The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 11, 2013, 11:27 AM   #1
BoogieMan

I want a Military Rifle

I love the history of these old rifles. I have a Enfield and a sporterized Mauser. I am itching to buy another gun.
Today I looked at a Chinese SKS in good condition with bayonet for $350
Also a Chinese Mosin 44 with bayonet, clean bore 1960 year for $300
I like the SKS and I am afraid this might be one of the rifles that becomes limited with new laws. Both fire a fairly reasonable priced round. Both very cool rifles IMO.
What is the better buy? Either one is just a range toy with no real intended purpose.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 11, 2013, 11:54 AM   #2
tahunua001

the price on the SKS is good but if you are worried about them being banned, don't. the SKS was fully ban compliant during the Clinton AWB, they have no flash hider/muzzle break, non detachable magazine(most of them) 10 round capacity and don't come standard with a full pistol grip or telescoping/foldup stock. the columbine shooting happened while that ban was still in place and an SKS was used as it was about the scariest gun available.

the Chinese mosin(actual model is type 53, M44s were russian) is a little on the high end of the price range but still within acceptable limits. I don't know much about the quality of them but since they got most of their tooling from russia anyways I suppose that the quality can't be too different from russian rifles.
Old January 11, 2013, 06:17 PM   #3
kraigwy

I vote for the M1 Garand. You can get them from the CMP probably for less then you'd have to pay for a SKS or AK now days.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 11, 2013, 07:30 PM   #4
tahunua001

not really true anymore Kraigwy,
there are 8 full pages of listings on gunbroker right now for SKS and many are going for around $300, I picked my SKS up at the height of the panic for $239 and the same shop still has them at the same price. I would like to be able to find a garand for that but I highly doubt it's going to happen.
Old January 11, 2013, 08:47 PM   #5
BoogieMan

Looked at a M1 Garand tonight. Serial number over 6m and completely unmolested. $1250. A lot more than a SKS and the ammo is 3 times the price. Beautiful firearm in excelent condition. Re-smithed M1 for $995.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 12, 2013, 07:39 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

If I were buying a new one and were concerned about a ban, the SKS would be my choice. Buy one while you still can.

I own a Russian SKS and while it doesn't see a lot of action these days, it is a lot of fun to shoot.
Old January 12, 2013, 04:41 PM   #7
stu925

kraigwy needs to stop pushing the CMP Garands or there won't be any left when my taxes come back
I would second the Garand advice though although the SKS price doesn't seem to bad and they are only going to go up in price. I wish I'd bought a crate of them when they were $89, DOH!

Stu
Old January 12, 2013, 10:52 PM   #8
mxsailor803

+1 on what Stu said. Give me a week and half or so to put my order in for a Garand.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:46 PM   #9
yuanna

i have Sar 8 springfield hk91 rifle with set trigger like to sell , shoots .85 inch with self loaded ammo . this is the first my collection like to sell. any one can tell me what's the best way to sell, at my home town ca cannt sell at store
thanks
Steven

Last edited by yuanna; January 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old January 19, 2013, 09:59 AM   #10
Punisher_1

You have to get a Garand. It's the rifle I always want to take out for a drive. I have an 03 also that's just as much fun. You gotta love a firearm that was built to withstand heavy shooting and still be able to beat something down with it and it won't snap in two. I wish I would have gotten a M1A before this happened, maybe someday. I wish I would have purchased an SKS when they were $90.00.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:16 PM   #11
BCarp

Krags are interesting and fun, and one of the slickest bolt-actions you'll ever operate. Sporters are cheap; unaltered military rifles not outrageous. The carbines are pricey....
Old January 20, 2013, 09:08 AM   #12
madcratebuilder

The Swiss straight pulls and Yugo Mausers are still low priced mil-surps. Anything US well be at least $500. Krags, M1903's and Model 1917's can make a very large collection if you get into all the variations.
Old January 20, 2013, 04:43 PM   #13
DocHopper

I love enfields myself.