The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2008, 12:02 PM   #1
steve-o 1911

chamfer and deburr?

sorry for all the questions, what is chamfer and deburr? Do I need to do this in reloading .223?
Old March 21, 2008, 12:16 PM   #2
Scorch

Chamfering is cutting a slight bevel on a corner in order to break the sharp edge, in this example on the case mouth. Deburring is removing burrs, also from the case mouth. Yes, it is best if you chamfer cases when reloading any rifle cartridge, as otherwise you can nick the base of the bullet and damage it, or catch the bullet on the case mouth and crush the case.
Old March 21, 2008, 12:24 PM   #3
steve-o 1911

So are these serperate processes to do or is there a tool that will do both, and is it quick to do these? because I plan on making lots of loads as fast as I can. And is this done after trimming or resizing? thanks
Old March 21, 2008, 12:29 PM   #4
The Lovemaster

There are a couple combo tools for this task. RCBS and others make a standard chamfer/deburr tool that runs about $15, and Lee makes a great one that runs about $2 (That's the price at my LGS - the link below has a higher price). I have the latter, it works great. It sort of resembles a kid's pencil sharpener, if you can envision a cone with a slit in it. You use the outside of the cone for the inside of the case, and vice versa.

There's also the RCBS case prep center that runs about $99, but it does more tasks.

Here's the Lee tool: http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/pro...sp?prod=298935

Here's the RCBS tool: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag..._campaign=9315

Last edited by The Lovemaster; March 21, 2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Add info
Old March 21, 2008, 12:35 PM   #5
Scorch

Chamfering/deburring is done at the same time with the same tool, typically after trimming the case. A quick twist inside the case neck, a quick twist on the outside and you're done. You can buy a chamfer/beburr tool that cuts the inside of the neck and another for the outside, but it's too much for me. RCBS, Lyman, Hornady all sell basically the same tool (double-ended, one end for inside, the other end for outside), Lee has a little different tool (I have one but don't particularly like it becasue it is small and I have big hands). They all do the same thing, pick the one you like.
Old March 21, 2008, 01:39 PM   #6
nbkky71

If you're planning on processing a lot of brass then the Giraud power trimmer is the way to go. Trims and chamfers quickly in one step.

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

It's not cheap, but will save a ton of time.
Old March 21, 2008, 03:23 PM   #7
HJ857

Quote:
So are these serperate processes to do or is there a tool that will do both, and is it quick to do these? because I plan on making lots of loads as fast as I can. And is this done after trimming or resizing? thanks

First, you resize and remove the spent primer in one step, then trim. The trimming is what creates the burrs on the case mouth, chamfer just eases the seating of a new bullet.

If you plan on doing a lot of cases then the Giraud really does seem to be the best option. It's real high on my list of things to buy when cash becomes available. As if that may ever happen...

I think case prep is the worst part of handloading, it's tedious and time consuming.

Some guys really like the Lee chamfer/deburr tool with the case mounted in a power screwdriver or drill. I never had any luck with that, but I do use the Lee Zip Trim with the universal chuck. It's ok, but there's better available. I also use a Lyman Universal lathe type trimmer, but it's a PITA to get set to the correct trim length. Once it's set up though, it's plenty fast.

To chamfer, de-burr and to remove military primer crimp I use the RCBS Trim Mate. I little pricey compared to the Lee system, but for me it's way faster.

You didn't mention primer crimp removal, if you plan on using range brass, it's almost a guarantee that you'll have to deal with removing crimps. Lots of threads on that topic as well.
Old March 21, 2008, 04:17 PM   #8
steve-o 1911

thanks guys thanks a bunch!
Old March 21, 2008, 04:25 PM   #9
NavyLT

Quote:
Some guys really like the Lee chamfer/deburr tool with the case mounted in a power screwdriver or drill.
Isn't that way too much overkill? I mean one or two twists with each side of the tool is plenty on the case mouth. I do the trimming with the Lee hand tool and the chuck that holds the case in the drill. But that is completely different than debur and chamfer.

I just don't want people to think they really have to crank on the case mouth with that tool.

For primer crimp, I really like the RCBS swaging tool. I use the swager part off the press by hand to check and see if the case needs the crimp removed and it is a real time saver. Then when I get enough crimped cases, I put the tool in the press and actually swage the primer pockets that need it.
Old March 21, 2008, 06:18 PM   #10
drail

When using a power tool all you need to do is just lightly kiss the tool to the case. Some people probably do go a little overboard with this the first time they power up. I only use power if I have a large batch of new brass that really needs deburring and chamfering. It helps a lot for all of us old farts with arthritis. Just give it less than you think. It doesn't take much.
Old March 21, 2008, 06:34 PM   #11
kodiak

Chamfer/deburr

I use the RCBS Trim-Mate center which has 5 powered positions to complete
chamfering,deburring,primer pocket reaming, military crimp removal, and flash hole deburring. Works great and saves time.