The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 8, 2016, 03:03 PM   #1
Bernie Lomax

What is this stuff on my patch?

Maroon spots. Was cleaning my rifle today after leaving it to sit around dirty for about a month and one patch came out with these weird maroon-colored spots. I don't know if it's dislodged copper fouling or rust. I doubt it's rust because I only shoot non-corrosive ammo, have a chrome lined bore, and live in a very dry climate. On the other hand, I don't think it's copper fouling either because it looks like no other copper fouling I've ever seen. (copper fouling that's been dissolved by solvent comes out blue and copper fouling that's dislodged by a jag and patch presumably comes out copper-colored, which isn't maroon.)

Suggestions?

ETA: it was only one patch that came out like that and it came out near the end of the cleaning after many passes had been made. This is what leads me to believe it's some kind of fouling and not rust, because one would think that rust is fairly easy to dislodge, unlike copper fouling. If there were rust in the bore, one would think it would start showing up on the patches right away..
Old May 9, 2016, 11:07 AM   #2
9x45

Was there supposed to be a pic?
Old May 9, 2016, 11:42 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

Is it the finish flaking off of a coated cleaning rod?
Old May 9, 2016, 02:09 PM   #4
Bernie Lomax

Was there supposed to be a pic?

No, don't have a camera phone.

In any case, this has been figured out on a parallel thread over on THR. It's probably bullet sealant. (I was shooting a lot of cheap, steel cased Russian ammo.)