The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 10, 2014, 01:01 PM   #1
new_camper

Budget Sope for AR15

I am looking for a budget scope for an ar to hunt with. Expected ranges are from close south east woods shots to 200 ish. The longer shots would be on coyotes. I looked at some 1x4 scopes but feel like I could get a better 2x7 for the same money. I was looking at some of the redfield line like the revenge and revolution. How do these stack up?

Also what mount would I need for a flat top ar?
Old August 10, 2014, 02:52 PM   #2
arizona98tj

I have optics on all of my ARs. I use the Burris P.E.P.R mount on two of them. Works well, IMO.

As for an optic, I've got a couple of Vortex scopes and don't buy anything else anymore. Just put one on my 6.5 Grendel AR. Vortex makes a 2-7x35 in their Diamondback line if that is the power you are looking for. I have a Diamondback HP on one of my ARs.
Old August 12, 2014, 01:48 AM   #3
bamaranger

AR rifle or carbine?

We just put a 1-4x on a flat top carbine with front sight tower. The scope was a an older Leupold variable in the "II " class. Bamaboy used that scope on another rifle as well in 3 gun, and hitting a 9" pieplate at 200 was not difficult, more X power is not really needed. I'd think that would equate to a 'yote or deer boiler room. I don't want a bigger scope on a carbine.

But its your rifle...you want more x's, OK. A full rifle could certainly take more glass and not be cumbersome.

Redfield is now a branch of Leupold, and I have heard nothing but good stuff, but no personal experience. The "battlezone" Redfields I've looked through had reticles too fine for field work I thought....mil dots more visible. Again, on a personal note, the Nikon BDC with its little loop holes does not appeal to either, not precise enough to suit...but thats me.

If your AR has a sight tower, you will need something to get the scope high enough to stay out of the field of view. HIgh or Xtrahigh rings are needed. The PEPR, or the Nikon 223 series works well. Those mounts also get the scope far enough forward to get proper eye relief too.. The skys the limit on AR mounts......the above models are affordable, the Nikon stuff about $50.00.
Old August 12, 2014, 04:11 AM   #4
Brotherbadger

Primary arms has some decent scopes in that price range. As mentioned, the redfield is a great buy for the money as well.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "