light and quick, and good ones mix a fair amount of cross training and sprints in their workouts.
Old March 18, 2010, 02:24 PM   #15
burger and fries

i think cardio is the most important, then strengthening upper body muscles. you'd be surprised how many weight lifters give out after just a few minutes on the mat. having more reserve energy is vital to coming out on top. a person must be able to endure a sustained and accelerated heart beat with heavier breathing for at least thirty minutes. if you can't do that, then it's time to peal yourself of the sofa and put on some running shoes.

bnf
Old March 18, 2010, 03:01 PM   #16
BigJimP

I'm with WildAlaska on this one ... " Old, fat ..and chewy"...

I can't catch em, but if I do, they're toast ...." Cranky old me, with guns they know how to shoot, are a very dangerous group...
Old March 18, 2010, 03:35 PM   #17
Ian0351

I use a scaled back version of the cross-training regimen the military uses, with a focus on endurance (cardio) and functional strength (circuit training). As has been mentioned, it is inadvisable to bulk up to the point that you are inhibited in your ability to muster a rapid burst of speed.

In relation to firearms usage (staying on topic) and PT, cardio cardio cardio. Getting trained shots after sprinting is hard, especially if you don't do any regular aerobic exercise.

Also, from a survivalist point of view, the ability to walk all day with gear or run a few miles on rough track certainly won't hurt, especailly if you have to carry the reloading supplies you've been hoarding for (prohibited acronym).

Cycling a great way to rapidly cross distance in (sub)urban terrain without making excessive noise or using fossil fuels as well as being good for your heart, lungs and legs, and is reasonably easy to do with a battle rifle, unlike jogging.

Swimming is great full body exercise, is easy on older/chubbier joints, and has real-life flight vs. fight applications... but it's not good for your blued guns!

Of the options presented, decathlete is the most appropriate, and my vote.

Semper Fidelis

Last edited by Ian0351; March 18, 2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added last blurb
Old March 18, 2010, 04:23 PM   #18
Stephen_Brady

@Spacecoast

No need to get my stopwatch fixed. Your links deal with the 40-yard dash. I said "40 meters".
Old March 18, 2010, 04:47 PM   #19
Doc Intrepid

"Cage fighter" wasn't on the list.

It's all good, but lots of gym rats think they're bad asses with all their toning and abs. A guy who has been boxing in the ring for 5 or 6 years or fighting professionally is often in much better position to both avoid and give out punishment than a guy who looks great but who has never actually been in a fight. Two or three rounds in a ring will give you some idea what sort of 'tactical conditioning' you have going...

IMHO.

YMMV.
Old March 18, 2010, 04:57 PM   #20
spacecoast

Quote:
No need to get my stopwatch fixed. Your links deal with the 40-yard dash. I said "40 meters".
Which is even further than 40 yards... so what's your point?
Old March 18, 2010, 05:26 PM   #21
FreakGasolineFight

For an urban environment, I like bulky and muscular. The reason for this is mainly because I have a jacked-up ankle and because I smoke too much to really have an endurance for running ... which of course is my own fault. Long and short of it is I can't really run all that frighteningly well, so I pretty much stay in the gym and off the track.
Old March 18, 2010, 05:32 PM   #22
Balog

If a 61 y/o can run a time that's only been beaten 9 times by professional football players in the last 11 years, I want to do his workout regimen. IOW, I'm going to call BS unless I see some video.
Old March 18, 2010, 06:11 PM   #23
Stevie-Ray

I can sprint, but long distance is out unless it's less than a mile. (Half-mile is long distance for me) I've wrestled most of my life, boxed some, and have been weightlifting for near 20 years. Wish I had started that seriously in my teens. My strength and grappling ability may come in handy if my gun is ever grabbed, if I'm surprised in a dark corner of my house, etc. Then again, maybe not, but my work-outs are mostly for health reasons, not to give me any kind of edge in a gunfight. For that, only gun-fu will suffice.
Old March 18, 2010, 06:17 PM   #24
oneounceload

Quote:
for today's tactical threats
Outside of the video game crowd, perhaps you can define this a little better for me....I don't see what you mean by tactical threats - do you mean zombie hordes coming down the street looking for food........or??

Thanks for your clarification
Old March 18, 2010, 06:24 PM   #25
KenpoTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Intrepid
"Cage fighter" wasn't on the list.

It's all good, but lots of gym rats think they're bad asses with all their toning and abs. A guy who has been boxing in the ring for 5 or 6 years or fighting professionally is often in much better position to both avoid and give out punishment than a guy who looks great but who has never actually been in a fight. Two or three rounds in a ring will give you some idea what sort of 'tactical conditioning' you have going...
Yep...

Matt K.