The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 1, 2013, 07:18 AM   #1
spacecoast

Cool accessory... Grip Pod

Not to be confused with cheap imitation bipod grips, I was lucky enough to get a good price from Rob96 on TFL's classifieds on a genuine Grip Pod foregrip/pushbutton military bipod. It fits perfectly on my AK's Tapco lower handguard, far forward enough that it doesn't interfere with the changing of magazines and yet long enough to fit my entire hand. I have tried the "stubby" grips but they just didn't feel right, much like the difference between a two-finger and three-finger pistol grip.

The Grip Pod only weighs 7 ounces, but it's extremely well built with stainless steel-reinforced legs. I haven't tried standing on the rifle with the legs extended, as shown in the ads (not sure my Tapco collapsible stock is up to that), but I have no doubt that the Grip Pod is very tough. I think I'm really going to enjoy this on my next range trip rather than trying to use several bags built up to the correct height.

http://www.grippod.com/gsp-02-military

Last edited by spacecoast; February 1, 2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old February 3, 2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Bart Noir

I was able to get a well used one for not many bucks and then had the fun of getting the dirt out of many crevices and crannies. But it works fine. Sorta.

The weird thing is while it pops open quite smartly when it is detached and just held in my hand, that not what happens when it mounted on my AR.

When mounted, this GripPod doesn't pop the bipod quite all the way out. I have to give the gun a shake to make the bipod snap into open position.

Bart Noir
Old February 3, 2013, 02:09 PM   #3
oryx

If you have to shake it then it's not working correctly. New one will pop open whether mounted or not - quite fast.
The thing I don't care for is the length of the grip - too large and cumbersome for me. I prefer a "stubby" if one at all.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:03 PM   #4
ndking1126

Used one for a year down range. It's a wonderful thing, you'll be happy with it! I hate adding weight.. uh, accessories, so because of how lite it was I was happy too.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:43 AM   #5
I'vebeenduped

Angled Fore-grip

I don't know it this would be considered a foregrip in the future, if they are successful with the potential new laws (banned?). It is not a really a foregrip in the traditional sense. Magpul makes something like this but I got this one from Israel at (zahal.org). They make some pretty cool accessories. I really like how ergonomic it it and it seems to give lots of control over the weapon. Just another idea for you fore-grip lovers out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minirail2.jpg (36.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg minirail4.jpg (33.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg minirail5.jpg (35.3 KB, 41 views)
Old February 4, 2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Dr Big Bird PhD

I love the gen 2 Magpul AFG's. Also helps to have it for my bum wrist.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 4, 2013, 12:31 PM   #7
I'vebeenduped

Funny you should say that! I broke my Left wrist in the Army and I am unable to fully supinate my wrist. This really makes sustained shooting more comfortable. I don't know if magpul has one, but the thumb catch on this grip is really nice too. I feel like I have one heck of a grip on that rascal.
Old February 4, 2013, 01:05 PM   #8
tahunua001

I actually prefer the Mako group Grip pod, offers more stability.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:24 AM   #9
WildBill45

Quote:
use several bags built up to the correct height.
using a proper shooting rest is better than both of your options for sighting in!!!

Otherwise, why shoot a combat rifle from bags? This is tantamount to practicing martial arts on a dummy that doesn't move. In both of these scenarios your score will look better for your friends approval, but you will die in combat!

The pod does look interesting none the less, my comments notwithstanding!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Last edited by WildBill45; February 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: add a letter or two
Old February 7, 2013, 11:23 AM   #10
spacecoast

Quote:
Otherwise, why shoot a combat rifle from bags?
I get your point, but I do enjoy shooting from a rest and seeing how small I can make my groups (yes, even with an AK). So far I'm down to 1.6" at 100 yards for a 5-shot group and hope to do better in the future. The Grip Pod also has some utility shooting from the prone position and as a foregrip.
Old February 7, 2013, 07:32 PM   #11
WildBill45

Quote:
how small I can make my groups (yes, even with an AK). So far I'm down to 1.6" at 100 yards for a 5-shot group and hope to do better in the future.
If I may ask, what ammo was used for this group?

Old February 8, 2013, 05:21 AM   #12
Rob96

Glad it all worked out for you Spacecoast.
Old February 8, 2013, 08:46 AM   #13
spacecoast

Quote:
Glad it all worked out for you Spacecoast.
Thanks Rob, I will have it out the range this weekend.

Quote:
If I may ask, what ammo was used for this group?
Standard Tula steel-cased 123 gr. FMJ. Standard issue AK iron sights, I wore an aperture on my shooting glasses to help me see the rear sight clearly.

Old February 8, 2013, 10:54 PM   #14
WildBill45

Quote:
I wore an aperture on my shooting glasses to help me see the rear sight clearly.

Have never tried that. Of course my Anshultz used an aperture on both ends.

Old February 9, 2013, 09:43 AM   #15
spacecoast

It's not really necessary until your eyes are unable to focus at rear-sight distance, it usually hits around 40-45.
Old February 9, 2013, 11:30 AM   #16
WildBill45

Quote:
it usually hits around 40-45
I am much older than that I assure you!!!

I dropped down a medal at the World Police and Fire Games in Australia during the Palma matches because I didn't want to use my glasses for vanity reasons! With the front and rear apertures I didn't need them at reasonable ranges where I could still see the bullseye, but when I hit 800 and 900 yards I could not. I could see the target and guesstimated where the bull was ... silly me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Palma Shooting.jpeg (140.2 KB, 27 views)

Old February 10, 2013, 01:04 AM   #17
Bamashooter

I bought a grip pod off of ebay a couple years ago. It was used and I paid $40+shipping for it. I have used it on my Mini-14 which is equipped with a Tapco stock. My 10/22 which is equipped with a Tapco stock and my Delton E316/MOE which has a rail mounted on the magpul handguard. I love shooting with the bipod deployed off a tabletop or prone. Plus its cool to leave the bipod deployed and let the firearm sit and cool or take pics.
Old February 10, 2013, 01:09 AM   #18
ScottRiqui

Quote:
It's not really necessary until your eyes are unable to focus at rear-sight distance, it usually hits around 40-45.
Tell me about it. I'm almost 43, and I just started needing reading glasses in the past year. What's maddening is that my distance vision is still great - 20/15 or better. But I've started doing the "hold the menu at arm's length" in dimly-lit restaurants!
Old February 10, 2013, 11:34 AM   #19
Rob96

If you are over 40 and just starting to need glasses for reading you are lucky. According to many eye doctors I have spoken with, 40 is the average age that bifocals are needed.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:31 AM   #20
spacecoast

Quote:
because I didn't want to use my glasses for vanity reasons! With the front and rear apertures I didn't need them at reasonable ranges where I could still see the bullseye,
The problem with corrective lenses is that they sharpen one distance by sacrificing the ability to focus at another. That's the beauty of wearing an aperture on your shooting glasses. By filtering off-axis rays it improves close-up vision without changing your ability to focus at a distance. The caveat (and there always is one), other than having to align the aperture correctly, is that you lose some light, so this doesn't work well in dimly lit situations (which is the reason it's harder to see in the dark, your pupil is open wider and your eye's aperture is increased). However, for daytime outdoor shooting the aperture works great.