The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 20, 2010, 04:42 PM   #1
awaveritt

CZ bobwhite 20gauge problem

I'm using my 20ga. CZ Bobwhite side by side in Cowboy Action shooting. On my first stage Saturday, I had fired both barrels and then discovered that the gun wouldn't break open for the last two shots of the stage. On closer inspection, I was able to "break open" the action by bringing the gun down on my knee. The primer on the shell coming out of the right barrel appeared to be punctured. I continued to experience this problem all the way through the match, having to break it over my knee, and each time at least one of the shells appeared to have the punctured primer. Is this an ammo problem, is my firing pin(s) too long? Ammo is factory Winchester AA skeet loads/9 shot.
Old September 20, 2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Bailey Boat

AA's are pretty dependable so I would suspect your gun. If it's as hard to open as you say, somethings wrong!!! Make sure ALL bearing surfaces are CLEAN and properly lubed with a load bearing grease, no oil.....
Old September 20, 2010, 05:32 PM   #3
oneounceload

Have you had this problem with this gun previously?

Most of the Turkish guns I have seen have NOT been able to handle the volume of fire that CAS or similar COF's require.

IF you have punctured primers, then than it could be the ammo, or a firing pin spring
Old September 20, 2010, 07:06 PM   #4
awaveritt

Quote:
Have you had this problem with this gun previously?
This gun probably has less than 150 rounds thru it. I used it about 5 years ago for ONE Sporting Clays event and then it's first CAS match last Saturday. Lived in the closet the rest of the time. So I'm assuming what ever the problem is, it left the factory that way, rather than succumbing to excessive use. This was one of the first batch of the CZ imports of Huglu guns and seems to be finished out fairly well, but has attrocious trigger pulls, crisp but extremely heavy. The gun probably needs to be "broke in" a bit. But the firing pin problem's got me baffled. Probably needs a trip to the gun doc.