The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 25, 2010, 08:07 PM   #1
dogfood

Receiver shell holder (carrier? side-saddle?) for Mossberg 500/590

Hey Folks:

I'm looking to add one of those receiver-mounted shell holders ... or shell carriers ... or shell loaders ... or side-saddle ... to a Mossberg 590 (they seem to have different names, depending on the manufacturer).

Just wanted to know if anyone had any experiences, good or bad. Pricing seems to run all over the map.

Thanks,
dogfood

Last edited by dogfood; September 25, 2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old September 25, 2010, 09:57 PM   #2
noyes

Mount one of these to it and learn to do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3E5wtmWCk4

Just a thought.
Old September 26, 2010, 12:17 AM   #3
the rifleer

To the OP, they work pretty well. I like the slip-on ones that go on the stock. They aren't as fast, but you can take it off easily when you want to go skeet shooting and you don't get crap about being a mall ninja.

What are those belt holder things called? i've never seen them. Can you get them for 20 gauge?
Old September 26, 2010, 01:45 AM   #4
Sphawley

The belt things are pretty cool where would you find them? Thanks for the video very cool...
Old September 26, 2010, 08:43 AM   #5
dogfood

Ok, good ideas, but here's the scoop: I'll be using the Mossberg for 3-gun, and depending on the course, I need 20+ rounds of shotgun, starting with 8 rounds max in the firearm (chamber and tube). As such, I'm trying to both maximize the number I can carry ... and minimize the number I need to carry on my belt, since I've got plenty of other gear on my belt already.

Since this 590 doesn't go to the skeet/trap/sporting clays range, I'm not concerned about the "mall ninja" stereotype. And the slip-on buttstock version would be a solution, except that it covers up my speedfeed stock, eliminating some of my existing capacity.

I had already planned on one or two of the "belt holder things" (I saw a couple of guys use them successfully at the last shoot). For reference, Brownells calls this a "12 gauge speed stripper", available in 4-round and 6-round versions. It's made by California Competition Works. I'm sure it's available elsewhere ... and other versions from other companies may exist. I have not seen a 20 gauge model.

dogfood
Old September 27, 2010, 09:07 PM   #6
Kmar40

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=422576
Old September 27, 2010, 09:10 PM   #7
Kmar40

I've tried them all. I keep coming back to the butt cuff. I don't like the side saddle because it screws up the balance of the guns. And I've had a couple that didn't function correctly. Low quality Chinese crap comes in many different boxes these days. The side saddle mounts using holes and hardware that does other things (like mount the extractor, I think, memory is bad).

Even though the current model I have was fine, I decided I didn't want to give up reliability to add that tacticool side saddle.
Old September 28, 2010, 01:20 AM   #8
bamaranger

not for me

I don't like the "side saddles", mainly because they clutter the gun right where I routinely grasp it for easy, trail or casual carry. The saddles get in the way of some gun mounts in vehs too.

Slip on cuffs seem to be everywhere except where their supposed to be in use. unless taped or tacked, and that looks dumb as well, and the tape gets funky.

What is working is to use the hard side saddle carriers or similar shell holders, attached or screwed permanently to the buttstock.
Old September 28, 2010, 04:33 AM   #9
scorpion_tyr

I have one on my 870 and it works pretty good. I didn't think I'd like it at first but it's not to bad. The balance is still good, it just adds a little bit of weight to it.

Those elastic shell holders that go over the stock have a bad habbit of riding up the stock while shooting. If it rides up far enough it'll drop down and hang with the ammo on the bottom. I'd stay away from them if you plan on shooting at a match or something.