The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 29, 2009, 10:32 AM   #1
rustypigeon

.453 cast bullets in a 45 ACP?

I have a bunch of 200 grain cast lead bullets I bought years ago but never shot. When I ordered them I seem to remember ordering .452" diameter bullets. Today I opened a box and measured them with calipers and they all measured .453". Are these ok to shoot in a 45 ACP? Am I going to have leading problems? (I plan on shooting them out of a SIG 220)
Old August 29, 2009, 10:35 AM   #2
zxcvbob

If they feed OK, they'll shoot OK. Oversized bullets don't cause leading, undersized bullets do. (you could also resize them down using a Lee push-thru bullet sizer)
Old August 29, 2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Their fine from a shooting standpoint. Swaging lead 0.002" is no issue at all. It isn't even an issue with jacketed bullets. Some guns actually perform better with 0.002" oversize bullets. The only problem you might encounter is if you have some thicker wall brass you might find they chamber a little too snugly for best feed reliability. If so, get one of the Lee push-through sizers that work on a regular loading press and run them all through that to bring them down to 0.452".
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 29, 2009, 05:14 PM   #4
rustypigeon

Am I going to need to lube the bullets to reduce them by .001" in the lee die? I have never used a bullet sizer.
Old August 29, 2009, 05:28 PM   #5
PBKing

Quote:
Am I going to need to lube the bullets to reduce them by .001" in the lee die? I have never used a bullet sizer.
NO

Are they lubed? Dont see many commercial lead bullets not lubed but thought I'd ask.

Quote:
The only problem you might encounter is if you have some thicker wall brass you might find they chamber a little too snugly for best feed reliability.
Another good reason to segregate headstamps IMO.

Last edited by PBKing; August 29, 2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old August 29, 2009, 06:46 PM   #6
rustypigeon

My bullets are wax lubed. I just read the directions on the lee die and I thought you had to lube the bullets before running them through the sizer. How do you get the bullets out of the size die after they are sized?
Old August 29, 2009, 06:52 PM   #7
PBKing

The next bullet pushes it out and they collect in the container provided.

You wont have to lube for .001.

I believe the instructions are for TL. Most of my bullets drop in spec as cast however sometimes I run into some fat ones and lube with dish soap for the sizer. Otherwise TL prior to sizing is messy. I size naked and TL after.

Last edited by PBKing; August 29, 2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old August 29, 2009, 06:54 PM   #8
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

the next bullet pushes the previous one out. They go completly thru the sizer die. In the bottom and out the top. The kit comes with a little jar catcher thing that fits on top of the die that collects the bullets as they are pushed out of the top of the sizer die.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old August 29, 2009, 07:02 PM   #9
Edward429451

You may want to drop a couple tenths or so off the load data a manual gives you if the manuals bullet was smaller sized.
Old August 31, 2009, 03:31 PM   #10
rustypigeon

Any disadvantage to a larger bullet diameter? Other than higher pressure?

I measured my barrel with a precision internal micrometer and got .4515. The bullets measure .4535.
Old September 1, 2009, 07:51 AM   #11
W. C. Quantrill

Dont get so excited with the micrometers. The bullets will work fine. You run them through the sizer or you run them up the barrel, no difference. In fact, you may notice, if you have a ransom rest, that you get increased accuracy.

Cast lead is elastic to a certain extent, depending upon the alloy. You are talking a thousandth of an inch here. Take for example, a .45-70 barrel. They have been accused of being variable in bore,,,anywhere from .456 to .463 I have heard. My barrel is .458 as it is supposed to be, however,,,if you fire a .458 bullet in the .456, it comes out of the water tank as .456. If you fire it in a .463, it comes out of the retrieval tank as .463. It will swage down or obiturate up to fit the barrel, and one thousandth of an inch is merely mental masturbation.
Old September 1, 2009, 08:14 AM   #12
Big G

PBKing, why do you size in the nude ? Think of an accordian, how it streches out and comes back to its original form. When all that pressure hits the back of the bullet it alongates then comes back(it will size itself). Load just a few and make sure they will chamber. In thick brass the case may bulge enough to give you problems in a tight chamber. Or just send the bullets to me.

Last edited by Big G; September 1, 2009 at 08:45 AM.