The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 29, 2010, 02:16 AM   #1
Glockfan84

new to NFA

I've been into guns pretty serious for a long time, but have never had any NFA firearms and interest has hit me.

Where is a good place to start looking for a machinegun at a reasonable price ?
That and learning exactly what a decent price is, since they don't come for sale very often.

I know how the process works, and don't think getting a signature would be hard here but I don't want to start dealing with that if I can't find anything.

Is their better boards/forums for this? The boards I've been using, don't really have much for a NFA section.

I am interested in a PPSH41. Probably nothing else would interest me enough to go through the process.

I found a few, all for 17.5k or higher.

That seems high, I don't need a collector one, just a shooter. Could one be found in the lower teens ? 10-14k ?
Old December 29, 2010, 10:43 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/?...=&session_key=

You say you are a shooter not a collector but the PPSH is very rare in the US and it is a collector gun. The best I have ever seen a PPSH was $14000 and that was a few years ago.

If you want a subgun for a shooter, look at the MAC type guns, M76, Sten, Uzi

If you were thinking about the PPSH because the ammo is so cheap... http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/i...uery=retrieval look at that.

Last edited by Willie Lowman; December 29, 2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old December 29, 2010, 12:46 PM   #3
PTK

Why not go with an STG76 from BRP? It uses Suomi 36rd sticks and 72rd drums, and looks much like a PPSh.

http://www.brpguns.com/categories/Ma...%252dSuomi%29/

They also have the STG43, which uses PPSh43 mags but looks nothing like it;

http://www.brpguns.com/categories/Ma...STG%29/STG-43/

You could buy one of each for what a PPSh would cost you.
Old December 29, 2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Skans

The process basically works like this:
1. Check your state laws to make sure that you can own a machinegun.
2. Call your chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) and see if he will sign off on a Form 4 transfer. If he doesn't, you may need to go the trust/Corp/LLC route.
3. Find the machinegun you intend on purchasing and buy it. If in state, you will need to coordinate the transfer through an NFA dealer; if out of state, this will need to be coordinated using two NFA dealers.
4. Following purchase (you give seller the money) the seller delivers the gun to the NFA dealer to hold pending approval of your Form 4 by BATFE. If gun is out of state, this may require involving two NFA dealers and two transfer fees
5. Fill out Form 4, get passport photo, get finger print cards completed.
6. Get CLEO to sign off on your Form 4 - may require additional local background check.
7. Submit Form 4, photo, fingerprints $200 and CLEO signed Form 4 to BATFE.
8. Wait for 3-4 months for ATF/FBI Background check/processing.
9. When you get your Form 4 back with the tax stamp, take it to your NFA dealer and pick up gun.

I find that the folks on Sturmgwewhr.com are quite savoy about current machinegun prices. I'd simply post a question on their NFA board asking about the price range for the gun you are looking to purchase - provide good details on exactly what you would be purchasing and condition.
Old December 31, 2010, 02:32 AM   #5
Glockfan84

The PPSH has an appeal to me the others do not. I've not enough interest in stens, uzis, mac's to buy one. I seen one for 10 or 11k can't remember, but the ad was several years old.

The cheap ammo seals the deal, but it isn't the only reason.

About the only other gun I would consider is an Mp40. I seen two on gunbroker for 9k each a week or two ago.

Thanks for the advice.
Old January 3, 2011, 12:28 AM   #6
wackendogs

I dont think there is such a thing as a cheap full auto. You can start out building your own SBR thats only $200 bucks if you have an AR laying around you want to convert.
Old January 3, 2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Skans

There is really only two ways to approach purchasing your first "full-auto". 1) Buy what you can afford; 2) Buy what you really want.

What I mean by this is if you have plenty of discretionary money to spend, don't be cheap - buy what you really want. The process is a bit of a hassle and if you are only planning on buying one you might as well get exactly what you want. It doesn't matter why you want it - you just have to fully satisfy that itch.

If you are like me, and have some but not anything close to unlimited discretionary money, then you will probably limit yourself to F.A. basically around $7,000 and under.....or $4,000 and under. At the $7,000 and less level, you can buy:
AC556
FNC
lightning link - maybe
UZI
S&W M76

At the $4,000 level, you are looking at:
M10 and M11
Sten build (probably more than $4,000 now)
converted Demro Tac and other cheaper tommy-gun knock-offs.

Now, when you start talking 9,000 - $14,000, the real question is why wouldn't you spend a couple thousand more to get into an M16 platform. There is no question that it is the most versatile platform and there are numerous cheap parts available for mods, repairs, spares, etc.

Of course, there will always be some folks who just have to have this or that gun for their own personal reasons, and no other gun will satisfy the F.A. itch. I put Tommy-guns into this category. For less money you could probably get into an M16 and modify it to fire 45acp. But, that's not the point - it's simply not nor ever will be the same as a tommy gun!