The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 9, 2005, 05:45 PM   #1
detructo4130

Coyote hunting

Hey all. I was just wondering what type of supplies one would need to start coyote hunting i was told you didnt need a permit to do so in southwest pa
Old February 9, 2005, 07:04 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Preferably a rifle with more than a .22 rimfire magnum, although at very close range they'll do. But, .223 on up, usually.

A coyote call. Some discussion here:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=160433

Do some search in this forum; we've had numerous threads on this over the last six years...

I like a mouth call, more than toting one of the electronic devices--although I've used a Burnham Brothers wounded-rabbit tape in a "baby boom box" to good effect. 50' of speaker wire is a bit of a hassle, but it gets the noise away from where you're sitting.

Don't need camo. Dull, earth tones or khakis. Most important is being still and quiet.

There's a beginning...

Art
Old February 10, 2005, 09:32 AM   #3
Rmouleart

First of all learn the bio of the coyote, read books on predator hunting, methods, calls ect...then call your local F&G and find out the laws on hunting coyote, sometimes varies from county to county, town to town.
Once you know the laws and type weapon that can be used, for instance, In NH the southern areas, there is no closed season on coyotes but you can only use a rimfire, from mid to northern areas, use what you want, some area's don't allow any rifles, shotgun only, so due your self a favor and get that straight, once this is settled, start scouting, howling, hearing for call backs, listen at dusk and dawn for yelps, or howling to locate coyotes,coyotes will at times call back, they are socal animals,check area's of feed, look for area's that have, rabbits, squirrels ect...if there is snow, track the coyotes, find there beds, check river bottoms or around streams and brooks for game trails, crossings, once you established this, find a good spot to setup, i like high ground looking down a valley of sort. good vantage points are important, you want to see them before they see you, for the most part coyotes like areas of vast terrain, sometimes very thick brushy woods and high grass fields, good for cover, remember these critter are very woods wise, there life depends on itSo now you are on a good vantage point, once you get to the stand, give it about twenty minuets for you to acclimate to the area, let the woods settle, being very still as possible, set up so you can easily get to you aim without moving much, this is as long as you are one the ground, and just using camo and the surrounding to blend in, if you have a popup even better, less movement for animals to detect, whatever way you find, call in twenty minuet intervals with twenty minuets to a halfhour wait, keep your eye peeled for movement, coyotes are sneaky,and will circle and try to get the wind in there face, once a coyote detects human scent he is gone, so remember to try to find a area were the wind is in your favor for the most part, if after two tries nothing, you need to move on,at least a few miles away, find other vantage points in the area, far enough apart to be productive, coyotes range, sometimes ranging up to thirty miles, most of the time in congested areas, just a few miles will work, trial and error, and patience will produce good hunting sooner than later. I forgot to mention, in some states they have a baiting season, and night hunting, here in NH there is both at the same time Jan1-March 31,this increases your chances greatly, once a established site is present, you will find all kinds of critters come to the bait sites, not just coyotes, all leaving there mark, either scat or uran or scratches on tree's,
I have seen all types of weasels, fishercats, martins, minks, otters...I have a few bobcats show up as well, and a few bears as well, so if you are baiting, still take a good vantage point, not too close to the bait, and good cover, keep your eye peeled, a get ready for some fast action, a book I thought cover quite a bit about the subject was GerryBlairs book. Good luck. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0873...28#reader-link
Old February 10, 2005, 02:46 PM   #4
detructo4130

Thanks.

Thanks for all the info. This site really makes it great to try new things. If i had to go to the local sportinggoods store to find this stuff out they would have scoffed on me and made me feel about 1inch big so thanks to you 2 that helped me out and thanks to the firing line.
Old February 28, 2005, 10:07 PM   #5
Jseime

thats about it

i think they covered it all. i think ill throw in a suggestion for rifle just in case you really really "need" a dedicated coyote rig. id take a savage bolt in .22-250 or .243 Win (preferably a .243) then put the best 3-9X40 on it that you can afford and a bipod. then a choate stock i think its called super varminter or super sniper. anyway they look cool. have fun i swear the first time you see one your heart will double its pace
Old February 28, 2005, 11:51 PM   #6
impact

one thing I learned about coyotes! they don't come to the same call twice. Have lots of different calls.
Old April 12, 2005, 11:29 AM   #7
Fat White Boy

I saw a great video about hunting coyotes using dogs. The hunters would use a call until they got a reply. Then, they would send out a couple of dogs which would get the coyotes to chase them in close. As soon as the dogs were clear, the hunters shot the coyotes. The hunts took place in Wyoming/Montana. A really good video...