The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 13, 2006, 10:49 PM   #1
Monkey

M1911 Feedramps & LSWC

Howdy all,

In general, what does it take to get an M1911 (modern Springfield) to eat lead SWC's?

This is a bit premature, as I haven't tried them yet, but I'm about to load some of each. I'd like to have an action plan in place if they give me any trouble.

I've read elsewhere that a lot of guns needed worked on to get them to feed properly. Mainly, I'm wondering what kind of work is typical.

The feedramp wasn't bad from the factory, but I gave it a slick polish anyway. I used my Dremel, with a felt bob & some diamond paste. Even before that, I only ever had one failure to feed (in about 1000 +/- rounds.) That was with a cheap magazine that later fell apart.

It's only been fed 230 grain FMJ (factory & handloads,) 230 grain plated (handloads,) 185 grain XTP's (handloads,) and another factory XTP (can't remember the weight.)

I'm going to be loading both 185 & 200 grain SWC's in the next week. Any suggestions?
Old February 14, 2006, 08:40 AM   #2
HSMITH

Monkey, use a round of hardball that you KNOW feeds well in your gun to set OAL and crimp for the LSWC. They should run just fine out of good magazines.

Setting the die using a ball round has been discussed here a couple times.
Old February 14, 2006, 08:53 AM   #3
Sarge

I load mine to 1.250 when using the 200 SWC, and they feed like butter through my Auto Ordnance WWII Model. Only stoppage I had was with a round that didn't hold the crimp, and deep-seated on the ramp; be sure and use plenty of crimp, and they should run fine.
Old February 17, 2006, 01:37 PM   #4
Monkey

Thanks for the replies.

I'm now assembling the 185 LSWC for test. Will be doing the 200 grains next week.