The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2011, 09:48 AM   #26
floydster

I have never had good luck with Titegroup and cast bullets in my 45"s, and I have tried a lot of different loads--however with plated and FMJ I had reasonable success.
Old June 22, 2011, 09:50 AM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

If you're getting 785 fps from a load that should produce around 890 fps (extrapolating from Hodgdon's load data) from a 5" barrel, then pressure is low. Loose chamber or maybe just gas escaping around the case because the start pressure is low (about 13,000 psi to get that velocity with that much powder). Or maybe your bullets just have a super good lube, so neither the case grip nor the bore friction are normal.

I'm going to guess the low pressure is slow getting the slide to start back into counterbattery, so the gun unlocks more slowly and the barrel line stays low longer. That's great for perceived recoil, but will lower POI. I suggest you creep the load up, rather than down, as you are already getting low pressure load behavior. Keep going until you get to the 855 fps published velocity from Hodgdon. Your pressure should then be slightly lower but still much closer to Hodgdon's (because you are using a greater quantity of powder and making more total gas volume, so a larger portion of the bullet acceleration is later in the tube).

That should happen in your gun somewhere around 5.4 to 5.6 grains. I would work up to it in 0.1 grain steps, though, as you could pass a threshold where the case seal improves, then get a velocity and pressure jump.

Note that all the above assumes your chronograph is accurate.

Edit:

I just noticed that Hodgdon's data uses a 1.200" COL. That may account for the lower charge.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 22, 2011, 10:33 PM   #28
Lost Sheep

What zero?

Jim, in post #4 seemed to me to have asked the right first question. At what distance are you zeroed? Not factory load, the load that is giving you the question.

Lost Sheep
Old June 23, 2011, 07:56 AM   #29
Unclenick
Staff

I don't believe he has a zero for them. In post three he says factory ammo is fine (no drop), and this is so in both his full-size and Commander size 1911's. They may be fixed sight guns. I don't know.

I think his bullets are just scooting down the tube so easily the powder can't build enough pressure to perform. My solution would be to switch to 5 grains of Bullseye, which I know works well in various low pressure loads. Maybe he could borrow a few teaspoons from someone using it to see what happens?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle