The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 24, 2010, 10:38 PM   #26
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent99
...I understand there is a test at the end of the NRA certified class, but what is the benefit of having that certification?
In some States it will satisfy the training requirement for a concealed weapons permit. Also, it may demonstrate satisfaction of a prerequisite for another class.

The NRA classes are standardized and their content is well known amongst instructors. So if you have a certificate from an NRA class, and you go to take another class, the instructor can know with a good level of confidence what you've been exposed to.

Don't let the test chase you off. If you pay attention, you'll do fine. In all the years I've been teaching an NRA Basic Handgun class, I can't remember anyone not passing the test.
Old July 24, 2010, 10:45 PM   #27
Agent99

Thank you Fiddletown. I think I will go for the NRA classes.
Old July 25, 2010, 06:30 PM   #28
threegun

Quote:
Beginners need to go to http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/ and check out the huge numbers of people (in the archives) who've managed to defend themselves with a firearm and yet have NEVER had one minute of specialized training. There are those here who'd have you believe that unless you have a Ph.D from Frontsite you can't defend yourself with a gun. HOGWASH!! Two or three million people do it each year and I'd bet my next paycheck that fewer than .5% of them have ever had any firearms combat training. Outside the home situational awareness is key and inside the home it's "open fire on sight". It ain't thermonuclear science folks, it's just common sense.
I read these all the time and many folks survive despite poor tactics and shooting skill. For someone to suggest that specialized or professional training is not helpful is just silly.

BTW someone once said that LE hit ratios are around 25 percent. This is with some training. "COMMON SENSE" tells me the more training the better.

For the OP I suggest following teamsinglestack's suggestions. Dryfire alot at home. Check out some books or videos that can show you some tactics. Handle the firearm alot. When you start getting better get some competition in. PPC (police pistol combat) to start then maybe some IDPA or IPSC. You will be pretty good pretty quickly and have a blast (no pun intended) to boot.
Old July 25, 2010, 06:50 PM   #29
Agent99

Quote:
I read these all the time and many folks survive despite poor tactics and shooting skill. For someone to suggest that specialized or professional training is not helpful is just silly....... "COMMON SENSE" tells me the more training the better.

I totally agree. I have been reading alot online, found some helpful videos on "ehow.com," and am checking into safety classes in my area. There are so many - trying to decide which is best for me - between ranges and sportsman clubs.
Old July 26, 2010, 10:02 AM   #30
threegun

Agent99, Look up some of the free videos offered by some of the pro shooters out their like this one from Todd Jarrett.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2856867071363#

I am an NRA certified handgun instructor and the basic pistol course is very crude IMO. I tell my students that the basic course is simply designed to insure that you have the base fundamentals for proper handgun shooting and that you understand the rules of firearm safety. A good portion of the course is spent on safety and understanding firearm and ammo components. The rest is shooting fundamentals and positions.

You can get this on line in the book "New NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting". This is the book we give our students. Its 9 bucks new.
Old July 26, 2010, 10:14 AM   #31
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by threegun
...I am an NRA certified handgun instructor and the basic pistol course is very crude IMO. I tell my students that the basic course is simply designed to insure that you have the base fundamentals for proper handgun shooting and that you understand the rules of firearm safety. A good portion of the course is spent on safety and understanding firearm and ammo components. The rest is shooting fundamentals and positions...
I'm also an NRA certified instructor. And the Basic class is, indeed, basic. That's the idea.

Folks who have been around guns for a while tend to forget how mysterious they can be for someone who is new to them. The fundamentals are, however, very important; and safety is vital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threegun
...You can get this on line in the book "New NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting". This is the book we give our students. Its 9 bucks new.
And yes, it's all in the book. But IME, nothing is as good, or as efficient, as qualified, hands-on, in person instruction.
Old July 26, 2010, 10:34 AM   #32
threegun

Quote:
And yes, it's all in the book. But IME, nothing is as good, or as efficient, as qualified, hands-on, in person instruction.
Save some time for sure. Just giving options though.
Old August 7, 2010, 01:07 AM   #33
Agent99

I talked with some friends of mine in law enforcement that know the range and all the instructors at that range. They recommended the Intro to Handguns class - based on class content and the reputation of the instructor.