The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 5, 2001, 05:23 PM   #1
HarryB

First time at Trap and Beretta 390 Report

It was pushing 100 and muggy outside, but I was still anxious to try out my bargain Wal Mart Beretta. I drove out to Red Mountain Trap and Skeet with a couple of boxes of Winchester AA. I hadn't shot trap before except for a couple of rounds back in high school with my H&R Topper. I did shoot occasionally from a hand trap, but hadn't busted a bird since early 2000.

I took a quick look around of the facilities (nice!) and decided that trap would be the best introduction rather than skeet or 5 station clays. It wasn't too crowded, and I shot with just one other gentleman. They recommended I use my modified tube. I shot 15 and was pretty disappointed.

I decided to try another round and concentrated more on my stance. This time I shot 23. The two I missed were straight away shots and I rushed them. I felt better now.

Odd, I don't recall too much swinging or watching the front bead. I just wached the bird leave the house, pivoted, and fired. I don't know how much luck was involved. Next time I may take a lesson to get some feedback, or just ask one of the regulars to watch if he doesn't mind.

As to the Beretta, the 50 shots I fired were the first through the gun. I had no malfunctions of anykind. I didn't pattern before hand. I wanted to, but only brought 50 shells. Most of my breaks were clean, only a couple of dinks, so I assume my pattern and stock fit are okay. The Beretta didn't come with a pad, I shot it with just the rubber butt plate. Recoil was still quite mild. I was given a name who is highly recommended locally to fit the pad and check the stock fit.

Several of the other shooters were interested in the shells I was using. Winchester AA, 2 3/4, #8 shot, 1 1/8 ounces, 1300fps. They thought that velocity figure was rather hot. The shells were also unusual, the hulls seemed slicker and thicker, and were dark gray.

I had a blast, and can't wait to get back. Would be a heck of a field trip for my junior high class! Hmmm...
Old August 5, 2001, 09:44 PM   #2
Kingcreek

I've been having a great time shooting skeet with a 390 this summer.
If you get serious about more clay busting, check out the Challenger shells(Canadian mfg). Our Range Master can get it for $37 per case of 250 shells. I'va also shot the Remington Premier STS at $47/case. Both seem to shoot cleaner than the AAs as far as powder residue IMO.
Old August 6, 2001, 05:47 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for the info, Harry. The 390 has an excellent rep, sounds like it's deserved.

A coupla things.....

For trap, just shooting the darn thing is a good way to go. Each hit or miss, your mental computer is learning what works and what doesn't. After a while, it's all done without conscious thought as to how. 13/25 for starters is about average, 23/25 is phenomenal. Good shooting....

Those AAs are one of the handicap loads, they run a little hotter than red AAs. Save those hulls, they last much longer than red AAs and are coveted by reloaders.

In the Archives over on Shotgun Report, there's info on the care and feeding of 390s and 391s. They even sell some parts.

Stock fit is important, get a pro to tweak that one for you and mount a good quality pad.

HTH....