The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 23, 2008, 06:03 AM   #1
45reloader

Who has a 460 S&W ?

I just wondered how the gun does with 454 and 45 colt ammo.
Is it accurate out to 50 yards? 100 yards?

Or is the gun really only accurate with the 460 round?

Last edited by 45reloader; December 23, 2008 at 06:11 AM.
Old December 23, 2008, 11:43 PM   #2
Winchester_73

I have a XVR

I have a 460 XVR. I have only shot 45 LC through it. I feel its accurate but I don't have glass on it and I have not tried sighting it on paper. However, I was able to ram pistol silhouettes at 80m offhand. I recommend getting the 8 3/8 barrel with the compensator which I think is all the XVR is. Some of the early 500s (and perhaps some 460s) were without a compensator which is not desirable on either gun. In my opinion, as long as you sight the gun in differently using a 45 LC vs a 460 since the ballistics are so different but it should group the same. The gun is well made and I bet its accurate 100 + yds. If the gun shoots nice groups with a 460, (like several articles said) then why wouldn't it should nice ones with a 45 or 454?
Old December 24, 2008, 11:33 AM   #3
davlandrum

I also have an XVR.

I got it in the spring of this year. Estimate (sorry, I don't actually count each round down the barrel) 800 rds of 45 Colt, 100 rds of .454 Casull, and 600 rds of .460.

Even though it is a ".460", there is no difference in the diameter of the actual bullet. Looking at the Barnes bullets on Midway, they list

Barnes XPB Handgun Bullets 460 S&W (451 Diameter) 275 Grain Hollow Point Lead-Free

Barnes XPB Handgun Bullets 454 Casull (451 Diameter) 250 Grain Hollow Point Lead-Free

I have a scope on mine. My impression was that the .45 Colt was slightly less accurate, but it was the absolute cheapest ammo I could find, so I do not think it was a fair comparison. I shot Hornady .460 (saving all my brass so I can start reloading this winter).

Given the same diameter of the bullets, and what I have observed, I think it is as accurate with any, even thought the point of aim is going to be way different due to the trajectory.

Before hunting season, I got to a full cylinder of .460 in a 6 inch circle at 100 yds from a standing, two hand grip, shooting single action. So I set my max range for hunting at 100 yds. Did not get a shot this season, but figure by next year, I will be ready to extend the range. With the .460, I see no reason it will not work at it's stated range (200 yds) IF THE SHOOTER CAN DO IT.

Also, I think the .460 will really shine with reloading. There are just very few commercial options available.

I absolutely hated the .454 through it, but that may have been the commercial ammo I used. It was very "snappy" recoil - just didn't feel as good to me. Again, reloading would probably solve that problem, but I am currently planning on just reloading the .45 Colt and the .460.

I tried with open sights, but just couldn't do it - 100 yds with open sights is just past where my old eyes want to make it work. 200 yds trying to see a 6 inch circle was impossible for me.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old December 27, 2008, 03:55 PM   #4
45reloader

Great review.

I have a 454 and it is snappy,unless you reload.
I'm not sure why the 460 is so different in recoil but it seems to be.
Old December 27, 2008, 04:56 PM   #5
lookylou

I saw a used 460 E/S-with the case and kit- for sale at Gander Mountain in Indianapolis a couple of weeks ago.
Man that thing looked wicked.
Old December 27, 2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Socrates

454 is a relatively small case, designed when we didn't have anything better, at very high pressure. I LOVE the 1.6" case length, since it allows the same, or better ballistics, at 50% less pressure, using a slower burning powder.

Less snappy is right...

Also, I think ammo makers use cheap powders in such cases to maximize profit, and, to give the shooter the 'feeling' that he got his monies worth for the ammo. This usually lasts until the chronograph is brought out, and, the high recoil, big flash, poor powder match results in relatively poor ballistics.
Old January 3, 2009, 12:39 AM   #7
Colt1911

For those wondering what the .460 ES is like, it's great! I love mine. I would recommend one in a second. It's hard to imagine, but you can hardly feel anyting shooting 45 Colts through it.
Old January 3, 2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Socrates

Why? The guns weigh just slightly less then the turrets on the U.S.S. Missouri.