The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 28, 2009, 03:03 AM   #1
olyinaz

5 1/2" Old Army - question for those who have

Regarding the 5 1/2" SS ROA I just picked up, I've two questions for those who have one:

Where is your warning stamped (left side or top)?

Is the serial number (last few numbers) stamped or hand scribed into the front of your cylinder?

Thanks!

Oly
Old April 28, 2009, 03:16 AM   #2
Dingoboyx

Hi Oly

My 7 1/2" roa's have the writing on the left side of the barrel (facing away from you as if shooting) & the black powder warning is on the cylinder (around it)

The serial number is only stamped on the right hand side (as above) below cylinder.

In other words, all writing is on the left hand side.... serial stamped on the right hand side under the cylinder

Like that little one
Old April 28, 2009, 08:11 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Where is your warning stamped (left side or top)?
Left side for warning, trademark on top

Quote:
Is the serial number (last few numbers) stamped or hand scribed into the front of your cylinder?
Last three #'s with electro pencil.
Old April 28, 2009, 08:41 AM   #4
williamfeldmann

On my shorty Ruger the warning is on the side of the barrel, my 7.5"s all have the billboard on top of the barrel. The shorties should all be on the side because there isn't enough length on top.

I have serial numbers (last 3) on the inside of the grip frame and the backs of both grip panels (fake ruger ivory) on the shorty.

All of my 7.5" Rugers also have the last 3 or 4 etched into the grip frame but not on the grip panels (they all have wood panels).

I have one gun that is a NIB 7.5 inch ROA that has three digits etched on the face of the cylinder. A 1 4 and 6, they correspond to the chambers. I believe that guns was chosen as proof test model. Its mate with serial +1 doesn't have them on its cylinder.
Old April 28, 2009, 12:26 PM   #5
olyinaz

Go figure!!

Mine has the warning on the top of the barrel and it's in very small script. Leaves both barrel sides smooth and glossy (I like that A LOT). Red emblems on the grips. Last three of the serial number "electro penciled" (like that term...) on the face of the cylinder. I've not checked under the grips yet.

And get this - the box is marked high gloss stainless and the frame certainly is mirror finished but the cylinder is brushed/standard stainless finish. And the box is marked caliber .45 LC even though the serial numbers match!

I highly suspect I've gotten myself a parts gun they found kicking around the factory. Which is just fine with me I might add but I might send it to Ruger to have them polish the cylinder for me as I highly suspect they'd do it for free under warranty.

Cheers,
Oly

P.S. My old 1976 vintage "Liberty" model has the last three digits of the serial number hand stamped into the face of the cylinder. Not that it matters but that's what surprised me about the hand etched numbers on my new one.