The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2008, 09:10 PM   #1
zahnzieh

Handload sabot slugs!

just thought I'd let you guys know that i have been hand-loading sabot slug shotgun shells (23/4) using Lightfield components . have been working on powder load and accuracy looks very promising w. 28 grains Universal. Cost per shell comes down to about $1.10 - why havent i done this sooner!!
Old September 28, 2008, 10:32 PM   #2
mikenbarb

Im doing the same with the Lee keyed slug mold and its costing me .75 a pop. Plus their accurate out to 150yds with Herco and wwaa12's. Its amazing how much of a savings are there by loading your own sabots.
Old September 29, 2008, 01:41 PM   #3
zahnzieh

Yeah, especially when alot of the guys at the range never really practice with their slugs(off-hand, standing). You notice not many manufacturers sell components - quite a racket! A lot of the sabots made are now made overseas - so once again we pay more when the dollar is weak and material prices are high!
Old September 29, 2008, 11:02 PM   #4
freakshow10mm

I cast my own Lyman 20ga 350gr sabot slugs.
Old September 30, 2008, 11:09 PM   #5
zahnzieh

Mikenbarb, do you use a roll-crimp for your shells? If so what tool do you use - slugsrus sells a cheap roll crimp collett - Im using my buddy's he bought at ballistic products. Also do you use a drill press to do the crimp, Ive been using just a power drill, sometimes inaccurate thanks!
Old October 1, 2008, 10:29 AM   #6
mikenbarb

zahn, I use regular trap components and star crimp them as per Lee's instructions for the keyed slugs. Their great! It depends on what slug you shoot with what type of crimp you have to use for them and think the Lee kayed slug is the only one that uses a regular star crimp. Look on sleez-bay, they have lots of roll crimpers on there for good prices.
Old October 2, 2008, 09:20 PM   #7
zahnzieh

Mike, thanks for the info! You say you have great accuracy out to 100-150 yards - sounds great! what type of trap components are you using and where do you purchase them? I think I saw some at ballisticproducts.com.. Also can you load 20ga with the same system? thanks Franz S.