The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 18, 2013, 06:57 PM   #51
osbornk

Quote:
Man O' Man we got some shooters here. I have never even tried to shoot any of my pistols past 50 yards (G-20 and a S&W 1911). Could'nt imagine trying to pull off a 100yd shot under stress but maybe I should try now_
I think we have been reading some "fish" stories. (the big one that got away)
Old June 18, 2013, 07:38 PM   #52
redhawk45

With a good rest when I used to shoot 44 mag redhawk with scope I could put all of them on a paper plate at 95 yards. This is max for a game shot for me with that gun and distance on whitetail deer.
Old June 18, 2013, 07:52 PM   #53
Dragline45

Quote:
Quote:
Man O' Man we got some shooters here. I have never even tried to shoot any of my pistols past 50 yards (G-20 and a S&W 1911). Could'nt imagine trying to pull off a 100yd shot under stress but maybe I should try now.
I think we have been reading some "fish" stories. (the big one that got away).
Hitting targets at 100 yards with a pistol is not impossible or very hard to do with just a little practice.
Old June 19, 2013, 12:56 AM   #54
armsmaster270

I have shot B-27 Silhoute targets at 100yards with a S&W Model 19 4" using Winchester 145gr Silvertips and all rounds hit the chest cavity. Thats all I need.
Old June 20, 2013, 02:11 AM   #55
alex0535

Very much depends on the gun.

A little snubnose, I would be deadly inside 15-20 yards.

I feel like I could shoot a deer inside 50 yards and feel ethical about it, especially if I have a red dot sight. That is about where I am at as far as hitting a target the size of a whitetail's vital organs.

50 yards or less is about the typical distance a shot presents itself out in the woods here. The woods are thick, and beyond 50 yards there will usually be so much between the muzzle and the deer that I would question myself, and at that point its about time to just put the gun down and wait for another.
Old June 20, 2013, 02:20 AM   #56
OkieCruffler

Quote:
Common response from those who can not fish.
Old June 20, 2013, 08:27 AM   #57
osbornk

Quote:
Quote:

Common response from those who can not fish.
Or when the "truth" becomes a fairy tale.
Old June 20, 2013, 08:37 AM   #58
OkieCruffler

Have you ever tried to shoot a pistol at long range? Or are you content to sit in your arm chair and call others liars?
Old June 20, 2013, 08:40 AM   #59
Winchester_73

Put me down for 50 yds offhand, 2 hand hold. With 6 shots, I believe I could hit a pie plate at least 3x. The last time I shot 50 yds, I kept most shots, perhaps 70% inside a 12in circle. Its nothing to brag about, but on the other hand, I'm better than I was, and if I practice more, I can get better and better. I seem to collect more than I shoot, but I do enjoy shooting. I have trouble finding the time unfortunately.
Old June 20, 2013, 08:51 AM   #60
SgtLumpy

So, you self confidence lackers who think there's fish stories, which one's? Which posts/posters do you think are lying? I haven't seen a description of accuracy in this thread that I don't see every week at my local range, from several shooters.

On target at 50 yards with iron sights? That's my post. Do you think I'm lying? Do you think 50 yards is unobtainable? I see people do that all the time. I've seen people put at least one round in the target at 50 on their first time at the range.

I've got one pistol that I've put 100,000 rounds through. A few hundred of those rounds were plinking. The rest of them were either serious study or matches or qualifications. Do you suppose that after 100k repititions of something, you'd tend to get pretty good at refining what needs to be refined and eliminating what's causing distractions so you can make the shot?

Missing round hole in the 50 yard part of the image below was at 11 o'clock, just outside the 7 ring. I've since adjusted my sights.

No fish here. If you're anywhere near Phoenix, I'll take you to the range and show you how to believe you can make the shot. I'll be there this Sunday morning.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 20, 2013, 09:23 AM   #61
tgstoken

My free hand comfort range is about 20 yards. My rested range is 50 yards (both with open sights). A scope pushes that out to 100 yards.
Old June 20, 2013, 07:50 PM   #62
Wild-Bill

.030 movement of end of a 6" barrel will get you 15 inches at 100 yards. If I did my math correct.
.030 is close to 1/32" Either very steady or very lucky.
Old June 21, 2013, 03:29 PM   #63
SgtLumpy

I'll bet you can easily see/sense an 030 difference in sight alignment, if that's the correct trig (I have no idea). When the sight tops aren't level or when the side spacing of the post in the notch isn't equal, it doesn't take much to see it.

The "very steady" factor isn't nearly as important as the "press the trigger at the right time" factor. ie, your sights and gun can weave all over the place. Only thing that matters is where the sights are lined up when you send the bullet.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 21, 2013, 03:59 PM   #64
Ibmikey

I routinely shot bowling pins at 100 yards with my Glock 22, at least I could 10 years ago! Used a center hold on the pin. Actually any accomplished shot should be able to hit man sized targets at that range using full power ammo. In the old days of PPC shooting the first five rounds of 38 wadcutter ammo were fired at sixty yards, I used a 4" model 19 and got 3" groups or smaller.