The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 30, 2005, 09:14 AM   #1
spily

mossberg extractor

help please, i am a brit shooter with a mossberg 9200 s/auto 12 gauge and it has stopped ejecting empties. on examination it appears that the extractor has broken as it is very loose in the block and does not snap over a cartridge rim.i have ordered a new one from havlin sales but in the meantime my problem is how does it come out of the breach block. there appears to be no rollpin holding it in. does anyone have any idea on how to get it out.i will be very obliged for any advice.many thanks in anticipation,spily.
Old September 30, 2005, 03:07 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

little help for you

Take the spring and put it in first, then the pin goes in, then the lower end of the extractor has to go into the hole in the bolt that is drill across the bolt. I do this by hand most of the time, but if it is your first, it may give you trouble. I would advise you to get a 1 gallon plastic bag and put the bolt inside it and then look through the bag while trying to put the extractor in. What I do is once the spring and pin or inside the hole that is drilled toward the back, I take the extractor and line up the "L" shape hook with the hole it lives in. I then use the left thumb to guide it in while pushing back and in toward the hole with the right thumb and index finger. Once you get the spring and pin pushed back far enough, push the hook into the hole and the spring will push the pin forward catching the hook and hold it in place. Good luck with it.
Old September 30, 2005, 03:57 PM   #3
spily

mossberg extractor

Thanks For Your Reply Its Much Appreciated, Its Caused A Lot Of Headscratching. Best Regards, Spily
Old September 30, 2005, 11:51 PM   #4
cntryboy1289

No Problem

I have the same gun myself and like it. Check back with me if you have any troubles getting it back in. Bt the way, welcome ot the forum.
Old October 1, 2005, 01:18 PM   #5
spily

mossberg extractor

thanks for you help and welcome . i bought this mossy about 3 years ago ( used ) and have had a lot of shells through it ,following your advice i have removed extractor and i thought it was relatively easy following your advice and knowhow, i recently found havlin sales web site in the states and cheryl has been a great help supplying me with gas seals and springs etc and even a cocking lever as mine somehow came loose and shot off into the blue. so i am just waiting for the postman to call and all should be ticketyboo again. thanks a bundle, spily .
Old October 1, 2005, 11:09 PM   #6
cntryboy1289

Glad to have you a part of the group

Glad all went well for you on the replacement. I haven't had as much trouble as you have with the 9200, but for the money it cost me, it sure is a fine shotgun. Numrich might be another source of parts if you ever run into a nother problem. You can find them at e-Gunparts.com. Take care,

Jeff
Old October 2, 2005, 12:10 AM   #7
shureshot0471

go spend the money on a bretta you will have it for a lifetime i have both and that mossberg is nothin but a truck gun to me now thot i have my bretta
Old October 2, 2005, 02:52 AM   #8
cntryboy1289

Lol

I use mine as a truck gun as well. I have my Benelli that I do most of my hunting with. You can have your Barreta if you like it, but the post wasn't about one of them. It was about replacing the extractor of the 9200.
Old October 2, 2005, 04:18 PM   #9
spily

mossberg extractor

Hi Jeff, I Have Already Used Numrich On Several Occasions And Find Them Very Helpfull, Got Parts For My Winny 94 And A Mosin-nagant Carbine From Them.the Mossy 9200 Was Bought Especialy As A Truck Gun ( Used But Not Abused ) And It Performs Just Great And I Realy Like It, I Suppose Any Gun Can Break Now And Again With Lots Of Use, Even Berettas Eh?,regards,paul.
Old October 3, 2005, 12:57 AM   #10
cntryboy1289

Absolutely

Paul, I thought you Brits couldn't own rifles and shotguns without special reason behind the gun. Are you in Great Britain or have you moved here or somewhere else you can have the guns? Just curious about the gun laws there in G.B.
Old October 3, 2005, 10:23 AM   #11
spily

mossberg extractor

hi jeff,yes i am in britain and we can have rifles and shotguns as long as we are members of shootin clubs. they took ( stole ) our handguns off us in 1997 but let us keep b.p. pistols and revolvers, and for the last couple of years or so there has been an upsurge of long barreled wheel guns. i own at this time the following, ruger 77 mk2 stainless target /varmint .223, winchester 94 .357 mag,mosin-nagant 7.62x54 carbine, anschutz .22 rimfire target,and a ruger old army stainless b.p. revolver as well as said 9200 and a d/b hammer 12 gauge and .410. i do what we call a lot of pest control i.e. foxes ,rabbits ,crows etc. and a lot of rats around the farms i shoot.being retired through ill health i can go out nearly as and when it suits me and and frequently have an all nighter foxing. i go out with a fellow club member and take turns lamping and shooting, we often do not blagg much at all ,but heck ,we enjoy it.the mossy is my all round gun ,3" mags bb's or n0.3 shot on full choke for 40/50 yd foxes, improved cyl for pidgeons and rabbits etc.our government in its infinite wisdom has just decreed that any reloading powder has now to be kept in plywood boxes 18mm of thickness, and compartmented for each can of powder, no nails or bolts to be used in its construction unless covered with an additional 6mm of ply and glued.its all rules and regulations which seem to appear daily following our bombing of the london tube ways. another cracker intoduced is hollow point or expanding bullets cannot be obtained unless used for vermin control only and must be recorded on our firearms certificates and actualy add to our ammount of the total ammo we can load and keep at home. they now class expanding bullets a round of ammo or loaded cartridge, anyway ,i hope this has given you a little insight as to how we go on in the uk. cheers for now ,paul.
Old October 3, 2005, 06:21 PM   #12
cntryboy1289

Very nice collection you have there

I have quite a few of the same arms as yourself. Thanks for enlightening me on the gun laws there, I was confused about it thinking they had basically stripped all of the guns from the private citizen. Glad to hear you can still have the guns you are allowed. They really seem to have lost there perspective when it comes to the honest citizen and his right to bear arms there as well Australia and Ireland too. Nice to live out in the country where you can hunt or shoot when you want to isn't it. I understand where you are coming from with the retirement. I retired from Firefighting myself at 34 due to injuries I sustained at work and know what it means to not be able to go out and do like I used to as well. I ache for you as they say.

I understand exactly what you are talking about with the Mossy being your all-arounder. I carry mine with me for the occasional pest that needs dispatching. I keep some 2 3/4" buck handy for the just-in-case situation, I gave up the 3" mag some time ago myself. A really good choke can carry the 2 3/4" out to about 40 yds for me when needed and it doesn't pack quite the same wallop as the 3" mag does. LOL, I like to be able to shoot twice atleast when I shoot. Enjoyed the chat, take care of yourself,

Jeff
Old October 4, 2005, 11:32 AM   #13
spily

mossberg extracter

best regards to you jeff and thanks for the info. just another little snippet afor i go , northen ireland and the channel isles although part of the uk somehow managed to keep there handguns!!!!!bye,paul.