The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 13, 2010, 07:15 PM   #1
cdutton

Ammo Testing Report

So, I recently ordered a new barrel for my 870 so I could have some home defense capabilities. Along with the barrel, I ordered several types of ammo for patterning and testing. What follows are my results.

*A side note: I used my Remington 870 Express with a 20" Improved Cylinder and deer sights. I shot at intervals of 5, 10, 15, and 20 yards, which is the longest I would be shooting in my home.

Alrighty. First test was with the newish Winchester PDX1 12 gauge ammunition. This ammo is no joke. It is the epitome of the phrase "High-base". This stuff kicks harder than any other ammunition I've ever fired, although that will change throughout this report. it performed as I expected, A large hole at the point of aim, and a triangle of buck around the main slug, expanding throughout the larger distances. At 20 yards, which is the maximum I would use it, the PDX1 left a slug hole near-dead-center, and a triangle about twenty-two inches at its widest. A hard-hitting round, both for the bad guy, and my shoulder.

Test #2: Federal Vita-Shok premium 00 buckshot. Very well-grouped patterns, and BY FAR the most recoil of all the rounds I tested. The pattern was all within eleven inches at 20 yards, and I can report that although the tremendous kick makes me want to engage the enemy with a sword instead, it grouped nicely, and cycled perfectly through my pump. At 5 yards, it left a hourglass-shaped hole dead center, with a long-ways diameter of two and a half inches.I had a palm-size pattern at 10 yards, and a full-handprint at 15 yards. Great round, I'll be buying more (along with a recoil pad).

Test #3: Winchester Military-issue 00 buckshot. 3rd hardest-kicking buck I fired, although the spread was somewhat larger than the Federal. I had a full handprint pattern at 5 yards, ten inches across at ten yards, and close to two feet across at fifteen yards. After those results, I decided against firing at 20 yards, choosing instead to save my poor shoulder. I will say, though, that if it were dusk-ish, and I was the bad guy's partner, and I saw someone light him up with this round, I would flee quicker than an Egyptian enlisted soldier at the sight of America coming. This baby has got a FLAME. I had flash at 1600 hrs, with the sun still well in the sky. I can't imagine what it would look like in the dark.

Test #4: Winchester Super-X 00 buckshot. Not the hardest-kicking round, it held together pretty well, keeping a slightly-larger-than-full-handprint pattern at 15 yards, and holding at about four inches across at 5 yards. Not a bad round, I wanted to keep some extra on hand, so I decided to forgo the 20 yard shot. A decent round with decent groups, it didn't hurt so much on my shoulder, which could make it quite agreeable for some shooters who like being able to raise their arm the next few days.

I also tested remington and federal birdshot, and although it was only at 5 yards, it still left a pattern of eight inches across, and decidedly smaller holes in the target. I would not recommend 7 1/2 or 8 shot for home defense.

So, in conclusion, I can say that I'd definitely buy more Federal, more PDX1, and maybe some Super-X if I got bored. The PDX1 will be my main wild-boar defense if one comes near my dogs again, and I'll be leaving my 870 locked and loaded with Federal Vita-Shok for in-house defense.

Thanks for reading, and I hope this helps.
Old September 13, 2010, 09:30 PM   #2
scorpion_tyr

Good on you for testing your gun! And thanks for the post.

Quote:
I would not recommend 7 1/2 or 8 shot for home defense.
Nor would anyone else who had any sense about him
Old September 14, 2010, 12:30 AM   #3
Sphawley

Good post!

Gotta love the PDX1! That is my HD ammo of choice.

Thanks for the info
Old September 14, 2010, 12:13 PM   #4
jfruser

Riddle me this:

The Win PDX is slug + 3x 00 buck, right? Supposed to be the answer to the "buck or slug" question? (Both!!!!)

To me, it seems like the worst of both worlds.
* If one worries about over-penetration, the slug is a fly in the ointment.
* If one worries about keeping projectiles on target, the 00 buck are likely to spread out wider than a human's torso at range (22" @ 20 yds in the OP's test).
* If one needs to make a precision shot (say hostage situation), the buck spoils the broth, whereas a slug is ideal and Fed 00 with a FliteControl wad usually holds a tighter pattern.

I'm not sure I want those sorts of limitations in my HD ammo. I think I'll keep the buck & slugs separate(0).

What do y'all think?

(0) I prefer slugs, but they are problematic at my current residence. So, my shotguns get Rem Express 000 (soon to transition to Fed 00 FliteControl) loaded with slugs at hand/on gun
Old September 14, 2010, 12:27 PM   #5
jhog1

???

"Winchester PDX1 12 gauge ammunition. This ammo is no joke. It is the epitome of the phrase "High-base". This stuff kicks harder than any other ammunition I've ever fired"

"Federal Vita-Shok premium 00 buckshot. Very well-grouped patterns, and BY FAR the most recoil of all the rounds I tested."
Old September 14, 2010, 12:28 PM   #6
jmortimer

Thanks for the testing and report. I agree with jfruser, the Winchester PDX or whatever it is called is a bad idea. The testing I have seen finds the slug hits dead center and the three buckshots spread out too far to be of any use.
Old September 14, 2010, 12:52 PM   #7
g.willikers

The ballistics on some of those rounds are about the same as a 45-70.
No wonder they are impressive.
Thanks for the review.
Old September 14, 2010, 09:04 PM   #8
cdutton

jhog1,

If you read the next sentence about the PDX1's recoil, it clearly states "However, this will change throught my report."

Just saying.

Jfruser,

I can understand that from your point of view. However:
#1 In my living situation, I have no one to worry about second penetration, and my closest neighbors are a mile away, so stray buck doesn't concern me.

#2 I want that slug for the knock-down power of a slug combined with the ruptured vitals and mass trauma buckshot will bring.

#3 Should a hostage situation arise, I would more than likely transition to a sidearm (Glock 27 in .40S&W). However seeing as I don't live with anyone, the possibilities of this are quite slim.

So maybe the PDX1 won't work for you in your current situation, but for me, as all I'm worried about are a couple of crazies in need of a good ass whoopin', or a 200 lbs wild boar (and the occasional coyote) I think the PDX1 performs brilliantly for my needs.
Old September 14, 2010, 09:22 PM   #9
Rampant_Colt

That Winchester PDX shotgun ammo is marketing hype 101... It's a problem searching for a solution. Buck n ball produces erratic patterns resulting in increased chance for collateral damages.

Reduced recoil buckshot is nearly half the price, has better patterns, and lighter recoil for faster follow-up shots with equal or better terminal performance than those novelty rounds.
Old September 15, 2010, 04:20 PM   #10
cdutton

It has its uses. It may not be for everyone, but it can be useful, especially in stopping an attacking wild boar in my front yard.