The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 12, 2006, 01:40 PM   #1
ammo.crafter

The Roberts

Anyone have experience with .257 Roberts? I was toying with the idea of a single shot rifle in a calibre for deer in the northeast.
Any manufacturer recommendations and reloading info?
Old November 12, 2006, 02:51 PM   #2
10 MickeyMouse

No personal experience, but I say go for it. The .257 Roberts (built ont he 7x57 case) is definitely a classic, and more than adequate for deer at any reasonable range. My personal favorite quaterbore is .25-06; the Roberts will basically fall 200 FPS below the .25-06 with a given bullet weight. .257 Roberts AI is very close to standard .25-06.

AFAIK, Ruger chambers the .257 Robert in both the Standard #1 and the RSI model.

As an aside, I do know for a fact that Ruger chambers the #1 RSI in 7x57. Talk about a classic cartridge in a classy rifle . Would be a great derr-getter.
Old November 12, 2006, 02:56 PM   #3
Quincunx

I have a Model 70 XTR in The Bob, topped off with an old Weaver V7; it takes care of about 75%+ of my hunting needs, both here in NC and back in the People's Republic of Maryland. My main ammo choice has been nothing more than the old 117-grain round-nose softpoints (most often the Winchester +P rounds) but I've tried several others, including the Hornady Light Magnum loads which are also quite good. If you're set on a single-shot, I think that Ruger still offers their #1 in .257 Roberts, but I'm not certain; I think that their M77 might still be offered in that caliber as well. Speaking strictly from a calm, totally objective, rational viewpoint I think you'd be hard-pressed to not love a good .257 Roberts of any make!
Old November 12, 2006, 03:06 PM   #4
10 MickeyMouse

Quote:
I think that their M77 might still be offered in that caliber as well.
M77 RSI stainless

This one's priced a bit high.

M77

If you want normal.

#1B

Here's your single-shot.
Old November 13, 2006, 07:37 AM   #5
quiettype1

A large doe was facing me at about 20 yards.I placed 117+P into her chest and dropped her instantly.The bullet penetrated chest cavity,pulverized the heart and was recovered intact just below diaphragm.I was impressed.
Old November 13, 2006, 10:29 AM   #6
garryc

You didn't say what rifle, I'd suggest a T/C Encore. If you reload, the 257 Imp is a great round. It is very near as fast as a 25-06 and doesn't have as much flash or recoil, close but not as much.
Old November 13, 2006, 11:47 AM   #7
Clemson

I built up a Mauser in .257 Roberts. It is a great cartridge -- a better killer than the .243 or 6mm Remington but with what I perceive to be less recoil than either. I killed the only antelope I ever shot with the .257 at a measured range of 392 yards. One shot behind the shoulder, and she was in the cooler. That was with a 100 grain Nosler Partition bullet. It is a very flat shooting little bugger.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old November 13, 2006, 12:25 PM   #8
davlandrum

I will try and get some reloading data from my buddy. He has notebooks full of loads from his dad (who was as particular a shooter as I have ever met). His dad did up enough ammo for his mom to hunt as long as she is able before he passed away.
Old November 14, 2006, 11:47 AM   #9
essexcounty

My experience with the .257 is limited. I bought a new Ruger no.1 and it had severe bedding issues. I called Ruger and they said to sendit in. At this point I asked what their criteria for the no.1 for accuracy and they quoted me a 50 yard group that I couldn't live with. The problem was thr gun, not the round. I also have a 1917 that is chambered for Mr. Ackley's version and I love it..........Essex