The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 13, 2001, 09:41 PM   #1
PWK

I have noticed an unusual phenomena the last several times I have been out shooting skeet. I usually shoot between 15 and 20. Today I shot a 17 with 12 from the low house and 5 from the high house. I went back to check some of my prior scores and the same thing occurs, ussually twice as many from the low house as from the high house. I am right handed and right eye dominant. My son, who shoots better than me, noticed that I am equally as bad from all stations, not favoring any particular stations. Could I be shooting to low or do I just have a thing about the high house. Until figuring it up today I never was aware of this before.
Old January 15, 2001, 03:26 PM   #2
Bud1

You might want to double check your eye dominance. Your scores seem to indicate that you are "seeing" the clays more with your left eye, thus bringing you a bit ahead of a right-to-left crosser (low house) and behind a left-to-right crosser (high house). This should be especially evident on stations 3, 4 and 5.

Try to have an experienced skeet shooter stand behind and watch you to confirm where you are consistently hitting. The problem may be corrected through proper placement of an opaque sticker placed on the left lense of your shooting glasses to prevent you from focusing on the bead with that eye.
Old January 16, 2001, 06:49 PM   #3
PWK

Good thought, but I am definitly right eye dominant. It may be something to do with my turning to the right being more difficult on my back than turning to the left. If this is the problem I guess I should consider stretching some each day. Or maybe my setup is wrong for the high house.
Old January 18, 2001, 01:51 AM   #4
mikey357

PWK-The "Problem" you describe is not at all uncommon...it IS easier for a right-handed shooter to break targets from the "low house" than to break targets from the "high house"...its because the right-to-left swing is MORE NATURAL for a right-handed shooter AND you are moving the gun INTO your body, which tends to STRENGTHEN or REINFORCE the cheek weld(cheek-to-stock contact),as opposed to the left-to-right shot(on high-house targets) where you are moving the gun AWAY from your body and face. One of the "Cardinal Sins" in shotgunning is lifting the head...this will cause the shooter to shoot OVER the target EVERY TIME!!! This is because the EYE is the TRUE "rear sight" of the shotgun...elevate the "rear sight"(the eye) and the shot goes...high...OVER the intended target!!! The "Cure" is relatively simple...FIRST, ensure that your FOOT POSITION on the high-house targets is "pointed" far enough around to the right so that you can "follow through" COMPLETELY after you fire at the high house target...this will help ensure that the gun doesn't come "AWAY" from your face. The second thing you can do is to WORK at keeping your head FIRMLY on the stock AND keep the gun moving AFTER the shot is fired...this is referred to by clay target shooters as "staying in the gun"....Give it a try...and let us know if this helps....mikey357
Old January 20, 2001, 09:32 AM   #5
PWK

I think you may be right mikey357. It does make sence. Next time I go out I am going to try and be more aware of the stock touching my face. I am also going to try the pull away method to help me follow through better.