The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 1, 2013, 06:43 PM   #1
mrvco

Mr Clolion Noir + NRA News (vid inside)

Finally....

Open Your Eyes

Great news. It has been a long while since ANY of the NRA's media has actually gotten me excited. That positively awful "this ad is going to election" video from October(?) was dark days indeed.
Old March 1, 2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Slotback

Good move.
Old March 1, 2013, 07:42 PM   #3
BarryLee

Yes, short, grabs your attention and to the point. Now, let's hope a lot of folks see it that aren't already hanging out on gun forums.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 1, 2013, 08:20 PM   #4
SPEMack618

I intend to share it with my few followers on twitter, granted most of them are either on a gun forum or have thier own gun blog, if not both, but, to steal from the antis-, if it only reaches one person...
Old March 1, 2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

I caught one of his videos for the first time a few months back. He's articulate, concise, and convincing.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:28 AM   #6
cryogenic419

Working with this guy is one of the best PR moves the NRA could ever make. He's very good at making points, has a fairly large following on social media, and more importantly breaks the mold of people who like guns are only white males.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:37 AM   #7
JimPage

Well, it may be my age, but I can't understand what the fellow is saying. He talks so fast that he is unintelligible to me. Might be a good ad if the youngsters can understand it. I assume many identify with the guy.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old March 3, 2013, 12:02 AM   #8
mack59

He brings a young hip face and a quick wit and charisma to the face of the NRA. Glad to hear the news.
Old March 3, 2013, 01:11 AM   #9
LockedBreech

I've enjoyed this guys videos for months. Great production values, smooth, logical, calm, and classy.
Old March 3, 2013, 01:55 AM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

I've watched his videos for awhile, and I usually detest YouTube gun person lecture videos. Noir's different, though.

He's very well-spoken. You don't hear "um." He maintains a steady, if brisk cadence, with emphasis on the right words. The guy's a born orator.

Furthermore, he really does appeal to the middle instead of preaching to the choir. There's no real feeling of ego-feeding or chest-beating. The guy wants to make his point, and he does it well.

Then there's the fact that he's black. That does matter here. Noir can speak more credibly of the racism in gun control, and he can address inner city violence without sounding like a patronizing sociology professor.

He's an unexpected choice and a welcome surprise. Now, somebody get him to come on here and start posting!
Old March 3, 2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

For anyone who wants to see what else he's done, here's his facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/COLIONNOIR

ETA: Here's a little information from his YouTube page (http://www.youtube.com/user/MrColionNoir), as well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Colion Noir
Firearms Aficionado, Concealed Carrier, Gun Reviewer, Budding Attorney, Youtuber, but most people call me Mr. Colion Noir.

Last edited by Spats McGee; March 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old March 4, 2013, 08:43 PM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

MSN is even reporting on this one: http://news.msn.com/us/nra-enlists-b...ewest-pitchman
Old March 4, 2013, 09:11 PM   #13
jimbob86

I like his stuff .....

.... just not sure how to pronounce his first name.
Old March 4, 2013, 09:15 PM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm not entirely sure, either, but I'm sorely tempted to send him a PM inviting him to come visit us here on TFL.

Last edited by Spats McGee; March 4, 2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Way too much Southern drawl in my post
Old March 4, 2013, 09:21 PM   #15
jimbob86

I don't Facebook or Youtube, or I would right now.
Old March 4, 2013, 09:26 PM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm on FB and have been following his videos for a while. Unfortunately, YouTube is horribly slow, so it takes about 20 minutes to watch a 3 minute video . . .
Old March 5, 2013, 10:01 AM   #17
gaseousclay

i've seen a few of his videos and like what he has to say. however, if he is indeed acting as a spokesperson for the NRA he's going to have an up hill battle trying to persuade other non-NRA gun owners to join the cause. he states in his video that it's not a Republican or Democrat thing, sadly, this is precisely what the NRA has made it as evidenced by who they support and who their supporters are.
Old March 5, 2013, 10:53 AM   #18
I'vebeenduped

" I'm sorely tempted to send him a PM inviting him to come visit us here on TFL."

That sounds like a great idea, Spats!
Old March 5, 2013, 11:22 AM   #19
seeker_4

Love this guy... I put him on FB anyway!
Old March 5, 2013, 06:03 PM   #20
DaleA

"...I wish I had less bullets said....no one EVER whose been in a gun fight..."

My favorite line in the video. Thanks for posting the link.

The man's delivery and style are excellent and he makes some good points.
Old March 5, 2013, 06:17 PM   #21
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I like his stuff .....

.... just not sure how to pronounce his first name.
He pronounces it "Cohl-eeOn" in a few videos.
Old March 5, 2013, 06:26 PM   #22
MLeake

gaseousclay, either provide support for your claim (that you keep making, over and over ad infinitum) that the NRA only supports Republicans, or else cut your nonsense.

Otherwise, please explain Harry Reid and the many other democrats who have received A or A+ ratings, and NRA endorsements.

Since we both know that if you look, you will actually find the NRA tries to ignore party affiliation and go by voting records with regard to gun rights, I suspect you will instead throw some barbed statements about.

What I'd prefer you to do is actually show cases where an established, pro-gun rights D received unfair grades from the NRA. I suspect you will only be able to find that such a D did not receive an endorsement if the R he or she ran against had at least an equally strong record.

And if you can't do that, admit it.
Old March 5, 2013, 06:27 PM   #23
SPEMack618

According to Mr. ColionNoir's Twitter, he has already begun recieving hate mail and such from people who decry him as "token" in regards to being a spokesman for the NRA.

Sad, really.
Old March 5, 2013, 06:30 PM   #24
MLeake

This follows a standard pattern, unfortunately; on the bright side, cries of "token" are getting viewed with increasing skepticism, from what I read.
Old March 5, 2013, 06:45 PM   #25
Come and take it.

It would do a person well to do a heavy crash course on Reconstruction in the South. Jim Crow laws and segregation.

Very enlightening education for the person who thinks the Democratic party is the African Americans friend.