The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 3, 2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Win73

Anyone else ever have this happen?

I went to exchange the memory stick and put new batteries in one of my trail cameras and when I opened it up, it was full of ants! They were all over inside it. I think I got rid of all of them. I took one of those "bug bombs" and let it spray into the open and empty battery compartment. After letting it dry out for three days, I put the batteries and a memory stick back in and it still works.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old June 3, 2012, 11:38 PM   #2
zippy13

Quote:
Anyone else ever have this happen?
Nope, perhaps you're onto something new -- did you once spill a Coke on your camera?
Old June 4, 2012, 07:05 AM   #3
Hansam

Nope. However I did have the control module of my central air conditioning system invaded by hundreds of box elder bugs. I do mean hundreds too - to the point where they were all packed so tightly into the module housing that they caused a short in the module and rendered my a/c inoperative.

As Zippy said - did you spill a soda on or in your camera's case?
Old June 4, 2012, 08:58 AM   #4
tchunter

I just had the same thing happen, did the same with ortho max but sprayed some around the base of the tree too. Seems to be working so far. The problem I can't get fixed is spiders making webs in and around one of my cameras.
Old June 4, 2012, 09:10 AM   #5
FrontSight

Maybe attracted to the warmth from the electricity?
Old June 4, 2012, 10:07 AM   #6
603Country

I had the ant problem once or maybe twice. Being not so sure that I should spray a bug spray into it, I just moved the camera (after getting all the ants out of it). And no, I hadn't spilled anything on the camera - as far as I know.
Old June 4, 2012, 11:06 AM   #7
rickyrick

Some ants will build nests near iron. I'm sure there's some other minerals in the camera they seek.

Me thinks your camera ain't watertight lol
Old June 4, 2012, 08:32 PM   #8
Win73

Quote:
Nope, perhaps you're onto something new -- did you once spill a Coke on your camera?
Nope, never spilled anything on or in it. It has been hanging on a tree for a year or more. The bug bomb seems to have worked. After I sprayed it I left it laying out on my driveway overnight with the front cover and the battery compartment cover open. Then after checking it several times a day for three days I couldn't find any more ants or sign of them.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old June 4, 2012, 09:04 PM   #9
bigalshootmupper

I've had my camera in the woods for 3+ years, no ants. I have had about 50 baby ticks, all in a clump, on my camera when I was removing it from a tree. I didn't know what it was. I touched around it and all 50 ticks ran all over the place. Since I didn't want Lyme disease, I dropped the camera on the ground and ran.
Old June 5, 2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Cool Breeze

Sheesh!......never had ants or ticks yet. sounds like you planted your camera near a nest and they were checking it out...........

YO