The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 20, 2012, 07:42 PM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Holy Mackerel !!! I am stunned!!

Quote:
Here I only thought someone got sticker shock when buying a new Vehicle.
I just had to give--$8.85 per tin for musket caps._ What are you paying for Caps in your neck of the Woods the last time you bought some?
Old June 20, 2012, 09:53 PM   #2
kwhi43

They were 42.00 a thousand last week at Friendship.At our club a couple
Months ago I bought a thousand for 36.00
Old June 20, 2012, 10:12 PM   #3
towboat-er

$5.00 / tin.
Old June 21, 2012, 01:31 AM   #4
Hawg

I think the last musket caps I bought were 6.95. 4 flange RWS. The last percussion caps I bought were 5 something and were Remington #10.
Old June 21, 2012, 05:10 AM   #5
B.L.E.

39.50/1000 at the TMLRA shoot, tax included, for CCI #11 non magnum caps.
Old June 21, 2012, 05:34 AM   #6
brushhippie

They run better than $7 a tin for Wimchester Magnums at wally which is the only locally to get them and they are only available in the fall. I did find them on the clearance isle last week at wally for 3 bucks and grabbed an arm load.
Old June 21, 2012, 06:37 AM   #7
B.L.E.

I work just a mile or so from the Cabelas in Buda TX and buying anything for muzzloaders there is like going going to a ski resort for lunch.
Not to mention they mostly cater to the crowd trying to take advantage of the ML only deer season with inlines and sabots.
I stock up on supplies every time I go to a TMLRA shoot in Brady or any other shoot where venders set up their booths.
Old June 21, 2012, 06:43 AM   #8
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Last one was 8.95, it was either that or not shoot. They only had one tin left and very little of anything else I wanted like bore butter.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old June 21, 2012, 07:03 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Gunshow I was at recently a guy was selling flints. I wanted flints for my T/C Renegade as I've been thinking of shooting it again.

$25 for THREE English chert flints!

I'll use a piece of smouldering cord before I pay that kind of money for three damned flints!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 21, 2012, 10:10 AM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
I'll use a piece of smouldering cord before I pay that kind of money
Michael: Try stonewallcreekoutfitters.com you'll be pleased. And they do offer shards also._

Quote:
Special note: Glad to see your up and about Hawg
Old June 21, 2012, 10:38 AM   #11
Hardcase

I bought a thousand CCI #10s at Cabelas last weekend for $54 It was the last box.
Old June 21, 2012, 11:33 AM   #12
bedbugbilly

Almost enough to make a fella switch to flintlock full time!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 21, 2012, 03:54 PM   #13
North East Redneck

I was paying $10 per 100, #11 and #10 CCI and #10 Remington.
Went to another shop, the owner was amazed at how much I was getting taken. He sells all the same ones for $4 per 100.
Also picked up 1000 CCI 209s at another shop for $16. This guy sells used stuff, so he probably took them in on trade or something.

Last edited by North East Redneck; June 21, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old June 21, 2012, 04:00 PM   #14
B.L.E.

Quote:
Almost enough to make a fella switch to flintlock full time!
Unless you ever tried to buy flints at Cabelas. Something like 12 bucks for a blister pack of two sawed agate flints.

I stock up when I go to a shoot from the venders there. Their stuff is usaually less costly and you can also get stuff you just can't buy at Cabelas or Wal*Mart. Real black powder and real flints for starters.
Old June 21, 2012, 04:02 PM   #15
Shotput79

$6.95 right now. Face it guys everything is a dollar more today God only knows next year.
Old June 21, 2012, 04:47 PM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Something like 12 bucks for a blister pack of two sawed agate flints."

Sawn flints are CRAP! I won't pay 50 cents a piece for the damned things!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 21, 2012, 06:14 PM   #17
B.L.E.

Quote:
Sawn flints are CRAP! I won't pay 50 cents a piece for the damned things!
I agree, you almost can't give them to me. If our forfathers had nothing but sawn agate for their flintlocks, we'd all be speaking Indian today.
Old June 21, 2012, 10:47 PM   #18
Shotput79

HOW!!!
Old June 22, 2012, 05:19 AM   #19
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
They were 42.00 a thousand last week at Friendship.
I wish Friendship wasn't so far away from where I live. I hear it's worth going to the nationals just for the venders that set up shop there.
Old June 22, 2012, 06:32 AM   #20
madcratebuilder

As long as Uncle keeps printing paper with out the means to back it up you get...
Old June 22, 2012, 12:15 PM   #21
awaveritt

$6.99 at McBrides in Austin. But they usually have my Goex, even though it's $21.95/lb.
Old June 22, 2012, 12:38 PM   #22
Wild Bill Bucks

I have three Walmart supercenters within a 50 mile radius, and about a 1/2 dozen gun shops. I really like to shoot the front stuffers a bunch, but I really got tired of being taken advantage of, at every turn. Checking the prices at the supercenters told me that every one of them had different prices on almost all my shooting supplies. A pound of powder at one store was $28.00 while at another store only 50 miles away was $35.00. The same held true with primers and bullets, sabots and all the other supplies that I needed. It got to where a shot was costing me around $2.00 per shot, when I got a gut full and bought a Savage MLII that shoots smokeless. My cost now is around 60 cents per shot.
I won't argue the point of modern Vs Traditional, as I love both of them, but I just can't see making every body else that kind of money to do something I enjoy. I shoot approx. 1200 rounds a year through my different guns, and that gets pretty expensive at their prices.
Old June 22, 2012, 03:22 PM   #23
bedbugbilly

O.K. . . B.L.E. . . I'll rephrase my original post about changing to flintlocks . . . er . . change that to "match locks".

I agree on the sawn flints. I've always picked mine up from vendors at Friendship, etc. When I find 'em at a good price, I stock up. I've been in the BP hobby more than 50 years . . . a person has to look around and become familiar with suppliers that aren''t the chain stores. Some of the best deals I've found over the years have been from fellow shooters who peddle supplies.

Let's face it . . at least there is a choice in musket caps today. When I started shooting military muskets in the early 60's, they were often very hard to come by. Alcan started producing them - 4 wing caps. If I remember correctly, when they made the announcement that they were going to make them, Dixie G.W. ordered something like a million of them. When the were "fresh" out of the sealed tin, they were pretty good. If they sat around in you leather cap box between skirmishes, they sometimes became a little "iffy".

In those days, the only supplier (an old gunsmith) that I could by caps from stocked Remingtons (I'm talking #11s and 12s). They were excellent caps and always went bang. Now a days, I buy 'em in quantity of 1,000 at a time. Yea, they last a long time but when I find 'em, I get 'em. Like anything else, the price is just going to increase.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63