The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 19, 2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Team Roper

Uberti Cattleman 357 question #2

Ok I'm new here but not new to shooting, Finally broke down and order a Cattleman
EL Patron in 357, have always loved the look and feel of these from Uberti. I order the 357 due to reload supply issues at present time and I have several other's of same caliber and have plenty of ammo. I got to thinking if this cattleman would handle the normal off the shelf ammo { NOT +P } So I ask the dealer, OH YA he said it so quick it made me question his knowledge, so as not to be rude I thought I better do some research from people who know the ins and outs of these cowboy guns, and thats you fine folks.

will the gun hold up under these stock ammo pressures, or is it cowboy loads only. You know wear and tear is a concern but safety is foremost concern. guess I could do some loads for it, IF I COULD FIND SOME PRIMERS!!!

Cheers

DEMOCRACY is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY is a well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote.
Old April 19, 2009, 07:54 PM   #2
erikrichard

Never heard of .357 magnum +P ammo, are you referring to .38 sp +P?
All .357 magnum revolvers are built to shoot just that, full house .357 magnum rounds. I guess I'm not really sure what you're asking...
Old April 19, 2009, 08:18 PM   #3
Hawg

Actually they do make .357+P loads. The Cattleman will handle regular .357 loads with no problems.
Old April 19, 2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Team Roper

Thanks Guys
Ya theirs some hot or +p 357 out there, and you can load some hot loads as well. never had any need for them even in my GP100. But never having one of these Colt Reproductions thought I better ask.

Got a whole Bunch of 38's but they are so dirty at clean up I have found. Anyone found a cleaner 38 off the shelf or powder that burns cleaner or should I say has enough A** to get it all out of the barrel.
Shoot Straight
Cheers
Old April 19, 2009, 10:47 PM   #5
erikrichard

I stand corrected, although the idea of +p .357 mag certainly sounds like overkill for sd.
Old April 20, 2009, 07:18 AM   #6
mykeal

It's simple human nature, that as soon as someone produces the 'most powerful' cartridge load, some neanderthal has to load it even hotter. I believe the only gun that has not been 'overloaded' is a 16 inch naval gun...
Old April 20, 2009, 08:17 AM   #7
Team Roper

Ya theirs some hot or +p 357 out there

+P is a my way of saying heavy hot load, Buffalo Bore offers some, But I have never understood what the need would be, 357, 45lc are heavy enough for my needs, I guess pistol hunters would use these ?
Thanks for the replies everyone
Old April 20, 2009, 11:13 AM   #8
CraigC

Your Cattleman is stronger than any mid-sized .357 double action such as GP-100's and S&W 686's. It will withstand a fair amount of "enthusiastic" handloading.
Old April 20, 2009, 04:58 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Your Cattleman is stronger than any mid-sized .357 double action such as GP-100's and S&W 686's. It will withstand a fair amount of "enthusiastic" handloading.
Does that mean I can load my 44-40's up to .44 mag pressures?
Old April 20, 2009, 05:34 PM   #10
CraigC

Of course!
Old April 24, 2009, 08:38 PM   #11
Team Roper

Ok here my opinion of the Uberti El Patron
I took it down and cleaned it well both getting familar with it and cleaning any factory lube from the barrel etc, maybe not needed but it helped getting my brain around it some.
I shot 50 rounds of 38 sp 125 rn and about 25 rounds of 357 148 gr fmj thru the 1873 and my Ruger GP100.

After getting use to the action and feel of the 1873 I think this is a very fine revlover. The action is very smooth with just enough trigger action to suite me well. Had to get used to the SA, The hammer has to be fully cocked, had a couple of misfires due to not being used to the action, but it was me not the gun. It handled the 38's very well, felt great as far as recoil and keeping the gun in the palm of the hand as to be on target for the next discharge. May try some cowboy load 357's.

The 357's were fine as well, but seem to be a bit much for my taste, blow by for sure and required more concentration on keeping the gun ready for the next round. Of course I expected more kick and barrel lift with the 357 and the gun handled it well but for me and my needs I will shoot more 38's thru it than 357. 357's better in the GP100 just not as fun.

Very happy with the gun and very glad i bought it. It takes a very close second to my colt 1911 as a fun gun to shoot. It just feels good, love the action, very accurate, great metal and workmanship. Click the picture, looks like the Ruger needs some fine tuning Huh !
Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1113.jpg (229.1 KB, 104 views)
Old April 25, 2009, 03:18 AM   #12
Hawg

Never let the hammer down from half cock. Always fully cock it then lower it. If you lower it from half cock you'll ring the cylinder.
Old April 25, 2009, 08:15 AM   #13
Team Roper

Correct and Thank you
Old April 25, 2009, 09:56 AM   #14
AdmiralB

Quote:
I believe the only gun that has not been 'overloaded' is a 16 inch naval gun...
Well, they did adopt the Mk 8 superheavy shell midway through the war.

And of course, the Japanese had 18" guns (were they compensating for something?) on Yamato and Musashi.
Old April 25, 2009, 12:09 PM   #15
olyinaz

I'm glad you like yours! I like mine quite a bit as well and I find that I enjoy shooting .38 +P loads the most through it. I've got a ton of .38 issue ball ammo that I shoot in all of my .357s for plinking and while it's cheap and they go bang every time I also find it listless and dirty.

I used to enjoy .357 Mag reloads because they're usually not quite so strong and therefore fun to shoot but I've just seen too many blown up guns from .38 and .357 commercial reloads to shoot them any longer so I only shoot factory new these days. That leaves me at .38 +P as the most fun but it's hard to find it cheap any longer. Such is life and I suppose I'll have to start reloading myself some day (I've been saving shells for years so at some point...).

By the way, I've got an Uberti Stampede as well (Beretta branded) and it's also very nice and enjoyable. It's got a modern transfer-bar type ignition system (similar to a newer Ruger) but it works quite well and if I'm hiking the outback it's nice to have all six holes full should a big cat or a pack of hogs decide I'm the target of opportunity.

Cheers,
Oly
Old April 25, 2009, 12:41 PM   #16
brian45auto

there's enough replies that i think i can add mine.
i have their offering of the 1873 frontier marshall in .45colt.
pretty much the same gun, just has a bit of brass bling to it.
it's one of my favorite guns. love the feel of it. and man is it accurate. fifty yards is no problem for it, to the point that anything closer is almost a waste of ammo.....and it's not just me, any body i let shoot it, suddenly looks like a gun fighter.
it a 5.5" model, like it so much i've been half heartly looking for a 7" version of it.
fyi. i shoot bp hand loads in mine....loaded hot. 250 grn lead@950ft/sec.