The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 31, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1
wileybelch

Shotshell collectors...HELP!

I need to know what 10 gauge shotshells were being sold during the 1880s through the year 1900. Any details on the loads from the original boxes would be wonderful! Of course, manufacturers literature or period catalog data would also help. I have a Remington 1889 10 gauge sxs that I want to reload. In those days, chamber information was not included in the barrel markings. I get the impression that shotgun chambers may have been cut to some maximum that would allow the gun to use any length ammo the shooter might find in the local hardware store and therefore nobody cared what the gun chamber length was - it would chamber/shoot anything in that gauge. As best I can measure, my chambers will accept a 2 7/8" shotshell.
Old August 31, 2012, 04:47 PM   #2
WV_gunner

Maybe this can help

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi...tage_loads.htm
Old September 1, 2012, 06:31 AM   #3
wileybelch

To WV...
All the Ballistic Products discussions of the 10 gauge essentially apply to post 1930 shotguns. There are some loose references to earlier shotguns, but there is no discussion of black powder ammunition of any vintage. That's why I thought to ask collectors for specific ammo description from 19th century factory production which were surely black powder based. Thanks for your reply, tho'. More help anybody...?
Old September 1, 2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

There are discussion forums that focus on this subject as wall as bp rifles. Do some googling, I'm sure you will find them.

Tags
rhb